• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone else a little worried about that Skaggs outing the other day ?

Just now, Blarg said:

Skaggs really needs to show something more to earn the defense you are putting up for him. Maybe more than 10 starts a season would be a good beginning. 

What defense?  The numbers are what they are.  Equating his performance to date to that of Brandon Wood is whats indefensible..  

Skaggs needs to stay healthy, sure..  So does his statistical clone -- Andrew Heaney.  

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Manager Mike Scioscia said Wednesday that the team’s medical staff put Skaggs through a post-game strength test that showed “a little bit of a deficit” in the shoulder “that has corrected itself.”

Skaggs is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Saturday and will be folded back into the rotation next week. Right-hander J.C. Ramirez will start in Skaggs’ place on Friday.

“He’s fine,” Scioscia said of Skaggs, “but we’re just trying to stay ahead of some stuff.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-tyler-skaggs-20170308-story.html

Skaggs had Tommy John surgery 2 1/2 years ago. He should already have a healthy arm, shoulder and everything else. I'm not buying "he's fine"

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Manager Mike Scioscia said Wednesday that the team’s medical staff put Skaggs through a post-game strength test that showed “a little bit of a deficit” in the shoulder “that has corrected itself"

What the heck does that mean?  Now I really am worried....

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

What the heck does that mean?  Now I really am worried....

Did you read the article?....  it might make you a little less worried.  

Seems the team did a strength test immediately after his start and will doing them on a daily basis as a way to gauge fatigue and avoid injuries.   This probably is connected to them having hired a biomechanics dude, and the nutrition person -- the Angels are seemingly making a large move forward in certain areas.

Anyway, it sounds like they have reached the point where they can call fatigue what it is instead of calling it a "dead arm period."  You know, that thing people talk about every ST and pitchers either comment on how it usually hits them at the start or the end of ST...  whenever it suits them to put a label on a flat or a bad performance.

I dunno, seems like one of those things where people can go in different directions.   I personally was happy to see them not go Terry Collins mode and demand Skaggs toughen up and pitch through it.  Protecting their assets is the smart play but again..  some might read it to mean he's hurt and the sky is falling. 

44 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Did you read the article?....  it might make you a little less worried.  

Seems the team did a strength test immediately after his start and will doing them on a daily basis as a way to gauge fatigue and avoid injuries.   This probably is connected to them having hired a biomechanics dude, and the nutrition person -- the Angels are seemingly making a large move forward in certain areas.

Anyway, it sounds like they have reached the point where they can call fatigue what it is instead of calling it a "dead arm period."  You know, that thing people talk about every ST and pitchers either comment on how it usually hits them at the start or the end of ST...  whenever it suits them to put a label on a flat or a bad performance.

I dunno, seems like one of those things where people can go in different directions.   I personally was happy to see them not go Terry Collins mode and demand Skaggs toughen up and pitch through it.  Protecting their assets is the smart play but again..  some might read it to mean he's hurt and the sky is falling. 

Yes I read the article...and after last year, I'm still concerned. May be battered wife syndrome after last year....

It's hard to not be concerned about Skaggs, right? He's never handled a big workload, then went through TJ and now has experienced shoulder issues since returning from TJ. I'm still a big believer in his stuff and him being a mid rotation cog but the guy needs to get healthy. 

2 hours ago, Angels_Baseball said:

It's hard to not be concerned about Skaggs, right? He's never handled a big workload, then went through TJ and now has experienced shoulder issues since returning from TJ. I'm still a big believer in his stuff and him being a mid rotation cog but the guy needs to get healthy. 

The workloads have been partially due to his age -- he was always among the youngest pitchers in his leagues and yet if you compare his workloads to those of his rotation mates... he's pretty much been at the same pace.  

I do believe some of it is shell-shock like D-Vol mentioned.  Prior to his TJ surgery the only time he missed time with any semblance of an arm issue was in 2012 when he was rested the final six days of ST with Zona due to a "dead arm".  Based on Skaggs comments in Jeff Fletcher's OCR article, I think even Skaggs knows he needs to prove he can stay healthy.

As has been said by many here..   Pretty much the only SP that doesnt have some sort of injury related concern is Nolasco.   So, expect Nolasco to break down any day now. 

17 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Skaggs had Tommy John surgery 2 1/2 years ago. He should already have a healthy arm, shoulder and everything else. I'm not buying "he's fine"

Of course you're not, you're not happy unless bad things are happening.