• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teams want Shoemaker/Skaggs, Brian Dozier a real possibility? (Ken Rosenthal)

KevinJ14

Why would the Angels, a team already thin on starting pitching, consider moving Skaggs or Shoemaker, both of whom are under control for four more seasons?

As always, it depends upon the potential return.

If the Angels can get the player they want — say, an everyday second baseman — they then would need to measure the dropoff from Skaggs or Shoemaker to a lesser starter and the overall impact on the club.

The Angels plan to try right-hander J.C. Ramirez at starter and recently signed righty Jesse Chavez with the same intent. Their other alternatives for the rotation include left-hander Nate Smith and right-handers Alex Meyer, Vicente Campos and Daniel Wright.

Could the Angels build a package around Skaggs for Twins second baseman Brian Dozier? Remains to be seen. The team has backed off the Phillies’ Cesar Hernandez, according to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chris-sale-nationals-braves-blue-jays-astros-kendrys-morales-notes-111516

Eppler traded Newcomb and Ellis for Simmons last year.  My first impression was that this was a big gamble.

For that reason it wouldn't surprise me if he made another super unorthodox move.

Eppler certainly thinks outside the box.  This might be an entertaining off season for us.

Seriously, if we match up with the Twins on a trade for Dozier, then they suck worse than we do top to bottom.  I highly doubt our top guy would be in their top five of prospects.  

I would love to have Dozier, but if it costs us Skaggs, Cron and 2 or 3 minor leaguers, it might not be worth it.  That being said if they are interested in a salary dump and want to throw in Mauer and Dozier for Skaggs, Cron and one minor leaguer I wouldn't be opposed, but then again, I don't care about Arte's money like some others do.  

I mentioned it in the thread that was deleted, but got me wondering about other teams that may have an expensive 2B and SP that they'd like to move in return for Shoe or Skaggs. Kinsler and Anibal Sanchez, Starlin Castro and Sabathia, Phillips/Cosart and Homer Bailey...

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would not take Sabathia.  

Not for one year? He was solid last season and pulled off a decent 180 innings. With his age, weight, and alcoholism issues there's definitely a risk of breakdown, but that's why we've amassed so many AAA starters. If he stays healthy though he'd eat some innings at the back of the rotation. Castro would be a decent 2B.

I wouldn't give up Skaggs or Shoemaker for that combo though. We'd need a top prospect coming back as well before I listened. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Seriously, if we match up with the Twins on a trade for Dozier, then they suck worse than we do top to bottom.  I highly doubt our top guy would be in their top five of prospects.  

I would love to have Dozier, but if it costs us Skaggs, Cron and 2 or 3 minor leaguers, it might not be worth it.  That being said if they are interested in a salary dump and want to throw in Mauer and Dozier for Skaggs, Cron and one minor leaguer I wouldn't be opposed, but then again, I don't care about Arte's money like some others do.  

Good thinking, Strad...

I like it. If it's a salary dump in taking Mauer and Dozier for Skaggs and Cron + Sum Yung Gui, I'm for that too. Mauer takes over 1B until Thiass is ready. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Good thinking, Strad...

I like it. If it's a salary dump in taking Mauer and Dozier for Skaggs and Cron + Sum Yung Gui, I'm for that too. Mauer takes over 1B until Thiass is ready. 

If Mauer could be Markakis-like in production and just give us a lot of doubles, walks, a .275+ average and good defense at first he'd be pretty solid.

I think this is just Rosenthal going for clicks though.