• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Eppler on Rebuilding the Angels

Insightful article over on Fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/billy-eppler-on-rebuilding-the-angels/

Billy Eppler on Rebuilding the Angels

Thirteen months ago, we ran an interview titled Billy Eppler on Taking the Reins in Anaheim. At the time, Eppler was a first-year general manager, 100-plus days into his tenure. He’d come to the Angels from New York, where he’d spent 11 years in the Yankees front office. Armed with a background in scouting and player development, and a degree in finance, he was being entrusted to rebuild a moribund farm system while staying competitive in the American League West.

Progress has come slowly, at least on the surface. The Angels struggled in 2016, winning just 74 games and finishing in fourth place. Pitching injuries were a culprit — they remain a concern — while an offense led by the incomparable Mike Troutscored fewer runs than all but five AL squads. As for the prospect pipeline, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Keith Law recently ranked the Angels’ farm system, which was dead last a year ago, 27th of the 30 organizations.

Eppler didn’t make a splash over the offseason — there was nothing as notable as last winter’s Andrelton Simmons acquisition — but there were some meaningful moves. Cameron Maybin is now an Angel, as are Danny Espinosa, Martin Maldonado, and Luis Valbuena. In the opinion of some, Eppler’s club can contend this season if the pitchers — particularly Garrett Richards — remain in one piece.

Eppler discussed the team’s direction, and the philosophies set forth by his “Office of the GM” earlier this week.

———

To read the full article click here

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Just an FYI, you can't copy and paste entire articles. Link it with some small quotes.

But great article - I have even more faith in Eppler as he sounds like a really smart guy, and he doesn't have the quick trigger finger ADHD 12-year old enthusiasm that Jerry Dipoto did (and does).

Based on the transaction log, Eppler has pulled the trigger more in his 16 months than Dipoto did in his first 16 months. 

“At the end of the day, we’re trying to get 27 outs. We’re taking a mindset of, ‘How many of these guys can go out and get us four out, or six outs, or eight outs?’ It doesn’t matter how you do it. All that matters is that you get 27. It doesn’t matter if your starter goes seven innings, and here comes your ‘eighth-inning player’ and your ‘ninth-inning player.’ It also doesn’t matter if your starter goes three-and-a-third innings, and you have these multiple-inning relievers in your bullpen to pick up the rest, with maybe a guy remaining for the ninth.

love it.  good article.  worth the read.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

“At the end of the day, we’re trying to get 27 outs. We’re taking a mindset of, ‘How many of these guys can go out and get us four out, or six outs, or eight outs?’ It doesn’t matter how you do it. All that matters is that you get 27. It doesn’t matter if your starter goes seven innings, and here comes your ‘eighth-inning player’ and your ‘ninth-inning player.’ It also doesn’t matter if your starter goes three-and-a-third innings, and you have these multiple-inning relievers in your bullpen to pick up the rest, with maybe a guy remaining for the ninth.

love it.  good article.  worth the read.  

I was literally about to quote that exact same paragraph, tag you and say "I think Doc just came" 

this is hilarious. we wanted to make it digestible for those who don't understand this shit.

We wanted it to be organizational, and to where our team president and our owner could understand as well. On the back end, through our analytics, we can make that a little more complex if we choose.

3 hours ago, LooneyPlatoons said:

ok, wasn't sure if that was a rule.  

It's a copyright issue rather than a rule. When I post articles on my own board, I post a link along with a couple of passages from the article so that the users get a general idea what it's all about. Quoting entire articles can cause legal problems, and I had rather not have to hire a lawyer because of an activity that generates no income for me. The users on my board have been instructed about it.

I like the fact that Eppler mentioned international scouting twice - an area in which this organization hasn't done much in recent years.

53 minutes ago, ukyah said:

this is hilarious. we wanted to make it digestible for those who don't understand this shit.

We wanted it to be organizational, and to where our team president and our owner could understand as well. On the back end, through our analytics, we can make that a little more complex if we choose.

Eppler is a great communicator.  It is a skill that should not be undervalued.

Great article, so let me add my thanks for the link.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I kind of doubt Hamilton would be in the mix. Eppler, I believe, has enough stones to look Arte in the eye and say, no,  we will find a better way. 

I think Eppler would take the time and have the courtesy to present a reasonable argument as to why Hamilton wouldn't have been a good move.  He'd have involved everyone he mentioned in the article in the process and made everyone to feel like they had input.  Jerry wanted to be in charge and not have to answer to anyone.  I don't think his problem was a lack of stones.  It was probably the opposite.  

I believe Dipoto thought he was the smartest guy in the room,  which he might have been but that doesn't say much for the room. 

In Epplers case he may just be the smartest guy in most every room but he isn't telling or showing everyone it. He is letting them include themselves in the best ideas so they think either they are in charge or at least feel it was their best idea being fleshed out. 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

We'd have Puols and the residuals of a hamilton contract.  

And more likely than not -- a farm system.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I believe Dipoto thought he was the smartest guy in the room,  which he might have been but that doesn't say much for the room. 

In Epplers case he may just be the smartest guy in most every room but he isn't telling or showing everyone it. He is letting them include themselves in the best ideas so they think either they are in charge or at least feel it was their best idea being fleshed out. 

Nailed it.  He didn't have to listen to anyone else because he knew better.  

20 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Just an FYI, you can't copy and paste entire articles. Link it with some small quotes.

But great article - I have even more faith in Eppler as he sounds like a really smart guy, and he doesn't have the quick trigger finger ADHD 12-year old enthusiasm that Jerry Dipoto did (and does).

I have been pleasantly surprised. Really thought he did as much as he could in the offseason.

i like eppler, but you guys are deep into the affairs of a spring romance. we could easily go back and find countless love letters like this to dipoto somewhere in the angelswin attic. the truth is dipoto did lots of good things, but for reasons beyond our pay grade was unable to work with scioscia and the coaches, and seemingly was getting too much owner involvement. eppler has done a very good job with what he has at his disposal and has shown an ability to work with mike and the coaches, whether that is reflective of a skillset he possesses or if it's a byproduct of the dysfunction that immediately preceded him are details that are also over our pay grade.

it's inconvenient to look at a situation as more than good or bad. the truth is that eppler and dipoto are more than likely on par with each other, the difference is mostly timing in relation to what has come before you.

20 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i like eppler, but you guys are deep into the affairs of a spring romance. we could easily go back and find countless love letters like this to dipoto somewhere in the angelswin attic. the truth is dipoto did lots of good things, but for reasons beyond our pay grade was unable to work with scioscia and the coaches, and seemingly was getting too much owner involvement. eppler has done a very good job with what he has at his disposal and has shown an ability to work with mike and the coaches, whether that is reflective of a skillset he possesses or if it's a byproduct of the dysfunction that immediately preceded him are details that are also over our pay grade.

it's inconvenient to look at a situation as more than good or bad. the truth is that eppler and dipoto are more than likely on par with each other, the difference is mostly timing in relation to what has come before you.

I think after Reagins, DiPoto seemed like a God send.  So yeah, there were "love letters" as you say.  But then the honeymoon was over and we realized that DiPoto wasn't clicking for this org.  Eppler is finally the right fit.

2 hours ago, jordan111280 said:

I think after Reagins, DiPoto seemed like a God send.  So yeah, there were "love letters" as you say.  But then the honeymoon was over and we realized that DiPoto wasn't clicking for this org.  Eppler is finally the right fit.

i think that's a fair response and characterization.