• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Car and DUI Thread

People can be addicted to something and harm themselves all they want.  As soon as they put other lives in danger then cry me a river and enjoy your time behind bars.

Imagine the worthless pile of shit that gets in a car "blackout drunk" and doesn't know what they are doing killing a ten year old.  I am sure the parents of that 10 year old would totally accept the apology that the person didn't know what they were doing.

Edited by nate

This is why I think breathalyzers in all new cars are necessary. An alcoholic who is in the midst of a blackout binge doesn't think before starting their car. Driving a car is still something they can do at an instinctual level, even if they can't do it very well while heavily under the influence. Theres little chance they could convince a sober person to blow into the breathalyzer for them. When the breathalyzer flashes .17 they would probably snap out of it and take a nap.

I don't know anything about car breathalyzers, but like every other component on modern cars, these things can be hacked, disabled, removed, etc. 

The notion of "unhackable" anything is wishful thinking at its finest. 

I know someone with 9 DUIs. Good dude too.

I'll be interested in where you heroes take this thread.

Like Adam, I am a fan of Darwinism.

I know someone with 8. And he got number 8 just three days after he got number 7. I think the first three were over ten years ago though, so the law deems him as having only 5. Still, I think he is looking at some legit jail time.

As far as I'm concerned, trying to prevent people from doing foolish, dangerous, and self-destructive things is a fool's errand. I'm for giving them all the rope they need then hanging them pretty severely right off the bat. Actions and consequences may not be learned in home or in school but we can be sure it's taught on the roads.

If someone wants to go to those measures, fine. It would be highly illegal and carry the risk of being caught. If a car is found to have a disabled breathalyzer it would be a major violation, and if you're caught under the influence with a disabled breathalyzer you get an attempted manslaughter charge to deal with.

The problem there is how do you prove disabled vs. defective, or who disabled it?

I know someone with 9 DUIs.   Good dude too. 

I'll be interested in where you heroes take this thread.

Like Adam, I am a fan of Darwinism.

Is it Darwinism if the drunkie sexting behind the wheel t-bones you? 

1367953531_ptMJSJU.gif

People die. People die tragically. I'm okay with that. 

just-a-gangsta.gif

How stupid and irresponsible must one be to acquire 9 DUI's? 

Lock that guy up before he kills someone (if he hasn't already done so).

We should implement caning. Send violent peeps to prison. A couple of DUIs gets you some time in county and help. After two, you get fvcked up with with a stick...and more help.

And if he kills someone during their drinking and driving escapade? If there is no teeth behind initial DUI convictions, than it's pointless...because the reality is their "first" DUI can be part of an accident that takes the lives of others. The goal shouldn't be to reduce multiple instances...but any instance. It should hurt...and leave a mark.

If that were the case, the driver would be facing prison time of 4-10 years.

The first time already is harsh and does sting, trust me it's not just a slap on the wrist.  You pay at least $10K between fines, alcohol school costs and increased car insurance rates and there's a time commitment in order to get everything completed which is necessary to keep your provisional license.  If you miss two alcohol classes (you have to go once or twice a week for 3-9 months depending on the circumstances of your case), don't pay your fines, don't attend required AA meetings, don't do community service if assigned or get caught driving with your provisional license when you're not supposed to be you end up back in court, most likely in jail and will lose your license.  

Edit - all of the above were the major requirements over 10 years ago.  At that time the DUI was on your record for 10 years and if anything it's probably only been extended.  Some time after I believe they started requiring people to attend a MADD meeting where they get blasted for being idiots.

It's still 10 years. However, whether AA classes are required is a county issue. For example, LA County requires them, San Bernardino does not. It's basically up to the judge to decide' which they rarely do. ( on 1st offenses)

Community service (work release) is an option in lieu of actually spending time in jail. Some also have the option of home confinement.

It's still 10 years. However, whether AA classes are required is a county issue. For example, LA County requires them, San Bernardino does not. It's basically up to the judge to decide' which they rarely do. ( on 1st offenses)

Community service (work release) is an option in lieu of actually spending time in jail. Some also have the option of home confinement.

Which is basically a state mandated time out.

You could say the same thing about a rapist or a burgler.

Jail seems to do an ok job with helping someone.  You won't see me taking pity on someone who selfishly puts lives in danger.  Remember the person who killed Adenhart had a few DUIs on his record.  The world would have been better off if he was rotting in jail.

"Jail seems to do an ok job with helping someone"

it does? the last figures I saw (for 2012) showed that those released from prison had a recidivism rate to be over 65% .

That's within 3 years of being released. 73% of those repeat offenders did so within the first year.

"Jail seems to do an ok job with helping someone"

it does? the last figures I saw (for 2012) showed that those released from prison had a recidivism rate to be over 65% .

That's within 3 years of being released. 73% of those repeat offenders did so within the first year.

Do you think that the recidivism for government required and facilitated rehab is lower?

Oh I agree. However, I'd rather have them sitting at home than cleaning roads during the day with evenings free to do as they please

Have to agree, I have to work the road crew all day I will get thirsty when they release me and spotted that bar across the street. 

Obviously you don't understand addiction. They are not going to quit drinking and its the drinking, not the driving, that gets them in this mess. 

"rotting" in jail will cost taxpayers 50k/year.

Or we can make cars that won't start unless the driver is sober(~$500 per new car).

and what should we do if they decide to borrow a car that doesn't have a breathalyzer installed? and what if they get loaded and kill someone while driving that car?

and people with addictions can learn to control them.

and what should we do if they decide to borrow a car that doesn't have a breathalyzer installed? and what if they get loaded and kill someone while driving that car?

and people with addictions can learn to control them.

They would be charged with murder.