• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official World Baseball Classic Thread

m0nkey

59 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

It's coming up soon but does anyone care?  I haven't seen a whole lot about it.  I'm thinking about hitting up a game in san diego or dodger stadium.

I care..don't really follow the news leading up to it, who is playing or who isn't..but once the games start it's really fun to watch. I love how the Latin and Asian fans get into it..kinda has an Olympic feel to it, and it's good baseball.

What's not to like? 

2 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I care..don't really follow the news leading up to it, who is playing or who isn't..but once the games start it's really fun to watch. I love how the Latin and Asian fans get into it..kinda has an Olympic feel to it, and it's good baseball.

What's not to like? 

I feel the same way. That said, I wish they did it in the middle of the season. Just take that year's American all-stars and let them be our team. I think that'd be a lot more fun. I still enjoy it in its present form, but it could be improved.

4 minutes ago, Don said:

I feel the same way. That said, I wish they did it in the middle of the season. Just take that year's American all-stars and let them be our team. I think that'd be a lot more fun. I still enjoy it in its present form, but it could be improved.

Not many All Stars would want to, or be allowed to, play in a series of games at Mid Season. Not a lot of all stars are playing in it as it is set up now.

I really dig it, will probably set aside work or some other activities to watch some games.  

MLB playoffs are not exciting to me without my horse in the race, but the finals/semis in WBC are neat.  It would be cool if we really stacked the USA team.  

When the Nederlands team put out that gutsy performance and beat the Dominicans twice, it was crazy.  They have a decent roster this year as well. 

13 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd love it if we saw Americans top talent like Trout, Harper, Betts.... and if it were shortened to a week long tournament and played at the all star break. 

Hard to go a week with how many teams and countries would be represented...... But, I could fore go the dull drums of July to come back to some meaningful Mid August/September games! Might actually inspire some cellar dwellers to step up!

My favorite thing is the early matchups around the country. I like the idea of watching a game at like 5 AM while drinking some coffee and watching a crowd doing chants and being excited. Not sure how many of the early match-ups I'll be able to see(probably be sleeping through most of them) but I dig the uniqueness of seeing a baseball game as I wake up and get ready for the day/.work

USA should own if the best players participated but they rarely do so it's hard to have a rooting interest since USA is usually putting out a lesser product of what they SHOULD be able to put out

I wish Shohei Otani was pitching this WBC so I could get a bettter look at him as a prospect tbh

some good baseball -- the last WBC -- when the finals were held at AT&T Park in SF -- I went to the games -- you may recall this was the year the USA team got knocked out before the games reached the finals in SF.

The Japanese fans were great -- really into the game -- the Latin American teams were stocked with talent.

the atmosphere in that great ballpark by the Bay in SF was electric.

The games I saw were a lot of fun -- tickets (mainly because the US team was OUT) were not that difficult to get and not that expensive......

I'd recommend taking in a game if you get the chance -- especially if you've never been -- it's a great experience and they only play this what? every four years or something.

Israel won.

Saw a story somewhere -- ESPN? -- talking about the Israel team and mentioning that Jerry Weinstein was the manager/ coach of the team,

The sportswriter/ columnist guy then made some snarky remark  -- who's he? never heard of him type remark.

Well, Jerry Weinstein, long time Sacramento City College baseball coach and one of the winningest junior college coaches of all time, also has been a MLB scout and coach........I know he did some scouting for the Dodgers and then went -- I think to Arizona did some on field base coaching but I think they bumped him to a better spot as coordinator of minor league player development..........a perfect role for him.

expect Israel team to play above their level with Weinstein at the helm..........

12 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Israel won.

Saw a story somewhere -- ESPN? -- talking about the Israel team and mentioning that Jerry Weinstein was the manager/ coach of the team,

The sportswriter/ columnist guy then made some snarky remark  -- who's he? never heard of him type remark.

Well, Jerry Weinstein, long time Sacramento City College baseball coach and one of the winningest junior college coaches of all time, also has been a MLB scout and coach........I know he did some scouting for the Dodgers and then went -- I think to Arizona did some on field base coaching but I think they bumped him to a better spot as coordinator of minor league player development..........a perfect role for him.

expect Israel team to play above their level with Weinstein at the helm..........

No, this game is live right now on MLB network. They beat Korea last night.

The Israelites are back today (it's noon there) on a short turn-around. 

Borenstein should end up being a solid major leaguer like Daniel Nava.....(duck).....

Another familiar name, Blake Gaelin, he's an Indy Ball hero I watched play in Chico. The last time I saw him play affiliated ball was back in AA for the Angels, hitting right in front of a 18/19 year old Mike Trout.