• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels should bring in Josh Reddick

Lefty power hitters suffer from the RF setup here.

That plus the bad hitting vs lefties = something to be very cautious with.

A Jay/Marte platoon, with Marte also platooning with Cowart at 3B is a decent option.   But can Cowart hit well enough and can Marte be decent enough defensively at two positions?

21 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

The Angels were 42-40 from July 1st

Think about it ...

this is actually pretty disappointing.  didn't we go from having like the 3rd pick in the draft to like the 10th or the 11th by the time we were done with our hot streak in September.  Good lord, its like the most Angels thing ive ever heard.   Nice work Angels ! 

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

this is actually pretty disappointing.  didn't we go from having like the 3rd pick in the draft to like the 10th or the 11th by the time we were done with our hot streak in September.  Good lord, its like the most Angels thing ive ever heard.   Nice work Angels ! 

It got better than that, 25-19 to close the season.   The pitching was encouraging during that time.  But some of it may not be sustainable.

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It got better than that, 25-19 to close the season.   The pitching was encouraging during that time.  But some of it may not be sustainable.

The team was 18 games better after July 1st!

I believe the pitching will be more than sustainable with Richards back and Skaggs should improve. Plus, will still have the off season to improve.

On 10/16/2016 at 0:32 AM, UndertheHalo said:

I dunno, maybe i'm missing something on Marte.  I think 5/75 sounds about right, and i'd be ok with them paying it.

Why are we even talking 5 years?....... If he's aging and his metrics are down would 4/60 (also equals 15Mper) with a team option for a 5th year if you must go that far? with a 1M buy out ?

19 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Sorry, the guy has only played more than 115 games twice in his career and has never had even one season of .800 OPS (.640 career OPS vs. LHP). Then again, an aging, injury prone outfielder who has never hit well in Angels' Stadium, sound like a perfect fit according to past acquisitions. The guy will go to a bandbox like Arlington and rake.

Most of the guys around here wanted Adam Lind and his .224 career avg at Anaheim Stadium! So, Reddick would be an upgrade!

18 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

If the Angels choose to sign someone for LF, the two I think they are the most likely to sign are Jon Jay or Colby Rasmus.  Both would be inexpensive compared to the rest on the market.

Rasmus' strike out #'s would be Historic here!!!! Something to look forward to here! :)

15 hours ago, disarcina said:

Reddick -- that's what the Angels need - a guy rejected by the A's and then the Dodgers.

great way to build for the future.......

Look, Reddick is OK - had some good years with Oakland -- I just think if we sign him we're looking at a two year stop gap plan for the Halos -- which, realistically, may be where the Halos are right now.  If we get Reddick during the off-season, it sort of confirms that's where the Halos are.......oh well.

perhaps you can chalk this post up to yours truly not really wanting to acknowledge reality -- that is - -the 2017 and perhaps '18 season(s) may be already over for us.

Every guy we bring in should be a stop gap that has a little something left in the tank! Just to get us to a newer model! Think of us as the Hipster in the middle of a sea of 35 year old ex-day time Soap Opera queens looking for the next Gisele Bundchen!

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don't think he commands 5/100 just because of his injury history.  I think last year we finally saw the market show some resistance to the sky rocketing salaries that we've seen in the last decade.  Cespedes and Upton being very well paid (Cespedes notably only got a 1 year deal), but good examples of guys that many teams just turned away from.  I think that trend will continue.  I don't think Reddick will be viewed in a better light then those two.  Obviously I agree with you that Reddick is a good player though.  Some of the posters here seem to think that a guy has to be a perennial all star or he's garbage.  It just not the case.  He's not that old, he's 29.  

If we can get him on a 5 year deal thats fine imo.  15 million is also fine IMO for a guy who is a everyday player when healthy.  Of course if the price tag goes much north of that my mind will change.  Free agency is what it is.  We'll never get a "good deal" its just not the way the system is structured.  We have a farm system that is utterly barren and I'd like to see the Angels compete with Mike Trout on the team.  We need a left fielder desperately, Reddick Jay, Rasmus - fine.  Reddick comes sans a comp pick.  I'll take him.   As far as Jansen goes.  I don't believe in giving huge contracts to relief pitchers.  Thats just me.   

i would only go 1 yr plus a team option.

3 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Without a doubt, it will take the Angels more than one expensive guy to greatly improve this team, but I do believe that if the Angels make several moderate offseason signings, this team will be in the playoff hunt next year.

Obviously the team needs to improve LF, 2B, get a couple arms for the BP and an SP arm.  None of these signings need to be "big splashes" though.

i frankly dont consider Riddick a big splash... dont think hes a tier 1 guy... a splash yes but not a belly flop. 
We have too many holes, and no budget to fill them... spending a bunch on anyone seems rather silly unless we are prepared to spend on all of them.  

Eppler intends to be opportunistic, so focusing on any one player is counterproductive.  I am confident he will address LF and there will be at least a half-dozen free agents on the market that will be an upgrade over what we had in 2016.

My under-the-radar candidate is Eric Thames.  But on the right contract, I would be fine with Reddick, or Jay, or Holliday, or Fowler, or . . .

Thames totally kicked arse in Korea, and would be intriguing on say a 2 year deal.  He is only 30 in 2017, and runs the bases well.   But is he truly disciplined enough to be a lead off hitter?

Is the KBO still a step down from Japan's MLB?

After just 3 SB's in 684 MLB at bats, he stole 53 bases in his two KBO seasons.  He had a nearly .500 OBP in 2015 there.

Arte hasn't signed anyone from Asia though outside of Ji-Man Choi since Matsui, and no one directly from there in like forever.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

i frankly dont consider Riddick a big splash... dont think hes a tier 1 guy... a splash yes but not a belly flop. 
We have too many holes, and no budget to fill them... spending a bunch on anyone seems rather silly unless we are prepared to spend on all of them.  

This offseason, Reddick will be a big splash acquisition. He is one of the bigger names available. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Thames totally kicked arse in Korea, and would be intriguing on say a 2 year deal.  He is only 30 in 2017, and runs the bases well.   But is he truly disciplined enough to be a lead off hitter?

Is the KBO still a step down from Japan's MLB?

After just 3 SB's in 684 MLB at bats, he stole 53 bases in his two KBO seasons.  He had a nearly .500 OBP in 2015 there.

Arte hasn't signed anyone from Asia though outside of Ji-Man Choi since Matsui, and no one directly from there in like forever.

Using KBO numbers to project MLB success is difficult, but I think Eric Thames will probably get a guaranteed MLB deal. He is probably a DH at MLB level though and his walk rate in the big leagues - and the US minor leagues - was pretty awful. I'm not opposed to signing him as a platoon DH option, especially if we trade Cron, but he is probably a better fit somewhere else than he would be here.

16 minutes ago, oater said:

No.  Presumably Oakland offered three years and got nowhere.

That was also before he cratered in LA and probably went from a ceiling of a 4 or 5 year deal worth 65-80m+ to possibly topping off with 3 or 4 year offers this offseason worth maybe half that.

Either way, I've lost quite a bit of interest in Reddick. Jon Jay is far safer, cheaper, and not too far of a step down. He's my top choice.

9 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Lefty power hitters suffer from the RF setup here.

That plus the bad hitting vs lefties = something to be very cautious with.

A Jay/Marte platoon, with Marte also platooning with Cowart at 3B is a decent option.   But can Cowart hit well enough and can Marte be decent enough defensively at two positions?

This team has met it's quota on platooning. They need everyday consistency