• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Libertardians

7 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

Well, I think that's pretty indicative of what the norm might be without a public FD. There wouldn't be a blanket service area.

You've pretty much described what it's like in rural parts of the country now. Every small town here has a volunteer firefighter recruitment sign up as maintaining a staffed department is simply cost prohibitive. And the areas that can afford to maintain departments are budgeted such that no one is remotely getting rich, overtime or not. But in reality fire departments are pretty darn close to being private anyway in practice. Many country departments bill cities just as a private company would. City departments pass the cost directly to property owners. And pragmatically who would even be able to afford property insurance if not subscribed to fire coverage? Municipal departments including fire departments are inherently natural monopolies so whether they are government run, private via municipal proxy, completely private, or other makes little difference to me.

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

The director of the VA Hodpital is only getting paid $165k? When Obamacare started up they were paying $450k for lower level executives claiming they needed to attract qualified people. 

Thanks Obama. 

A good friend of mine runs a military hospital and I cannot believe the shit he has to go through. He is not even allowed to hire an assistant to help him with the mountains of paper work. He offered to hire one himself out of his own paycheck but was denied due to military/security reasons or some BS. They've also fucked him over with regards to rank / title to avoid having to pay him more money. They still have him by the balls since he hasn't fulfilled his service time yet. The intersection of the military and general government bureaucracy might be the single most frightening thing Ive ever seen.

6 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Plenty of volunteer FD's cover all areas.  

That's what I was thinking also.  Especially in rural areas.  Usually they have a volunteer FD.  Usually manned by retired guys, and teens who get the lights on their cars to get the chicks.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

That's what I was thinking also.  Especially in rural areas.  Usually they have a volunteer FD.  Usually manned by retired guys, and teens who get the lights on their cars to get the chicks.

Not really.  Most are working guys between 25 and 50.