• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Padres offer Weaver $1.75

daygloman

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/report-padres-have-made-an-offer-of-more-than-1-75-million-to-jered-weaver/

CLEVELAND, OH - AUGUST 14:  Jered Weaver #36 of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitches against the Cleveland Indians during the first inning at Progressive Field on August 14, 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by David Maxwell/Getty Images)
David Maxwell/Getty Images

Report: Padres have made an offer of more than $1.75 million to Jered Weaver

3 Comments

The Padres have reportedly made an offer of more than $1.75 million to free agent starter Jered Weaver, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports.

Weaver, 34, isn’t the pitcher he was three years ago when he led the American League with 18 wins. He finished this past season with a 5.06 ERA and a 103/51 K/BB ratio in 178 innings. His fastball velocity, a point of concern for the last two years, dropped to 83 MPH on average.

What Weaver does offer, though, is experience and the ability to lead a pitching staff. If he were to join the Padres, he would slot in ahead of Clayton Richard and Jhoulys Chacin in what is an uninspiring rotation.

If he wants to keep pitching, there's really nowhere better for him to keep going. He'll benefit from having a lot of games in Petco, Dodger Stadium, and AT&T, facing a pitcher more, new league, still close to home, etc. He finished the year strong enough that I imagine he'll want to at least give it a chance.

i bnI'm an Angels and Padres fan. 

$1.75 is a good price for Weaver.

$175, yeah I guess so. 

$1,750, I dunno, that's a lot.

$17,500, nope, way too much.

$175,000, to play baseball? No.

$1,750,000 for a 6.00 ERA and 81 mph fastball? I think we could coax a random JC pitcher to come out and do that for free.

Are people really at all upset about this?

From Weaver's perspective: He wants to pitch. They are paying him. And there's pretty much no where better to pitch who is offering him any money. The only thing he loses is not playing every game for the same team. But he'll always be an Angel in the same way GA is. Is it going to tarnish his legacy as a pitcher if he goes out there and puts up a 5.50 ERA? It's not like he hasn't been that pitcher the last 2 years. It's not like if he walked away the last thing we'd remember is him pitching well for a good team and he'd ruin that.

From a Padres perspective: $1.75 million is pocket change for an MLB team, even one as small market as the Pads. Weaver is more likely to put butts in the seats than anyone else they could sign for that price. They weren't going to win anyway so maybe this generates some buzz among the not so knowledgeable fans. 

I don't blame Weaver if he accepts because it's about him playing a game he still enjoys that he's been playing most of his life and this opportunity is close to home.  Professional athletes have a small career in the grand scheme of things when you consider that even the best who stay healthy are done before they're 40 for the most part.  In his case that window is likely even smaller as a player and it can be hard on anyone to walk away when they've still hopefully got another 40+ years of living to do.