• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm out of ideas (on improving the LF situation)

Chuck

Should we just accept that we're going to endure a Nava/Gentry platoon and move on?

I feel there are so many trades that could be made. Hell, the Brewers just got Liriano for a AAA reliever who posted an ERA above 4.00. Too bad we don't have any of those. 

I've soured on Arte and the new GM.

I need Dochalo or someone else to prove that a Nava/Gentry platoon will work with the rest of our lineup and that we'll be competitive enough to play a meaningful game on the 162nd contest of the season, or squeak into the playoffs somehow. 

We had ONE glaring weakness, one need heading into the offseason. 

I don't think they will sign anyone at this point that cost a draft pick or push them over the luxury tax but I think they would definitely make a trade to move Wilson and one of Santiago or Shoemaker in order to clear some money to improve the offense.  The future of the rotation is Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, and Tropeno so I wouldn't expect that to be touched unless its for someone significant.  Nava/Gentry is a placeholder until they can find something better as the season moves along.

I think there were several weaknesses in the lineup heading into the off-season.

I think there is a 60% chance the platoon would have improved us enough to have gotten us into the playoffs last season.

I don't think this platoon us enough to cover up for some of the other question marks on this team to not work. I could see this platoon being 2 wins better than last year's left field. But the question is well that be enough?

I'd say there's a 50% chance they will be 2 wins better than last year's left field.

As for the rest of your post, I for the first time in a few years like the direction this team took. I think they took a realistic look in the mirror and thought we are fringe contenders and Upton/Cespedes probably isn't going to change that.

There is a chance the platoon works and they are competitive at the break. If not they didn't over commit resources to this season and can actually sell at the deadline. Now if the Halos are 4-5 games out at the deadline and don't sell them I'll be pretty mad.

We've seen in recent years how quickly teams can compete with young guys. With trout, Simmons, Calhoun, and good young pitching if they sell a few pieces at the deadline they can come back string next year as a worst case scenario.

Should we just accept that we're going to endure a Nava/Gentry platoon and move on?

I feel there are so many trades that could be made. Hell, the Brewers just got Liriano for a AAA reliever who posted an ERA above 4.00. Too bad we don't have any of those. 

I need Dochalo or someone else to prove that a Nava/Gentry platoon will work with the rest of our lineup and that we'll be competitive enough to play a meaningful game on the 162nd contest of the season, or squeak into the playoffs somehow. 

I guess that we are left with hoping that Choi is the hitting machine that he is said to be and that he hits his way into LF and never looks back!

Pretty disappointing offseason. It hasn't made sense at all, the Simmons trade is still a head scratcher. I mean I'm excited to have a defensive wizard at short with offensive upside but why did we allocate our resources to a position we didn't need to worry about this offseason. Just the most puzzling offseason I have experienced as a fan, all the moves contradicting themselves. That's why I believe Arte changed course halfway through, the Simmons trade was supposed to be followed up by an Upton or Heyward signing but Arte got gun shy and now we are left with a roster full of question marks that could have been answered. Not a fun time to be an Angels fan, but hey maybe Eppler will look like an absolute genius just by infusing a little OBP around Trout and all of us will be eating crow. We can only hope right?

And the one glaring weakness was the most talented/loaded position pool in FA. This feels like a joke, a really bad joke that I haven't gotten yet.

Fowler is looking better by the minute. This move makes a ton of sense for the Angels, much more so than the other theoretical fits. Austin Jackson may also be a fit.

Hell, I'd even be OK with a Nava/Choi (whoever wins out) & Austin Jackson platoon in LF.

I really doubt we get Fowler. I'd be very surprised. Our owner has turned into a cheap bastage.

They could still sign Austin Jackson, maybe Fowler if they 'go crazy'

They could trade a young SP like Skaggs, Heaney, or Tropeano for someone like Souza, Soler, or Nick Williams (respectively)

Or they could trade a CJ for Bruce or Hector for Gardner type.

I imagine we're likely to see ST start without anything further though. See what teams have a need, see how our platoon types are doing and which folks we try to keep, which we waive, which we try to stick in AAA, and see what needs' arise around the majors.

We missed the playoffs by one game last season while Pujols was hurt. He should be 100% so we should win more games this season. That's why we signed him. Or was it for the TV contract?

Pujols was also the best player in baseball for a month and a half. That's not likely to repeat itself.

Who cares why we signed him? If the team can't get it done it doesn't make sense to go all in. We also signed Hamilton to win the division but that's hardly a reason to spend more money.

I'm seriously not worried about Pujols, but we needed to solidify another bat in the lineup to help take pressure off Pujols/Trout.

Calhoun and Cron (And another bat or two) are going to need to step up big time. I'm not counting on getting ANY production from LF, again.