• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teams want Shoemaker/Skaggs, Brian Dozier a real possibility? (Ken Rosenthal)

KevinJ14

CSNPHILLY thinks Skaggs for Hernandez could be a thing. But it's right after they explain his two biggest comps (Bourn and Span) went for a middle reliever and nothing prospect. 

By that logic, we can trade JC Ramirez and Kyle McGowin for Cesar.

Of course this isn't to say we can trade spare parts for Hernandez. But it does illuminate the fact that teams won't pay a large sum to acquire a player with no power, low IQ and questionable off the field behavior.

Think of it like this, what I just described is pretty similar to Yunel Escobar. We were able to acquire him for a decent young reliever who ended up in AAA last year.

So, a fair price for Hernandez given recent history, current entities and the Phillies needs? 

Alex Meyer. 

Would I do it? No, but that's a fair price.

20 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Brian Dozier is coming off a 6.5 win season. He would cost a lot more than Tyler Skaggs.

Also we traded Santiago awhile ago.

I meant Santiago or Santana coming back. Sorry Typo.

With Dozier and Hernandez, I'm afraid of buying high after career years from both. 

Having said that, I think this is at least interesting in the sense that in opens up a new possible route to upgrading the team, I don't think many were thinking of before. I'm not comfortable trading Skaggs or Shoey (especially with the available options in free agency) but if the team feels like Skaggs' elbow/arm are cause for long-term health concerns, maybe it would be a viable time to flip him? Or maybe they don't think Shoemaker's success is sustainable and sell him at his peak value. 

Either way, I think it's important to at least take this into consideration, just depending on the return, and how they fill the void left by Matt or Tyler. Maybe the package is based more around prospects who are knocking on the door? I don't know, I just think it gets the ball rolling on some out-of-the-box ideas, which is what Eppler seems to love to do. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I say forget Dozier. Chicks and Angelswin.com posters dig the long ball but I'd rather have Cesar Hernandez from Philly. If it cost Skaggs and I could get some other pieces back I'd be all over that. 

Yeah I wouldn't do Skaggs for Hernandez straight up, especially with the price tags that should be on SP. 

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Hernandez and Mark Appel for Skaggs

I'd do that. Don't think Philly would. I know it won't happen - and it may not be worth wondering about if the QO goes away - but if they didn't want to spent that $17m on Hellickson could they deal him after he's now accepted?

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd do that. Don't think Philly would. I know it won't happen - and it may not be worth wondering about if the QO goes away - but if they didn't want to spent that $17m on Hellickson could they deal him after he's now accepted?

Yes. They could deal him. Only because he accepted it. And when he actually signs it. 

I think the Angels would have to throw in a prospect or two not named Ward, Thaiss or jones. But I could see Middleton going back to the Phils.

17 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Twins pitching and minor league system is in trouble..... Trust me! Don't believe the hype there is a ton of stuff going on in the back office there. From the GM office all the way down to the Minor League development guys. Spoke with a few players and they have said that most hope when the phone rings that they have been traded or even released these are the kids... It was mentioned as too many chiefs not enough Indians each coach and everyone involved has a different idea and thought process from coaches, scouts, everyone also pops off on each other and there is zero continuity or communication other than being hacked by 5-10 different people in the back on a weekly basis. The org has changed since Gardenhire and Terry Ryan left and most players even the long term guys quit talking and are biding their time.

That's too bad because they have several nice pieces in place to make a run at it.... Buxton, Kepler, Sano, Polanco, Berrios, that is a good core of young players there.

21 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

CSNPHILLY thinks Skaggs for Hernandez could be a thing. But it's right after they explain his two biggest comps (Bourn and Span) went for a middle reliever and nothing prospect. 

By that logic, we can trade JC Ramirez and Kyle McGowin for Cesar.

Of course this isn't to say we can trade spare parts for Hernandez. But it does illuminate the fact that teams won't pay a large sum to acquire a player with no power, low IQ and questionable off the field behavior.

Think of it like this, what I just described is pretty similar to Yunel Escobar. We were able to acquire him for a decent young reliever who ended up in AAA last year.

So, a fair price for Hernandez given recent history, current entities and the Phillies needs? 

Alex Meyer. 

Would I do it? No, but that's a fair price.

You did.....regarding inability to play defense, all around show up-manship on the field, and non-clubhouse guy. Which could call into his personal off the field life...

How would either of Hernandez or Dozier play in our park?  Philadelphia is a hitters park, don't know about Minnesota.  Of the two, I'd have more interest in Hernandez, mostly due to the high OBP. 

Dozier has appeal for the HR power, but his low BA and high K numbers probably wouldn't be of interest to Eppler.