• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels should bring in Josh Reddick

22 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I was unaware he was released.  I like the idea of him as a bounce back candidate, but I have to think his recent injury issues with his leg would give anyone a concern.  If the Angels decided to go with a bounce back candidate, I would just think that Carlos Gomez is the better move.  His upside is much higher.  I also think Pujols influence on Gomez would be huge.

Gomez already showed a "bounce back" with the Rangers -- that 900+ OPS.  His final 30+ games in a hitter's paradise will make people forget his previous year and 5 months of meh....   The cost to sign Gomez will be significantly higher than it will be Jennings.

I have nothing but opinion to base it on but I think the Angels are keeping their powder dry til 2018

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Gomez already showed a "bounce back" with the Rangers -- that 900+ OPS.  His final 30+ games in a hitter's paradise will make people forget his previous year and 5 months of meh....   The cost to sign Gomez will be significantly higher than it will be Jennings.

I have nothing but opinion to base it on but I think the Angels are keeping their powder dry til 2018

I seriously doubt Gomez's value went much higher than it was, but if he is priced out of the Angels budget for LF, it would make way more sense for the Angels to just put Marte in LF than signing Jennings.  Marte will be more productive than Jennings at this point.

On 10/18/2016 at 7:31 PM, VariousCrap said:

I seriously doubt Gomez's value went much higher than it was, but if he is priced out of the Angels budget for LF, it would make way more sense for the Angels to just put Marte in LF than signing Jennings.  Marte will be more productive than Jennings at this point.

Jennings still had some defensive value last year..    I think he could come very cheap and if they play Marte in LF then they will be looking to add someone who can play defense -- might as well be someone who can also fill in at CF.   Say what you will about Jennings, he managed a 0.9 bWAR in only 200 at bats despite being a complete no show offensively.  

Whether or not Gomez helped his cause any seems moot to me.  He wasn't ever going to come down to the prices the Angels will be wanting to pay, and I don't think he's self aware enough to even consider taking much less than the 9 Mil per he got last year.  He's just one of those guys.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jennings still had some defensive value last year..    I think he could come very cheap and if they play Marte in LF then they will be looking to add someone who can play defense -- might as well be someone who can also fill in at CF.   Say what you will about Jennings, he managed a 0.9 bWAR in only 200 at bats despite being a complete no show offensively.  

Whether or not Gomez helped his cause any seems moot to me.  He wasn't ever going to come down the prices the Angels will be wanting to pay, and I don't think he's self aware enough to even consider taking much less than the 9 Mil per he got last year.  He's just one of those guys.

If they get him for a fourth OF, then sure, but if it is to start in LF, that would be a horrible decision.

I like Reddick, always have but I don't think he's a good fit. Like some mentioned, he's had a hard time staying on the field and I doubt he improves on that going forward as he ages. We are a couple years from realistically competing and adding him wouldn't have much of an impact in the near future. How productive and healthy will he be ages 32+ when our team is in a better spot? Save the 70 mil and keep throwing out young guys (or invest in a cheap stop gap. Wait to invest money in 2018 when that FA class comes out and we're in a better position to win.

There was one path I considered a few weeks back, when Richards was still a question mark, where the Angels sign Reddick basically as a Calhoun replacement, with Kole being dealt for a SP. I figured Calhoun's trade value was around that of an established, young, good #3 SP - Trevor Bauer, Steven Matz, Martin Perez, Matt Moore, etc. Then, bring in another cheap vet for LF, like Jon Jay. 

I've backed off that for now though. With Garrett seeming to be on track, I'm not as concerned adding a young, established SP arm. 

Pass on Reddick, Jay would bring almost as substantial an improvement in LF, once factoring cost, contract length, and how much more consistent Jay has been.

On 10/18/2016 at 3:31 PM, VariousCrap said:

I was unaware he was released.  I like the idea of him as a bounce back candidate, but I have to think his recent injury issues with his leg would give anyone a concern.  If the Angels decided to go with a bounce back candidate, I would just think that Carlos Gomez is the better move.  His upside is much higher.  I also think Pujols influence on Gomez would be huge.

Because, Adrian Gonzalez was such a mentor to Puig?.... That and Gomez is older than Puig and more set in his show boat ways.... The only way for someone like Carlos Gomez to re-evaluate his attitude is for his ability to drop to the point he has no where to go but up (And that is almost ground floor close to being out of the game bad). If he actually cared about the game and his legacy within it and not the $$$ first and all of his antics he would be a far better player.

8 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I wouldn't mind bringing in both Reddick and Jay (as the 4th OF) two lefties that we could sure use to balance the lineup! 

Jay will probably get an offer to start somewhere - LF is still pretty weak across the bigs.
I'd still entertain offers for Calhoun if they brought back a Trevor Bauer-type arm - young, with control, and TORP upside (and I'd maybe add in someone like Perez if a 2B, LF, or RP prospect could factor in as well) and in that case consider both Jay and Reddick, but I don't think that deal is very likely, and with Richards seemingly on the mend, don't think we're in that desperate of a position to add a pitcher like that at the steep cost of Calhoun.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jay will probably get an offer to start somewhere - LF is still pretty weak across the bigs.
I'd still entertain offers for Calhoun if they brought back a Trevor Bauer-type arm - young, with control, and TORP upside (and I'd maybe add in someone like Perez if a 2B, LF, or RP prospect could factor in as well) and in that case consider both Jay and Reddick, but I don't think that deal is very likely, and with Richards seemingly on the mend, don't think we're in that desperate of a position to add a pitcher like that at the steep cost of Calhoun.

Plenty of suspects that you can drop some $$$ on in the 4th-5th spot Starter range. Nova, Fister, etc. We need LF, 2B and 1 (4/5) and 2 - bully arms!

Also, no need to trade your only Lefthanded hitter with any pop and sign Jay when he's Slappyier than Petit..... You add Jay as a lefty part of a platoon or as your #4 OF who can fill in at any of the 3 spots (which also adds a lefty to your lineup near the top which means you can drop Calhoun into an RBI spot in the middle 5th?) and still play 3-4 times a week to give guys a break. The idea of an Ortega, and all of the bearded wonders is over I hope!  Having another like Reddick with some pop and good arm in Left builds on the Defense first idea. And he can run a little bit.

The singular lefty power bat of Calhoun was taken out of the equation when other teams could hold out their lefty arm in the pen to use that arm solely against Kole and then go back to a Righty... To take on Trout, AP#5, Marte, Simmons etc.... Our lineup is Lefty thin and that is easy to manage against! No threat~ when most teams have at least one decent lefty in the pen to negate a single player.

6 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

AGon is no Pujols.  Pujols is a multi-MVP and a first ballot HOF.  AGon is neither of those.

That has zero to do with with my statement...... Did AP#5 make Trout the player he is?..... I don't believe so he might have gave him some pointers on situational ab's vs certain pitchers. But, Agon has done more Mentoring and being a role model towards young players than AP#5 has. He did it in SD, Boston and the Doggs had him try to do with Puig! I guess you haven't watched the Cubbies/Doggs series Agon has been in Puigs ear since he got back in the Bigs this year! And when he was originally brought up the Doggs advised Puig to shadow Agon and Agon to mentor him! Which the $$$ went to his head and he did his own thing. Which brought him to his eventual drop to AAA.

Just now, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

That has zero to do with with my statement...... Did AP#5 make Trout the player he is?..... I don't believe so he might have gave him some pointers on situational ab's vs certain pitchers. But, Agon has done more Mentoring and being a role model towards young players than AP#5 has.

I don't agree with that at all.

With the salary being cleared this offseason and next, I think there's a good chance the team signs one big splash guy this offseason, and if not this year, then I'm almost positive they will next year. We have more than enough money and plenty of needs, without a farm to supplement. 

We're gonna add one guy for 15m-25m a year this offseason or next, and probably just one.

Which pool would you prefer they spend in? This year, picking between Reddick, Cespedes, Desmond, Nova, Hellickson, and probably Chapman or Jansen probably prevents us from signing one of next year's big names - Hosmer, Moustakas, Espinosa, Frazier, JD Martinez, Lorenzo Cain, Arrieta, Chatwood, Darvish, Duffy, Eovaldi, Cobb, Pineda, Cueto, Chen, Tillman, Tanaka...

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

With the salary being cleared this offseason and next, I think there's a good chance the team signs one big splash guy this offseason, and if not this year, then I'm almost positive they will next year. We have more than enough money and plenty of needs, without a farm to supplement. 

We're gonna add one guy for 15m-25m a year this offseason or next, and probably just one.

Which pool would you prefer they spend in? This year, picking between Reddick, Cespedes, Desmond, Nova, Hellickson, and probably Chapman or Jansen probably prevents us from signing one of next year's big names - Hosmer, Moustakas, Espinosa, Frazier, JD Martinez, Lorenzo Cain, Arrieta, Chatwood, Darvish, Duffy, Eovaldi, Cobb, Pineda, Cueto, Chen, Tillman, Tanaka...

Nova/Hellickson- 6-8-10M Chapman/Jansen- 14-16M = close to 20-26M per. (Weaver and CJ off the books is a savings of 40M)...... Not including raises of course.

The highlighted I don't see as we have players in those positions or the arms I see as question marks.

With Escobar being a FA in 2018..And Hamilton's 25M off the books.. Frazier, Moose are possible. As are Martinez or Cain. 

Arrieta will be too rich and older. Though Duffy, Eovaldi and Cobb are interesting~ I thought Cueto signed a long term deal with SF?...

17 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Nova/Hellickson- 6-8-10M Chapman/Jansen- 14-16M = close to 20-26M per. (Weaver and CJ off the books is a savings of 40M)...... Not including raises of course.

The highlighted I don't see as we have players in those positions or the arms I see as question marks.

With Escobar being a FA in 2018..And Hamilton's 25M off the books.. Frazier, Moose are possible. As are Martinez or Cain. 

Arrieta will be too rich and older. Though Duffy, Eovaldi and Cobb are interesting~ I thought Cueto signed a long term deal with SF?...

Cueto, Tanaka, Chen have opt-outs.

Really not much merit in worrying about those names yet. A lot can happen next season in terms of the Angels developments and needs, as well as those individuals performances. I was mostly trying to highlight that there is a much, much deeper pool next season to work with, and we really only have room to add one 'big splash' this offseason and next without clogging up our payroll again. Aside from Chapman or Jansen, I think I would rather wait for next season to sign a big name. There's a lot more to choose from, with legit SP talent and 3B available.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Cueto, Tanaka, Chen have opt-outs.

Really not much merit in worrying about those names yet. A lot can happen next season in terms of the Angels developments and needs, as well as those individuals performances. I was mostly trying to highlight that there is a much, much deeper pool next season to work with, and we really only have room to add one 'big splash' this offseason and next without clogging up our payroll again. Aside from Chapman or Jansen, I think I would rather wait for next season to sign a big name. There's a lot more to choose from, with legit SP talent and 3B available.

I get it... Just dont see either closer getting 20M per.....

As per last night Chapman doesn't have the mental side to come in and do his job with a 6 run lead (he is a pitcher closer or not) and was all over the place and the broadcasters were sitting there making excuses! It's the NL Championship Series!!! If you can't get the adrenaline up to come in and slam a door you need to be working at a car wash! and hope your lunch break is from 12-4pm on a Friday and you're off on Saturday~ Phack that guy!