• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I can't believe some of the statements I am seeing

A lot of people are complaining about how we did not keep certain players and how we should have kept them and we would be so much better if we had them. Lets look at the roster that people keep bringing up.

Bartolo Colon - Yes he is solid the last few years. He flamed out with the angels with a 5+ ERA. He than sucked for another 3 years and was even out of baseball for another year. He had to take a minor league deal somewhere because he had nothing left. Nobody predicted he would be good again. If he was a starting pitcher for us all those in between years we probably would not have made the playoffs.

Scot Kazmir - He had two good seasons since leaving the angels. People seem to forget that not a single MLB team wanted him. He was getting lit up playing for the Sugar Land Skeeters. If the independent league was lighting hime up just imagine what an MLB ball club do.

Mark Trumbo - Other than these past few months he is the same player as when he left. He had a couple average war years. We got an all star pitcher (though he sucks now) and a top prospect for him.

Matt Joyce - Not a single one of you wanted to keep Joyce after last year. 

Kendry Morales - You mean the Kendry with a negative 1 war and batting .190. I sure do wish we had him (sarcasm). He was good last year. He has been a average league replacement player. His best year ever was with the Angels.

Someone even mentioned Jose Molina. For starters he is retired and his best years were with the angels.

Mike Napoli - Yes we should have kept him, but he is the same player as when he was in Anaheim. He is actually worse now. 

33 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

A lot of people are complaining about how we did not keep certain players and how we should have kept them and we would be so much better if we had them. Lets look at the roster that people keep bringing up.

Bartolo Colon - Yes he is solid the last few years. He flamed out with the angels with a 5+ ERA. He than sucked for another 3 years and was even out of baseball for another year. He had to take a minor league deal somewhere because he had nothing left. Nobody predicted he would be good again. If he was a starting pitcher for us all those in between years we probably would not have made the playoffs.

Scot Kazmir - He had two good seasons since leaving the angels. People seem to forget that not a single MLB team wanted him. He was getting lit up playing for the Sugar Land Skeeters. If the independent league was lighting hime up just imagine what an MLB ball club do.

Mark Trumbo - Other than these past few months he is the same player as when he left. He had a couple average war years. We got an all star pitcher (though he sucks now) and a top prospect for him.

Kendry Morales - You mean the Kendry with a negative 1 war and batting .190. I sure do wish we had him (sarcasm). He was good last year. He has been a average league replacement player. His best year ever was with the Angels.

Someone even mentioned Jose Molina. For starters he is retired and his best years were with the angels.

Mike Napoli - Yes we should have kept him, but he is the same player as when he was in Anaheim. He is actually worse now. 

It kinda looks like you're still following all of these ex-Angels. Can you please update us on Bourjous and Segura.

1 hour ago, happybat4 said:

In fairness to Morales, the move to let him go was three years ago.  It would have been nice to have him those three years.  However, we did get a solid pitcher for him.  My gripe is that we didn't offer a qualifying offer to him and let him go to KC.

As for Bartolo, can anyone spell HGH?

I agree with all of your other comments.

I don't know why he is getting bashed.  A lot of people over past months griped about losing these players or in the case of Bartolo we should go after him.  It may not be recently but it has happened.  Why do we get Trumbo updates  or Napoli updates so often?

Personally, I believe the Wells-Napoli trade was a disaster.  Other than that, no biggie on all of the.  I just wished Kazmir would have figured it out while we were paying him millions.

1 hour ago, happybat4 said:

Matt Joyce was a keeper.  In 49 games with Pittsburgh this season Joyce is hitting .324 with 6 home runs and 22 runs batted in.  One of those home runs, was a  3-run shot that beat the Angels on Saturday, 8-7.His on base percentage is .467 and his slugging number is an impressive .662.  Daniel Nava, Gary Gentry, Rafael Ortega, Shane Robinson and who ever else the Angels have put out in left field together  can't  match those numbers.  Apparently Don Baylor and Dave Hanson couldn't figure out what Pirate coaches Jeff Branson and Jeff Livesey have  discovered this year.

15 minutes ago, John Stellman said:

Matt Joyce was a keeper.  In 49 games with Pittsburgh this season Joyce is hitting .324 with 6 home runs and 22 runs batted in.  One of those home runs, was a  3-run shot that beat the Angels on Saturday, 8-7.His on base percentage is .467 and his slugging number is an impressive .662.  Daniel Nava, Gary Gentry, Rafael Ortega, Shane Robinson and who ever else the Angels have put out in left field together  can't  match those numbers.  Apparently Don Baylor and Dave Hanson couldn't figure out what Pirate coaches Jeff Branson and Jeff Livesey have  discovered this year.

With all due respect, nobody here predicted this from Matt Joyce, not even the Pirates who signed him to a Minor League deal. He was given plenty of playing time to figure things out but I don't see how the Angels could have kept him around for another year.

When people bring up guys no longer with the team it's generally cherry picking at it's finest.  After Segura was traded in the Greinke deal he had a decent year in 2013 when he started really strong and was an all-star.  Some posters acted like it was the worst move ever made then we didn't really hear about him again until he started off hot this year while he was below league average in 2014 and 2015.  Randal Grichuk is another guy who was a favorite of some posters to bring up last year when he hit 17 HR's in 350 PA's while the Angels got nothing out of LF.  This year his numbers are down across the board, so far he's well below league average and while I don't browse the main forum all the time I haven't heard as much about him.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I don't know why he is getting bashed.  A lot of people over past months griped about losing these players or in the case of Bartolo we should go after him.  It may not be recently but it has happened.  Why do we get Trumbo updates  or Napoli updates so often?

Personally, I believe the Wells-Napoli trade was a disaster.  Other than that, no biggie on all of the.  I just wished Kazmir would have figured it out while we were paying him millions.

Even Kazmir disappears late in the season normally, since his resurgence.

2 hours ago, happybat4 said:

Wait a minute..

No love for Blanton?

49 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

When people bring up guys no longer with the team it's generally cherry picking at it's finest.  After Segura was traded in the Greinke deal he had a decent year in 2013 when he started really strong and was an all-star.  Some posters acted like it was the worst move ever made then we didn't really hear about him again until he started off hot this year while he was below league average in 2014 and 2015.  Randal Grichuk is another guy who was a favorite of some posters to bring up last year when he hit 17 HR's in 350 PA's while the Angels got nothing out of LF.  This year his numbers are down across the board, so far he's well below league average and while I don't browse the main forum all the time I haven't heard as much about him.

In all fairness Segura had a rough year last year in his personal life, so wouldn't put much stock into what he did on the field. I think the move to 2nd was good for him, where he will be an above average 2nd baseman, playing with the guy we traded him for.

2 hours ago, John Stellman said:

anyone who suggest we shoukd have kept Joyce is playing captain hindsight.  Few thought Joyce would be a major leaguer after last season.  hell as bad asbour LF had been this year it is significantly better than last year.

17 hours ago, stormngt said:

anyone who suggest we shoukd have kept Joyce is playing captain hindsight.  Few thought Joyce would be a major leaguer after last season.  hell as bad asbour LF had been this year it is significantly better than last year.

Well, to be honest at the point that we weren't going to throw $$$$ at the position (LF) and not go after the likes of Heyward, Cespedes, Upton, Fowler, Span or even keep (Murphy). I might have kept Joyce around to battle with the group we brought in. I watched Matt's BP last year and he really took some solid bp but once it got to the game he couldn't bring it forward. At that point was when I started believing that Matt Joyce's issues last year were between his ears and stressing about slumping and coming to a new team that really needed him to step up after the Josh Hamilton fiasco.... And if you think about this SPT and what he has done so far with the Pirates and what he had signed (Minor League deal) and everything it would put him in a more relaxed opportunity for him and the Pirates.. Due to Josh Hamilton and the failure of the 3 Horsemen (Murph, DeJesus, Victorino) before him.... He had to come out of the gates hot and produce!