• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

25 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Got me thinking about some creative trades and signings. I was thinking we could trade Calhoun to the Cards for Wong and a pitcher and then sign Fowler. 

Damn it I'm so bored, DO SOMETHING EPP. We are all over here coming up with crazy scenarios that will never happen. 

That would totally blow if Calhoun is shipped off. He'd probably be the 2nd coming of Edmonds for the Cards with our luck...

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

What bad contract (that expires in one or two years) attached to a good player can the Angels acquire to help in 2017/18?

Since no prospects to trade, absorb some money if it is expiring sometime soon?

One thought that came up in my brain was the Angels trading Huston Street, C.J. Cron, and Carlos Perez to the Twins for Joe Mauer and Brian Dozier where we take on all of Mauer's contract. However that would be a difficult one to pull off especially now that the Twins signed Castro although Perez could certainly be his backup if they wanted to do that. Of course that fills our 2B hole but it opens up problems at C and RP for us too. Both of those could still be addressed in FA though.

27 minutes ago, Tank said:

i hope you didn't miss the mike marshall era. it was epic, almost as epic as the raul mondesi era in anaheim.

Unfortunately I have no memory of Mike Marshall. I only knew Valenzuela and Parker were a big deal because my dad told me they were good once... I specifically remember Parker striking out, his only at bat I remember in what was apparently 501 forgettable PA's in 1991.

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

And the Von Hayes, Hubie Brooks, Eddie Murray, Gary Gaetti, & Dave Winfield's of the world. 

I remember Winfield hitting for the cycle. He still had one good year left in the tank with Toronto in '92.

Funny looking these all up, they all happened in the 1991 season. Must be the first season I have any memory of.

37 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Got me thinking about some creative trades and signings. I was thinking we could trade Calhoun to the Cards for Wong and a pitcher and then sign Fowler. 

Damn it I'm so bored, DO SOMETHING EPP. We are all over here coming up with crazy scenarios that will never happen. 

No. Don't just do something...that was probably the thinking behind the Vernon Wells trade.

Face it boys, this roster twerking is a year round exercise anymore.  Don't get sucked into making a deal just because the Winter Meetings are occurring.  The Rule V Draft is tomorrow, I'm sure we will have some participation in that event.

Man, all this doom and gloom is funny. It's really early still. Who's off the board? Who did we miss out on? Chris Sale? Wade Davis? Rich Hill? Reddick? Desmond? Ramos?

None of those guys really fit our needs. Justin Turner is still out there, Ivan Nova and Jason Hammel are still out there, there are a couple dozen suitable relievers still on the market, and we have numerous second basemen available via trade that will be better than what we trotted out last year. At least wait till someone we may have actually signed goes off the board before you lose all hope.

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Man, all this doom and gloom is funny. It's really early still. Who's off the board? Who did we miss out on? Chris Sale? Wade Davis? Rich Hill? Reddick? Desmond? Ramos?

None of those guys really fit out needs. Justin Turner is still out there, Ivan Nova and Jason Hammel are still out there, there are a couple dozen suitable relievers still on the market, and we have numerous second basemen available via trade that will be better than what we trotted out last year. At least wait till someone we may have actually signed goes off the board before you lose all hope.

Seriously 

image.png

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It's not losing hope.  it's boredom.  

It's also the franchise value of 1.34 billion, zero debt, revenue of 312 mil (7th) and 41.7mil in operating income yet the proclamation that we're up against the wall with a payroll of $152 mil.  

Agreed.

I agree with calzone, we should be diligent on big spending. that said, the way weve operated the few years is "unacceptable" (not really, we have no stake in the company). 

No one is saying we have to outspend the competition. but with holes on the big club, and no patches in the minors, theres no reason to not fix at least some of the problems with money thats in the bank account.

I cant blame arte for being gunshy after some of the recent disasters. wed all be. but just ignoring the problem isnt any kind of solution either....especially after several years of it.

Time to make a move Eppler. This has been a snooze-fest. I know you say you've been active, but without anything to show for it, can we be so patient as fans? You have to understand, we endured Tony Reagins who would show up late and talk about how productive it was, in just the same manner you are. This is a team whose biggest move in FA in the last 3+ years was signing Joe Smith to be our setup man. 

It's a long time coming. You've got the Rule 5 Draft and one more day to get something done. I want to come away from DC with a shiny new 2B, dynamic 4th OF, solid veteran reliever and someone to dream on from the Rule 5.

I know it's a lot to ask to get done in one day, but I've grown weary checking MLBTR twice an hour and reading about the proactive moves every other team has made, and even the guys they're connected to, all except us.

GIVE US SOMETHING...

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Time to make a move Eppler. This has been a snooze-fest. I know you say you've been active, but without anything to show for it, can we be so patient as fans? You have to understand, we endured Tony Reagins who would show up late and talk about how productive it was, in just the same manner you are. This is a team whose biggest move in FA in the last 3+ years was signing Joe Smith to be our setup man. 

It's a long time coming. You've got the Rule 5 Draft and one more day to get something done. I want to come away from DC with a shiny new 2B, dynamic 4th OF, solid veteran reliever and someone to dream on from the Rule 5.

I know it's a lot to ask to get done in one day, but I've grown weary checking MLBTR twice an hour and reading about the proactive moves every other team has made, and even the guys they're connected to, all except us.

GIVE US SOMETHING...

twice an hour?  liar.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

twice an hour?  liar.  

Children need to learn, and I can't be that teacher that sits at his desk and ignores them. I have to check between periods, and once quickly while they're checking HW or doing observations/journaling. 

Maybe in my college days I could go every 5 minutes, but now I have to be a semi-responsible adult. 

Man, Eppler has done more before the Winter Meetings each of the last two years than most teams do before the end of the calendar year. No one aside from the Nats, White Sox, and Red Sox has done much of anything so far, and the Astros a couple weeks back.

Chapman signing should get things moving. Jansen probably soon behind, and that's going to influence a lot of the Dodgers plans, which is going to affect a lot of teams and players. 

Tomorrow may have a good bit of activity.

37 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Agreed.

I agree with calzone, we should be diligent on big spending. that said, the way weve operated the few years is "unacceptable" (not really, we have no stake in the company). 

No one is saying we have to outspend the competition. but with holes on the big club, and no patches in the minors, theres no reason to not fix at least some of the problems with money thats in the bank account.

I cant blame arte for being gunshy after some of the recent disasters. wed all be. but just ignoring the problem isnt any kind of solution either....especially after several years of it.

What upsets me is that, despite the bad luck that has been the Pujols/Hamilton/Wilson contracts we've been just as lucky with Trout's production. Skaggs, Calhoun, Simmons, Heaney, Cron, Shoemaker, Bandy, Perez, Bedrosian, Richards are all young, cheap and talented. Our farm may suck but we haven't felt the worst of it yet. 

Our main problem the last couple of seasons has been an unwillingness to spend to acquire even just below average production at LF, 2B and the back of the bullpen.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Man, Eppler has done more before the Winter Meetings each of the last two years than most teams do before the end of the calendar year. No one aside from the Nats, White Sox, and Red Sox has done much of anything so far, and the Astros a couple weeks back.

Chapman signing should get things moving. Jansen probably soon behind, and that's going to influence a lot of the Dodgers plans, which is going to affect a lot of teams and players. 

Tomorrow may have a good bit of activity.

You got that right. Minutes after Chapman deal is announced, we get this