• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh negotiations (Update: Marsh signed!)

I'm sure they are but will not go into any penalties that reduce next year's pool money. The agent for Marsh is probably thinking the Angels are desperate but may be over playing his hand not seeing the larger picture that the club has to live with. In two weeks he is going to have to either blink or get zero commission, which mean Marsh will  probably sign. Third Rate State is not going to improve this kid's future draft slot. 

If you guys saw the latest minor league baseball article on what they get paid it's insane id make the Angels drop as much dime as I could possibly get. If he has another year of eligibility in college and the Angels don't pony up no harm going back to school to see if u can get in the 1st round

15 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If you guys saw the latest minor league baseball article on what they get paid it's insane id make the Angels drop as much dime as I could possibly get. If he has another year of eligibility in college and the Angels don't pony up no harm going back to school to see if u can get in the 1st round

In the entire history of the MLB draft, Kennesaw State has produced a grand total of two first round picks.  If Marsh had a commitment to a collegiate powerhouse, I'd understand the hesitation, but it's freakin' Kennesaw State.  The only team that seems to actually draft players from there is the Angels (Bo Way and Alan Busenitz).

55 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

In the entire history of the MLB draft, Kennesaw State has produced a grand total of two first round picks.  If Marsh had a commitment to a collegiate powerhouse, I'd understand the hesitation, but it's freakin' Kennesaw State.  The only team that seems to actually draft players from there is the Angels (Bo Way and Alan Busenitz).

He's a second round pick obviously they thought he was worth it 

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

A local older senior Scout who has to take the bus daily to watch talent?.... Too bad they don't have Uber or Lyft in Kennesaw, GA our scout could get out further to watch more games!.... 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

He would have a better chance of improving his slot in a future draft if he was going to a better school. Say one of these schools.  http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1/2016 If this kid is so good why didn't he get a scholarship to school noted for their baseball program. 

If he goes to college instead he won't be eligible to be drafted for 3 years unless it's a junior college. Players at four-year colleges are eligible after completing their junior years, or after their 21st birthdays. Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_draft

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

He's a second round pick obviously they thought he was worth it 

The only reason not to sign is that he's hoping he'll be s first round pick in three years. The trouble with that is that there is a VERY short list of first round picks that don't come from a college facing top notch competition. When the best team you face all year is Savannah State and not ASU, or someone of that caliber, then your ability to perform against the best is open for interpretation.

It's very unlikely to increase his draft stock at Kennesaw State.

23 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The only reason not to sign is that he's hoping he'll be s first round pick in three years. The trouble with that is that there is a VERY short list of first round picks that don't come from a college facing top notch competition. When the best team you face all year is Savannah State and not ASU, or someone of that caliber, then your ability to perform against the best is open for interpretation.

or he might actually want to attend college 

3 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

and those 2 were in the last two drafts. only 3 schools in the country had more

ASU had zero 

48 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

how many first round draft picks came from Buffalo? Khalil Mack. If he was a 2nd round pick this of around and he plays up to what he thinks he can do then do it and sign in 3 years in the first round. That's what I said also I'm sure if the Angels didn't sign him someone else would have in the 2nd round. Unless your saying the Angels are the worst run organization in baseball and would pick a kid in the 2nd round when no one would touch him till way later than the kid better sign and what the duck are the Angels doing signing someone like that in th 2nd round 

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

how many first round draft picks came from Buffalo? Khalil Mack. If he was a 2nd round pick this of around and he plays up to what he thinks he can do then do it and sign in 3 years in the first round. That's what I said also I'm sure if the Angels didn't sign him someone else would have in the 2nd round. Unless your saying the Angels are the worst run organization in baseball and would pick a kid in the 2nd round when no one would touch him till way later than the kid better sign and what the duck are the Angels doing signing someone like that in th 2nd round 

this is an incredibly confused and convoluted line of thinking.

what does the nfl draft have to do with anything? the fact is that he has almost no edge for improvement. this is born out by the entire history of the mlb draft. if he was a low pick, then that would make sense, but he's a 2nd rounder. it makes zero career sense. if he wants to go to college for an education, then he misled the angels as to his intentions and/or they're incompetent buffoons.

lou's missing the point completely. what are the odds he improves his position from a mid 2nd round pick? he's going to put himself at risk for three years on a slim chance at modest improvement? bad thinking, if so.

5 minutes ago, ukyah said:

what does the nfl draft have to do with anything? the fact is that he has almost no edge for improvement. this is born out by the entire history of the mlb draft. if he was a low pick, then that would make sense, but he's a 2nd rounder. it makes zero career sense. if he wants to go to college for an education, then he misled the angels as to his intentions and/or they're incompetent buffoons.

Gerrit Cole would disagree 

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

Gerrit Cole would disagree 

still missing it.  gerrit cole did one thing in common with marsh, he didn't sign and made an extremely risky gamble. it paid off for cole. one of the reasons it paid off for cole was that he was already a first round high school talent and more so that he attended UCLA, a baseball powerhouse, and not kennesaw friggin state. i don't understand how that's hard to wrap your head around.

marsh's slot value right now is, 1.07 million dollars. if in three years everything goes as planned and he improves his stock significantly, say by 50%, then he would be at #30, which is 2.003 million dollars. if you think that's good value, versus the risk of not improving or being taken lower, then okie dokie, but you don't have a future in financial planning.

what is the likelihood that he improves from a 2nd rounder at kennesaw state? i'll answer, very low.

39 minutes ago, Lou said:

I'm guessing KSU being less than an hour away from his home town might have had something to do with his decision. 

and he was offered by bigger schools

That is an interesting point. He's young and pretty clearly immature. Maybe he's afraid to leave the nest, or is scarred of the pressure.

5 minutes ago, ukyah said:

still missing it.  gerrit cole did one thing in common with marsh, he didn't sign and made an extremely risky gamble. it paid off for cole. one of the reasons it paid off for cole was that he was already a first round high school talent and more so that he attended UCLA, a baseball powerhouse, and not kennesaw friggin state. i don't understand how that's hard to wrap your head around.

marsh's slot value right now is, 1.07 million dollars. if in three years everything goes as planned and he improves his stock significantly, say by 50%, then he would be at #30, which is 2.003 million dollars. if you think that's good value, versus the risk of not improving or being taken lower, then okie dokie, but you don't have a future in financial planning.

what is the likelihood that he improves from a 2nd rounder at kennesaw state? i'll answer, very low.

Teams tend to fear high school pitchers in the first round. Most college guys are generally projectable major leaguers the moment they are drafted.

52 minutes ago, ukyah said:

So your saying a 2nd round draft pick out of high school has no way to improve his draft stock? Ok then. Guess at 18 he is at his peak and will only get worse unless he signs with the Angels and then he can only get better? Confused by your convoluted and confusing talk. And how does it not make sense Mack came from a no name college as well so there's that. But don't worry bout it. Went right over your head 

Yes he can improve, but it's a tough hill to climb. He was already considered the 60th best player in the draft, and as a high school player the Angels drafted him knowing he has all the leverage. Going to university and reentering the draft in 3 years he will have considerably less leverage, so he'll need to have improved his positioning to get a similar offer. How much better can he realistically expect to get? How much more money can he expect to get? A lot can happen in three years, is it really worth it to risk it?