• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you want Weaver to be in a Halo uniform after this season

Do you want Weaver to be in an Angel uniform after this season?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Weaver to be in an Angel uniform after this season?

• Yes, he's still got something left
    • Yes, but only as a reliever
    • No. Thanks for the memories

Weave is putting his best foot forward right now, but he's not enjoying himself at all and I can't see him going through this again for the 3-4mil he might earn.  Granted, that's a ton of money, but he'll have made about 100mil by the time this year ends so he doesn't need the money.  

Plus, he's probably not gonna have a choice.  I just can't see how their would be much interest.  He's been great for this franchise, and he's done his job for the most part.  He probably left money on the table, but he's still been compensated quite well.  

It might be an interesting project to see what Weaver's effectiveness would be in the bullpen where he just pitched one inning per game.  If we had enough starters to experiment with it, his slow slop might just be puzzling for hitters a little dose at a time.  When hitters lock on to his slow stuff, usually somewhere in innings 2-4, he's usually a goner.

43 minutes ago, tomsred said:

It might be an interesting project to see what Weaver's effectiveness would be in the bullpen where he just pitched one inning per game.  If we had enough starters to experiment with it, his slow slop might just be puzzling for hitters a little dose at a time.  When hitters lock on to his slow stuff, usually somewhere in innings 2-4, he's usually a goner.

with all due respect, you're gonna have to show me an effective reliever throwing 78-81. actually, just show me a reliever hitting 78-81.

he's as gritty as it gets, but he's toast.

Edited by ukyah

Would be interesting to see what happens later in the year if the team is completely out of contention and Weaver is pitching at least decently. 

I never, ever, ever saw a scenario where Weaver could be traded, but if he's feeling like he may retire after this year, the Angels are out of the mix, and a team like the Cards, Sox, Royals, or Dodgers are interested in him as a vet put he on a decimated staff, could he be dealt to get him one last shot at a ring?

I don't care either way. If he comes back it will be for cheap. It's not like the team is going to make the playoffs next year either. So they win 70 games instead of 75, what's the difference? If Weaver is fine going out there and getting beat most of the time and it's not choosing the team then who are we the fans to tell him no? I'd probably rather watch him than some random FA signed on a two year deal from Minnesota, or wherever, who I have no emotional attachment to.

Guys like Weaver and Pujols are just too prideful to walk away and admit they're done. If they're staying for the money they obviously don't mind embarrassing themselves or don't really care that they're hurting the team. At some point players need to realize that they've passed their productive value and should retire from the game.

Frankly, I don't want to see him in a uniform again THIS season.  All due respect to his storied Halo career, but it's time for him to call it a career.  His sulking as he walks from the mound and in the dugout certainly isn't enhancing team energy or inspiring confidence.  Thanks for the memories Mr. Weaver.

He's got a legit argument for best pitcher in franchise history, and this team is going no where this year, so releasing him mid-season would be pointless. Let him finish the contract both parties agreed to then walk away. Hopefully he just admits he's done and retires an Angel. No way do you pay him to be on the team next year though. This is a business, and every nickel needs to go towards players who are going to help us win (especially when we've got 50 million dollars of dead weight tied up in Pujols/Hamilton next year too)

I actually think he could be somewhat effective as a reliever. His problem has been the 2nd and (if he makes it) 3rd time through the order. I think guys are legitimately thrown for a loop initially at the lack of velocity, which might play better in short spurts as a RP. For instance: 

The St. Louis Cardinals couldn't touch Jered Weaver and his low-80s fastball the first time through the order Thursday night. The second time was an entirely different story, and he didn't make it a third time through. Matt Holliday homered twice in two innings off Weaver, Matt Carpenterhomered as well and the Cardinals held off a late rally to beat the Los Angeles Angels 12-10 to complete a three-game sweep. Weaver (3-2) retired the first 11 batters of the game before Holliday ended the streak with his first homer. Eight of the next nine Cardinals reached base, capped by a two-run homer from Holliday to end Weaver's night in the fifth. "It took us a minute to get used to his decreased velocity compared to what we're used to," Holliday said. "It's really just more with your eyes and a timing thing. Once you see it, the next time your mind and body is much more in sync."

8 hours ago, tomsred said:

Would his pride get in the way of attempting that?