• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Meyer gets the start today

fan_since79

The escalation in Meyer's walk rate is strange. It wasn't too big an issue for him in the lower minors but was a huge problem in his two years at AAA and his brief work in the majors. Not sure if that's just a result of hitters at higher levels being able to cope a bit better with his electric stuff or if something has changed with him ... or both. Ultimately, to avoid becoming a reliever, he will have to fix it.

He has some command issues. His fastball has a ton of movement and he wastes a pitch every once and awhile. That said I thought he was consistently around the zone today. Im not sure why but I got the impression that the umpire was not seeing the ball well, or perhaps Bandy was moving a bit too much behind the plate. There were a couple of walks that I thought were due to him getting squeezed.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He has some command issues. His fastball has a ton of movement and he wastes a pitch every once and awhile. That said I thought he was consistently around the zone today. Im not sure why but I got the impression that the umpire was not seeing the ball well, or perhaps Bandy was moving a bit too much behind the plate. There were a couple of walks that I thought were due to him getting squeezed.

&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_

That is Meyer's strikezone plot from the excellent Brooks Baseball site. There were three low strikes not called and a couple of borderline pitches up the top which he didn't get as well. So a couple of things didn't go his way but, as the chart shows, he was also pretty wild.

16 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

His arm is legit.  If the Angels can help him figure it out, he will be an awesome starter.  No doubt in my mind he is in the starting rotation in 2017.

It's all going to be about durability. Fortunately he has size on his side, as well as relatively light mileage on his arm.

34 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_

That is Meyer's strikezone plot from the excellent Brooks Baseball site. There were three low strikes not called and a couple of borderline pitches up the top which he didn't get as well. So a couple of things didn't go his way but, as the chart shows, he was also pretty wild.

Reminds me that the bathroom needs cleaning. It has a similar plot.

Meyer is the exact sort of player we need to be targeting. Guys with top prospect pedigree who's value has taken a hit, but ceiling remains high. Banuelos too.

Reminds of Jackie Bradley Jr. with Boston. They stayed patient and have reaped their reward. Had thru given up on him, some other club would have acquired a star for cheap.