• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh negotiations (Update: Marsh signed!)

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pst..  yo...   The easiest way to spot when a person has lost an argument is to take notice of when they stop firing at the actual debate and start taking personal shots at those he is debating with.  

Considering I'm content with our draft whether or not this kid signs I'm not sure if Im a creeper or not, but I do know that the situation is one that deserves some discussion and that while you may feel the need to defend this kid's right to do whatever he wants, the reality is he's taking a pretty significant risk and there are far more examples of guys who didn't take a sure thing and ended up with less than those that said no, and reaped the benefits.  

Ever heard of Matt Harrington?  I wonder how that 11.50 an hour he's making at Costco compares to the 4 Mil he turned down once, and the 1.2 Mil he turned down the second time he was drafted?  Dude was drafted 5 different times with a worse showing each time....  Tommy Tanzer, Scott Boras.. they all gave him the wrong advice...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Harrington

There is a valuable lesson with Harrington's story.  "Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered".  

11 hours ago, Lou said:

over the last two years, that 2nd rate program has had two players drafted in the first round.

the entire PAC 12 conference had 4 

In 2016 draft there was no representative from Kennesaw State in the first round.

In 2015 the only players drafted from Georgia was #11 from Kennesaw Mountain High School and #37 from Eagles Landing High School

2014 is the year that a player form Kennesaw State had a representative in the first round of the draft at  #11, a catcher.

You have to go all the way back to 2009 to find the other Kennesaw State first rounder Chad Jenkins #20 that was never drafted out of High School.

So it is 2 first round picks in the entire history of the University.

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Money talks. 

while true, that has nothing to do with what I said

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know a bunch of people with 4 year degrees that are struggling. 

I'm willing to bet there are many, many more people struggling that don't have 4 year degrees.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

damn, pretty crazy read on harrington. 

Kevinb, im late to this one. I agree its this kids prerogative, and if he wants to roll the dice and see if he can get better money later, more power to him. But i think what everyone else is arguing in jere (and i agree with), is that he was already drafter high. The odds (no guarantee, but likely) he doesnt draft higher/better money. Its also probably at least as likely he moves down in the draft next year or later with less money on the table.

I hope we sign him, but wont remember him if we dont.

what you may have missed is that nobody here, iirc, has argued that it's a good decision to not take the money most likely offered to him. we're merely saying that the kid may decide he'd rather go to college, for whatever reason.  

On 7/3/2016 at 1:21 AM, Kevinb said:

So this kid could be the next Trout then?

I never said that, but there are a lot of college graduates drawing unemployment and even if they get an $80,000/yr job out of college, it would take almost 13yrs to earn as much as Marsh would get just to sign with the Angels. He also would have a shot at making ungodly amount of money, playing a game for a living.

If he was a 20th round pick that is a different story, but passing 2nd round slot money, and waiting 3 years to try to improve your signing bonus is a real gamble.

3 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

I never said that, but there are a lot of college graduates drawing unemployment and even if they get an $80,000/yr job out of college, it would take almost 13yrs to earn as much as Marsh would get just to sign with the Angels. He also would have a shot at making ungodly amount of money, playing a game for a living.

If he was a 20th round pick that is a different story, but passing 2nd round slot money, and waiting 3 years to try to improve your signing bonus is a real gamble.

My thoughts exactly. I am a big proponent of education and will insist my kids go to college and perhaps beyond. But if someone is offering an amount of money that would have a profound impact on their life at age 18, I'd probably advise taking the money. 

I'd bet just about anything Marsh signs. This is all a negotiating tactic.

19 hours ago, Lou said:

what you may have missed is that nobody here, iirc, has argued that it's a good decision to not take the money most likely offered to him. we're merely saying that the kid may decide he'd rather go to college, for whatever reason.  

The whole wanting to go to college argument is IMO valid, but we are talking about a kid who was sort of upfront about wanting to get started on his way to a MLB career.  The holdup seems to be about money and that seems to be due to a medical report that showed something outside of the normal.   Personally, I wouldn't have any issues with the kid flat out saying he's not ready to start his real world life and would rather go enjoy the college experience -- but, I don't think that's whats happening in this case.   At the end of the day -- it's his life to live.

If he wants an education, bank the million (I read somewhere the Angels can go up 1.3). 

Consult the Angels on taking college classes ( they have helped others do it).  I believe they have something worked out with one of the big Arizona schools. 

If baseball doesn't work out, take part of the banked million and finish school. 

6 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

His slot is what 1 mil right? Which after taxes is 500k and after agent fee which takes another what 10 percent so realistically he's signing a 400 ish k deal. If he bets on himself yes it's a gamble everything in life is. Could make more money or maybe he's just not ready to become a professional which at 18 how many kids are even with around 400k in the bank. I'm just saying he's 18 I saw posts getting hard with this kid saying oh he's immature, well no shit who wouldn't be at 18 getting a signing bonus of a lot of money. 

16 hours ago, Kevinb said:

His slot is what 1 mil right? Which after taxes is 500k and after agent fee which takes another what 10 percent so realistically he's signing a 400 ish k deal. If he bets on himself yes it's a gamble everything in life is. Could make more money or maybe he's just not ready to become a professional which at 18 how many kids are even with around 400k in the bank. I'm just saying he's 18 I saw posts getting hard with this kid saying oh he's immature, well no shit who wouldn't be at 18 getting a signing bonus of a lot of money. 

He has an "Advisor", not an agent. so there is no 10 % going that way. If there was money involved, Marsh would lose his college eligibility.

6 hours ago, greginpsca said:

He has an "Advisor", not an agent. so there is no 10 % going that way. If there was money involved, Marsh would lose his college eligibility.

So if he signs there is no agent fee? Is there an advisor fee? 

That Matt Harrington bio is brutal in some ways and karma confirming in others.  Kid comes out of Palmdale which is the type of place most people dream about getting the hell out of, turns down millions not once but twice because of greed/stupidity/bad advice and now he's making $11.50 an hour.  That's like the ultimate high school jock who was king during high school (even if it was Palmdale) and ends up in a low paying job story if I've ever heard one.  

On 7/4/2016 at 8:31 AM, NotMyCat said:

If he wants an education, bank the million (I read somewhere the Angels can go up 1.3). 

Consult the Angels on taking college classes ( they have helped others do it).  I believe they have something worked out with one of the big Arizona schools. 

If baseball doesn't work out, take part of the banked million and finish school. 

ok, I'm pretty sure that's what all of us would do (although we have benefit of knowingwhat it's like to actually work for a living)

however, what if the kid feels differently? that's all we're saying 

Many Angels prospects have college fees negotiated into their deal. I've talked to several of our prep prospects over the years (all within the first 10 rounds) and they all said the same thing, contract included an agreement to pay for all schooling upon conclusion of career.

That was a big factor in Hunter Green leaving the game behind despite repeated attempts by Angels to bring him back. He was ready to go to school and pursue the next chapter of his life.