• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels will stay at Angels stadium until 2028

JAHV76

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/2017-18-mlb-free-agent-list.html

Not going to lie, regardless of what we do it was nice to read Fletcher's tweet with Arte's quote about spending. Gear up for what could potentially be the last few years of Trout while spending the last few building the farm. I just needed to hear he was willing to spend money again. Now let's just hope he leaves the decision making up to Eppler.

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

How about JD Martinez in left and Jake Arrietta on the mound? Mebbe Todd Frazier at third? Probably cant afford all that.

Budget options from that list? Moustakas, Bastardo and JD Martinez? 

It will be interesting to see what Altuve gets. I expect that the Astros will certainly try and buy out a few of his FA years. If not, then they exercise their club option, he walks after 2018.  and he will be a good indicator as to what Trout might get on the open market, two years later. 

Stability is a good thing.  A high payroll is a good thing.  

I hope they do some renovating of the stadium though.  I honestly think there is going to be something with that development project going around the stadium.  

current payroll sits at a shade below 170mil.  Which would be an opening day record even over last year.  They added Maybin (9mil), Valbuena (6.5mil), Espinosa (5.42mil), Bailey (1m), Maldonado (1.73m), Revere (4m), Chavez (5.75m) and exercised Escobar's option (7m).  All but Valbuena come off the books next year as does Nolasco, Pennington, and Street (23.25m total) and Hamilton's donation (26.4m).  With a few increases here and there, it looks like our payroll will start the 2017/18 off season at around 120m.  

The Valbuena singing added a fair amount of flexibility for next year so our major needs for 2018 will likely be LF, 2b and bullpen.  

Next year's rotation will likely have some depth but that will be contingent on guys recovering from injury and the maintained health of Skaggs and Richards.    

It still comes down to the level of influence Arte has on which free agents we bring in.  

Arrieta is going to be 32 for his first season after signing what will likely be a deal in excess of 100mil.  I don't like the idea of that for the halos at all.  

I could see us doing the stop gap thing again next year with the hope that we could add a front line starter and position player for the 2019 team.  

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But I thought he was committed to lowering the payroll 

I can see the Angels signing free agents at reasonable cost but gone are days that Arte gets into bidding wars. If he was serious about spending we would see Wieters wearing an Angels uniform this season. This team is loaded with stop gaps with a serious unknown future plan.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:
3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I could see us doing the stop gap thing again next year with the hope that we could add a front line starter and position player for the 2019 team.  

What makes 2018 seem like another stop gap year? Why wait till 2019? Is the FA crop so much superior that year?

By 2019, Albert will be ancient. By 2019, there would  be only two more years to win with Trout, barring an extension.

And if he refuses an extension, then 2019 is probably the most advantageous year to consider trading him for what you could get. Given the state of our farm system, it could become a serious consideration.

Jake Arrietta might be in the best shape of any 32 year old pitcher I have ever seen.

4 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I can see the Angels signing free agents at reasonable cost but gone are days that Arte gets into bidding wars. If he was serious about spending we would see Wieters wearing an Angels uniform this season. This team is loaded with stop gaps with a serious unknown future plan.

When has Arte ever gotten into a "bidding war"?

5 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Wieters was a tough call. Who could have known he would still be around and his value deflating? Eppler probably considered him too expensive, early on, to spend that kind of money at catcher, when he had more pressing holes in left, second, bullpen, starters, 1st  base (with the Albert injury). So, he traded for Maldonado. He cant go back now, not after having given up his best catching prospect in Bandy. It would make no sense.

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

When has Arte ever gotten into a "bidding war"?

Well he lost the bidding war for Teixeira, he beat out St Louis for Pujols and then he beat out Texas for Hamilton. He wanted nothing to do with going all in against the Dodgers on Greinke. He stayed out of the Yankees way for Tanaka. There's going to be a bidding war coming soon for Harper and a future bidding war for Trout.

Let's see how Arte plays it.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I hope they do some renovating of the stadium though.  I honestly think there is going to be something with that development project going around the stadium.  

A giant new scoreboard would be nice. Urinals with separation screens. Remove the rock pile?

Move the fence in 10 feet all the way around.