• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone else a little worried about that Skaggs outing the other day ?

Obviously, it was his first outing of the Spring.  But for me anyway it was a little worrying to not see him even touch 90 with his fastball.  Really hoping that he dials it up going forward this spring.  I expect that he will.  That said if this guy has lost velocity he's in trouble.  Anyone else have any insight on this ?

Edited by UndertheHalo

These pitchers Shoe, Skaggs and Richards, are going to take longer than spring training to get it back together. That's one of the biggest reasons not much should be expected of this team early on, if at all, this season. If they can regain some level of earlier expectations, next season could get really interesting. I see this as a developmental year for the young starting staff and the younger guys in the bullpen. If they can all stay somewhat healthy and gain experience, next year it might come together.

Gotta have solid, experienced, pitching to really compete in this game. This season it's important to mold the foundation and get to that level.

18 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Not concerned at all, not even about Meyer. Once the seasom

atarts and they do this, then you're concerned. But every pitcher goes through a dead arm phase, every pitcher struggles with mechanics in Spring.

I'm often wrong..but I haven't seen anything mentally or physically from the guy that gives me much hope about Meyer.

What I can see, is why he is, where he is.

16 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I read on twitter that for the first couple of batters he was throwing 89 to 93 and after he walked a couple he began throwing in the mid 80s.

If you watch that inning, he started out with a smirk. He didn't wear it very long. 

17 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I'm often wrong..but I haven't seen anything mentally or physically from the guy that gives me much hope about Meyer.

What I can see, is why he is, where he is.

I watched his AAA starts, he came out there rejuvenated, and had a chip on his shoulder. He was attacking hitters, busting them under the hands at 97, making them jump at change ups. The slider last year looked outstanding.

The way I see it Meyer should be a very good major league starter once he does three things. 1. Stay healthy. 2. Repeat his delivery. 3. Throw strikes. 

And even if it doesn't work out the in the rotation, he could be Andrew Miller out of the bullpen, in one inning spurts, Meyer might hit triple digits regularly.

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I watched his AAA starts, he came out there rejuvenated, and had a chip on his shoulder. He was attacking hitters, busting them under the hands at 97, making them jump st change ups. The slider last year looked outstanding.

The way I see it Meyer should be a very good major league starter once he dies three things. 1. Stay healthy. 2. Repeat his delivery. 3. Throw strikes. 

And even if it doesn't work out the in the rotation, he could be Andrew Miller out of the bullpen, in one inning spurts, Meyer might hit triple digits regularly.

Like I said Scotty, I've been wrong before. He's trying to change his delivery and approach drastically right now.

Does anyone still think we should have brought in some BP arms to bridge the gap while we find out what we have and give them time to develop?

I know it was talked about here quite a bit and it's still early. Are there any arms still out there available? I guess I should say bargain arms the way Eppler works.

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

Does anyone still think we should have brought in some BP arms to bridge the gap while we find out what we have and give them time to develop?

I know it was talked about here quite a bit and it's still early. Are there any arms still out there available? I guess I should say bargain arms the way Eppler works.

They still can

17 minutes ago, Glen said:

It's a bit too early in ST to be worried but I understand the worry, given his history. He's close to being the Brandon Wood of pitchers for us.

Holy exaggeration Batman!....

Brandon Wood was one of the worst players in MLB for most of his career - his Angels career saw him put up an OPS+ of 22, Skaggs ERA+ as an Angel is 87.   He isn't remotely close to being the Brandon Wood of pitchers...  I get that he may not live up to his status as a top 10 prospect but, if he never gets any better than he's been he would still be an above average 4 or 5 pitcher.   

9 hours ago, Redondo said:

The last week of ST we should see some teams cutting loose some arms that will be waivered. Hopefully, there might be a clean peanut or 2.

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

Doesn't sound good...

Manager Mike Scioscia said Wednesday that the team’s medical staff put Skaggs through a post-game strength test that showed “a little bit of a deficit” in the shoulder “that has corrected itself.”

Skaggs is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Saturday and will be folded back into the rotation next week. Right-hander J.C. Ramirez will start in Skaggs’ place on Friday.

“He’s fine,” Scioscia said of Skaggs, “but we’re just trying to stay ahead of some stuff.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-tyler-skaggs-20170308-story.html

13 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Holy exaggeration Batman!....

Brandon Wood was one of the worst players in MLB for most of his career - his Angels career saw him put up an OPS+ of 22, Skaggs ERA+ as an Angel is 87.   He isn't remotely close to being the Brandon Wood of pitchers...  I get that he may not live up to his status as a top 10 prospect but, if he never gets any better than he's been he would still be an above average 4 or 5 pitcher.   

Skaggs really needs to show something more to earn the defense you are putting up for him. Maybe more than 10 starts a season would be a good beginning.