• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giavotella working to be less of a defensive disaster

Oz27

Interesting story from Alden Gonzalez.

"From the start of November until the middle of February, Giavotella and Washington met three times a week at the Urban Youth Academy in New Orleans to work on defense, the one element that had always eluded Giavotella.

"We didn't miss, no matter what the weather was," Washington said from A's camp on Thursday morning. "I was so proud of him, the way he put it together and the way he was able to maintain it.""

It has to be better than nothing, I guess.

Neither Adam Kennedy nor Howie were great defensive 2bman when they came up but both got better, a lot better....Gia is probably below where they started but he can get better....

Yea I mentioned this is another thread. AK was AWFUL his first year. One thing about this message board is the overall vibe from its members is a player is what he is and that they don't improve. I have no idea if JG will ever be an average defensive 2nd baseman, but it certainly isn't out of the question.

Yea I mentioned this is another thread. AK was AWFUL his first year. One thing about this message board is the overall vibe from its members is a player is what he is and that they don't improve. I have no idea if JG will ever be an average defensive 2nd baseman, but it certainly isn't out of the question.

And yet, when coaching is criticized the go-to defense is that "these guys are what they are. You're not going to teach a guy to (x) at the big league level".

I think the difference between AK, HK, and Johnny G is the athleticism. AK and HK were pretty athletic (not super athletic) but a good deal more athletic than Johnny G. They both had higher ceilings as defenders. Even early in their careers they would make a fair amount of spectacular plays and then not the routine play. It was obvious that if they cut out the mistakes they would become plus defenders.

We can only hope he improves on his defense, we love the bat already.  Not sure he is capable, because he has worked on his defense every offseason only to see negative improvement. One can always tell when his initial reaction to ball after moment of inertia is always the opposite direction.  He might be dyslexic! 

We can only hope he improves on his defense, we love the bat already. Not sure he is capable, because he has worked on his defense every offseason only to see negative improvement. One can always tell when his initial reaction to ball after moment of inertia is always the opposite direction. He might be dyslexic!

Haha, do we love the bat ? I hope for best with Giavotella. I think it's likely his defensive play improves (really it couldn't get much more awful) but I think there's a great chance we don't get the production (which was not much) we got last year out of the bat. Giavotella just isn't very good. Hopefully I'm very wrong.

Edited by UndertheHalo

We can only hope he improves on his defense, we love the bat already.  Not sure he is capable, because he has worked on his defense every offseason only to see negative improvement. One can always tell when his initial reaction to ball after moment of inertia is always the opposite direction.  He might be dyslexic! 

Last year he did experience some vision problems. How much that affected his play is hard to say, but it would be nice to see an improvement in his defense. He got a lot of big hits last year. It would be a big plus if he can improve his defense. Heres hoping.

The metrics say otherwise...  AK was never awful, he was awkward turning the DP initially, but he fielded well and pretty much every metric available then and now argued he was a plus defender.  Howie was likewise never a bad defender -- he was pretty consistently a slightly plus defender those early seasons despite being moved around from place to place.

He could be like Dustin Pedroia if he just played much better defense, hit for a higher average, added some power and stole a few more bases.  Other than that, it's damn close.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think the difference between AK, HK, and Johnny G is the athleticism. AK and HK were pretty athletic (not super athletic) but a good deal more athletic than Johnny G. They both had higher ceilings as defenders. Even early in their careers they would make a fair amount of spectacular plays and then not the routine play. It was obvious that if they cut out the mistakes they would become plus defenders.

Agreed -- they were very different animals -- particularly AK, he had been primarily been a SS -- his lateral movement and the sort was always above average, he just looked like a SS playing 2B early on -- the arm slot, turning the DP..  He looked like a guy that was having to think about his actions.

Rooting for him.  Hopefully his defensive work pays off and he maintains the offense.  He is kinda like the Italian David Eckstein.  He had his clutch moments, especially when he came back from his vision problems.  He is a good complement to the power guys in the lineup.  Need to have contact hitters to add balance.

Gia, last year was a 1.0 WAR player, he is better suited as a #9 hitter, in his small career (240 PA), he has a .339 OBP, and in 2015 from the #9 spot, his OBP was .376.

Scioscia needs to keep him in the #9 spot, and let him continue to be the table setter. 

Escobar in his career either leading off or batting 2nd has a career .360 OBP

Anyways, I think used right, Gia can be an average (more than likely slightly below average defender) and a 2.0-3.0 War player.

Again, if Scioscia uses his players correctly.

ah little Johnny G ---

when I think of him at second, I recall watching Zorbist (6 foot 4 or however tall he is) paying 2B for KC in the post season last year.

Zorbist would stick his arm out and snare a line drive heading for base hit to Right/ Center field, perhaps even a potential double into the alley --- Johnny G would leap as high as he could and stretch his small arm reach out and the ball wuld be by him for a two run single.