• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler: "had converstations with LF FAs 24 hours ago"

ABC

By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com | @Alden_Gonzalez January 4th, 2016 
+

ANAHEIM -- Angels general manager Billy Eppler said Monday that he's "had conversations with free agents on the outfield market as recently as 24 hours ago."

Worth noting

• Albert Pujols, who underwent surgery to alleviate pain near the arch of his right foot in early November, has been given the OK to ditch his walking boot. "Everything has been very positive, and the feedback we're getting is that he's doing great," Eppler said of Pujols, whose initial timetable had him resuming baseball activities in March.

• The Angels have 11 relievers who could factor into their Major League depth chart, but Eppler said he'd "definitely" like to add more to his bullpen. Six of Eppler's relievers --Huston StreetJoe SmithFernando SalasCory RasmusBobby LaFromboise andRob Rasmussen -- can't be optioned, for various reasons. But more quality depth would be welcome.

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/161047578/angels-billy-eppler-seeks-outfield-free-agent

Edited by CF8

But he never mentions who or what caliber FA outfielders he's talking to. He could be talking to Matt Joyce for all we know.

Oh and he mentions that Pujols is doing great. But how's his foot doing?

Of course he doesn't mention who. What does he possibly gain by telling us who he is talking to? Edited by Stradling

Of course he doesn't mention who. What does he possibly gain by telling us who he is talking to?

What does he possibly gain by telling us he's talking to any FA outfielders? More likely that he's going to offer some spring traning tryout invitations.

Edited by CALZONE

What does he possibly gain by telling us he's talking to any FA outfielders? More likely that he's going to offer some spring traning tryout invitations.

i feel like he gains the most if he is lying. The market is starting to feel like there are more lf fa's demanding big contracts than there are teams willing to shell out. Angels HAVE to be a team that people look at as willing to spend, despite what's been said. If they are shoping, and casually mention that they have talked to someone in the last 24 hours, then in the back of every agents mind has got to be the fact that that isnt THEIR player the angels are talking to, and yet another suitor may be slipping away.

Obviously, in the grand scheme of things, this wouldnt make a big impact. But that would be my guess about what is going on. Negotiation.

Personally, I believe the Angels will sign a better player for LF.  They are just waiting for prices to drop and I don't blame them.  Upton/Cespedes/Gordon are not worth 20+ million a year.

Now, I have no idea if the Angels end up signing one of those guys when their price drops or a guy like Parra, but I do believe the team will have a full time LF by Spring Training.

MLB Hot Stove this morning showed that of the major free agent signings in the 12/13 offseason, 7 out of 8 were busts and most of those players were traded. The only considered successful signing was Greinke because he opted out.

Greinke opting out was a Dodgers nightmare ... It was a bust for them.

"Hey Billy, what up?"

"Who is this?"

"It's Justin, did you call me for any reason?"

"Justin who?"

"Justin Upton.  Why did you call me?"

"I didn't call you.  Must have been an accidental dial.  My kid was playing with the phone.  Sorry about that"

"No worries"