• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why does it seem like many Angels fans dislike Escobar?

i am able to separate the player from the person in most cases, and i can do so with escobar. even so, i never cared for his comments on gays. so for me, he's just another dumb guy who happens to be on the angels and not one that i actively cheer for or even care about.

19 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i never cared for his comments on gays

Yah I think it's pretty important that everyone should think the same way about everything and that there should be no such thing as differentiation in beliefs or thoughts. What an amazing place that would be. And if there's anyone that thinks different they should immediately be labeled as dumb, even though they have every right to feel the way they do about something as anyone else. There should be like a list with an order of how to live your life and what to believe so nobody strays away from perfection, and then everything in the world would be right. I hope someday the social justice warriors win, they sound like the best people to invite to parties.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

He has one skill set, getting on base.  He doesn't hit for power, is not a good or average base runner, he tends to make mental mistakes and likes to throw the ball away at third.  

And if not for the singles, his OBP wouldn't be that good as he doesn't walk a whole lot.   $7 million is an awful lot to pay to a singles hitter who can only field balls hit near him and is scatter armed.

4 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Yah I think it's pretty important that everyone should think the same way about everything and that there should be no such thing as differentiation in beliefs or thoughts. What an amazing place that would be. And if there's anyone that thinks different they should immediately be labeled as dumb, even though they have every right to feel the way they do about something as anyone else. There should be like a list with an order of how to live your life and what to believe so nobody strays away from perfection, and then everything in the world would be right. I hope someday the social justice warriors win, they sound like the best people to invite to parties.

They sound more fun than you. I'd rather have lunch with Rachel Dolezal than read that rant again.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:57 AM, ukyah said:

i am able to separate the player from the person in most cases, and i can do so with escobar. even so, i never cared for his comments on gays. so for me, he's just another dumb guy who happens to be on the angels and not one that i actively cheer for or even care about.

Has he said anything other than the under eye patch stunt he pulled years ago?  

FWIW..  What he said about how Latinos, specifically people in the Caribbean will use the term "maricon" was true...   I mean, it's a common joke for people, both men and women to refer to times when they are being playful or not acting like themselves as "mariconerias mias"  which would basically translate into "me being gay" or "my gayness".    In some ways, it's not unlike how blacks use "nigga" it's both inflammatory and banter depending on when and how it's used.   Right or wrong, he wasn't making that up, it was a cultural thing that didn't translate at all how he claimed to have meant it.  Again...  I'm not at all excusing it, I'm saying his explanation of why he did it the way he did, pretty much was in line with how a 20 something Cuban guy might respond to criticism in a playful way....

Beyond that -- he's a weird dude.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm not going to point out the obvious here as I'd like to know what other skill sets you think he has, especially to warrant this type of response. 

No response necessary ... it's a dead end street around here. There's fans around here that actually believe that Marte is a better fit at third base. 

It's doubtful the FO believes Escobar has one skill set. :)

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

No response necessary ... it's a dead end street around here. There's fans around here that actually believe that Marte is a better fit at third base. 

It's doubtful the FO believes Escobar has one skill set. :)

I believe Marte plus the asset that Escobar might return would be an improvement over Escobar.  Also, if the front office thinks he's anything above poor in baserunning, defense or power then they are wrong.  I think the team sees his one skill set being worth over looking his shortcomings.  Happens all the time. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I believe Marte plus the asset that Escobar might return would be an improvement over Escobar.  Also, if the front office thinks he's anything above poor in baserunning, defense or power then they are wrong.  I think the team sees his one skill set being worth over looking his shortcomings.  Happens all the time. 

They should hire you in a advisory position. Throwing seven million at a player who isn't a DH and has one skill is ridiculous.