• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Car and DUI Thread

Because it's apparent from the number of posts about car crashes and DUIs that this is a topic that does not get addressed enough and deserves it's own thread rather than accidentally derailing other threads.

There have been some great strides made in reducing the number of car related injuries and fatalaties, including those involving driving while intoxicated...but more can be done.

What are some of your serious suggestions?

For MT: How about we require all gun owners to have a license that expires every three years.  They have to renew that license.  They also have to license their firearms once a year.  They are limited the number of bullets they can own and can revoke their license to own fire arms if they get caught mishandling them or have other offenses.

None of those things exist except for the last one.  We do a lot more to prevent automobile deaths than we do to prevent gun deaths.

Also, millions of Americans use their automobiles every day to get to and from work, to the store, etc.

There are not millions of violent crimes being committed every day to justify the number of gun deaths that occur.  The ration of gun use to death is astronomically greater than the ration of car use to death.

The whole argument is absurd.

Nothing will ever stop the people who have never had a DUI from going out and killing someone.  Keeping the ones who have off the road will help.

Breathalyzers are a good start.  DUI's can cost $10k or more so take some of the fine money or doing community service and make the offender have one installed at their cost.  They are not cheap but cheaper than a DUI fine. 

Just bought new car for kid at school and she is still in the teen rates.  Show me some big savings for doing it from mu insurance and I will pay $2500 to have one stuck in her car.  My only fear would be I have read sometimes you have to fumble for them to test while driving or your engine may just shut off.  Sounds like that could cause an accident but still less than multiple drunks driving.  

Now for the people who compare gun control to DUI's well god forbid the government makes everyone have a breathalyzer installed because, well sounds like more government control to me. 

Because it's apparent from the number of posts about car crashes and DUIs that this is a topic that does not get addressed enough and deserves it's own thread rather than accidentally derailing other threads.

There have been some great strides made in reducing the number of car related injuries and fatalaties, including those involving driving while intoxicated...but more can be done.

What are some of your serious suggestions?

I wonder.  What is the DUI rate in say NY City?  What is the DUI rate in Los Angeles. 

And the reason I ask is, NY, you can pretty much get anywhere in a taxi or train.  Not so in Los Angeles.  Also in NY, I think they can drink till like 4 or 5.  Might even be 24 hours. 

I am really liking the fact that I can get to many places now using the train.  Add to that, wherever I go, whether the Track or Angels/Ducks game, I can drink however much I want, and jump back on the train to get home with no worries. 

The train system could be better.  Like there isn't much connecting OC to IE, or OC to LB (I say that because Long Beach is the end of the Blue line)  You have the Green line in that bottom area, but it doesn't go all the way through to even connect to Metro going north south to OC.  You also don't have a connection north spreading across the valley.  Only connections that move away from LA to the valley.

I think you can also say nothing will stop a high percentage of first time offenders from getting a second one as they teach you in alcohol school over 50% of people who get one DUI will end up with more than one.  The guy who killed Adenhart had a suspended license and wasn't supposed to be driving but he still was and I believe it was his cousin's car as his cousin was too drunk to drive.  May be wrong on who the car belonged to but if it wasn't one of their cars with a breathalyzer they would have had someone else's car without one.  

I've made it no secret that in my younger dumber days I got a DUI.  Definitely not my proudest moment and I realize that I'm very lucky I didn't hurt anyone else or I wouldn't be where I am today.  I definitely don't make excuses and completed alcohol school, paid my fines, high insurance rates and so on but in misdemeanor DUI cases I'm not in favor or taking away someone's license like I've seen some people mention.  A lot of DUI's are dumbass kids in their early 20's like me and while it's something I'll never forget if it cost me my driver's license or was a felony I wouldn't be where I am today.  

edit - gotbeer during the uber thread I think red or someone else mentioned how DUI rates have dropped with the use of uber in some areas.  

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

I know someone with 9 DUIs.   Good dude too. 

I'll be interested in where you heroes take this thread.

Like Adam, I am a fan of Darwinism.

Sorry, anyone who goes out and puts peoples lives in danger for such selfish reasons is not a good dude.  Far from it and should be in jail for quite a long time.

For MT: How about we require all gun owners to have a license that expires every three years.  They have to renew that license.  They also have to license their firearms once a year.  They are limited the number of bullets they can own and can revoke their license to own fire arms if they get caught mishandling them or have other offenses.

None of those things exist except for the last one.  We do a lot more to prevent automobile deaths than we do to prevent gun deaths.

Also, millions of Americans use their automobiles every day to get to and from work, to the store, etc.

There are not millions of violent crimes being committed every day to justify the number of gun deaths that occur.  The ration of gun use to death is astronomically greater than the ration of car use to death.

The whole argument is absurd.

I've been thinking about this and I do not agree.  I have had a drivers license for 35 years and have never needed to test, written or driving, since I first received it.

I don't have a problem with having to renew a gun license.  I don't have a problem with waiting periods.  I do have a problem with limited ammunition because I think it does nothing but effect hunters and people who like to shoot.

I live in a state well known for it's DUIs. To the point of being cartoonish how terrible it is.

I have a mother and two daughters living with me right now with my family because their husband and father was killed in an inferno caused by a wrong way driver hitting him head-on on I-5. Had just got out of the army after being in Iraq no less. I really wish I knew what the answer was.

I've been thinking about this and I do not agree.  I have had a drivers license for 35 years and have never needed to test, written or driving, since I first received it.

I don't have a problem with having to renew a gun license.  I don't have a problem with waiting periods.  I do have a problem with limited ammunition because I think it does nothing but effect hunters and people who like to shoot.

Almost all states require drivers licenses to be renewed every three years and vehicles have to be registered once a year.

Renewed is meaningless.  That is just more money for the state.  If you want change then testing should be done.  But they don't care about safety, they care about $$$$$

I never said anything about re-testing.  They require the renewals to make sure people haven't moved or had another status change that impact their legal ID...

Gotta pay for all my other gun control measures some how.

For example a "smog" test where people have to bring their gun in to a certified center to show that it is still legal (not sawed off, modified to full auto etc) which also goes as a way to prove that they are still in possession of the fire arm.  Mandatory jail time if the gun cannot be produced and was not reported missing/stolen.

Gotta pay for all my other gun control measures some how.

For example a "smog" test where people have to bring their gun in to a certified center to show that it is still legal (not sawed off, modified to full auto etc) which also goes as a way to prove that they are still in possession of the fire arm.  Mandatory jail time if the gun cannot be produced and was not reported missing/stolen.

This seems racist

Sorry, anyone who goes out and puts peoples lives in danger for such selfish reasons is not a good dude.  Far from it and should be in jail for quite a long time.

People are not this black-and-white. Good people do stupid, even bad or "evil" things all the time. The world is not so simplistic that good dudes only do good and non-selfish things, and bad dudes only do bad and selfish things.