• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels are "in the mix" for Yoenis Cespedes

Second Base

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/orioles-white-sox-favorites-yoenis-cespedes.html

I think if the Angels do sign an OF, it's going to be him. No compensation due, his arm profiles well in LF, puts some muscle between a Trout and Pujols, you know Arte remembers that throw, and Cespedes fits in the current 5 year window the Angels are looking at.

I doubt the Angels make a move at all, but if they do, I picture it being the silent swooping of years past that involves a lucrative "take it or leave it" offer.

What do you guys suppose it will cost?

Just my guess, but the first round pick adds about 10 million to the overall contract. You're buying his age 30-_ seasons. Heyward pulled down 23 million a year. It's late in the offseason though, which should add a small discount given a lack of suitors. I'm going to say 5 years 100 million does it.

The teams listed are as expected.  Orioles, CWS, Giants and Angels.  

I see him as a fit for CWS actually.  Orioles will eventually get Davis.  

That will leave the Giants and Angels with Upton and Gordon on the board.  

Might as well wait it out at this point.  

What I would love to see is Cespedes sign for 4/80 or 5/90 and then we could get Upton at 6/110-120.  Or Gordon at 4/75.  Still wouldn't be too thrilled about Gordon.  

Cespedes is better than Upton when you look at OPS+, OPS, SLG and AVG.  The only thing Upton has is a higher OBP.  Cespedes is better defensively and would provide good protection for Trout.  I am all for him.

are we looking at last year only?  Because for their careers they are similar with the significant edge to upton in obp and a slight edge to Cespedes in slg.   Park factors considered, they are almost exactly the same.  

Cespedes gets the pub because of his arm, but I feel like Upton is underrated defensively.  He was very good as a LFer last year with steady improvement over the last 3 years.  

The big difference?  Upton is 2 years younger so you are getting some supposed prime years.  Yes, it's gonna cost you more and you lose the draft pick, but if we want a guy who is gonna fit the 5 year trout window, Upton makes more sense to me.  

The think I don't like about Cespedes is that his skill set is primed for an early decline.  Defense goes first.  Then the ability to hit.  Then power.  His 5% BB rate makes me nervous that he could have 

OBP lasts the longest and Upton has been very consistent in that realm.  

They both have their warts for the price it's gonna cost, but such is the predicament the Angels are in.  

are we looking at last year only?  Because for their careers they are similar with the significant edge to upton in obp and a slight edge to Cespedes in slg.   Park factors considered, they are almost exactly the same.  

Cespedes gets the pub because of his arm, but I feel like Upton is underrated defensively.  He was very good as a LFer last year with steady improvement over the last 3 years.  

The big difference?  Upton is 2 years younger so you are getting some supposed prime years.  Yes, it's gonna cost you more and you lose the draft pick, but if we want a guy who is gonna fit the 5 year trout window, Upton makes more sense to me.  

The think I don't like about Cespedes is that his skill set is primed for an early decline.  Defense goes first.  Then the ability to hit.  Then power.  His 5% BB rate makes me nervous that he could have 

OBP lasts the longest and Upton has been very consistent in that realm.  

They both have their warts for the price it's gonna cost, but such is the predicament the Angels are in.  

OPS+ takes park factor into account.  OBP doesn't mean anything if you don't have someone to drive them in.

5 years to Cespedes only takes him to age 34.

Cespedes only has 4 full MLB seasons under his belt, plus much shorter Cuban League seasons.

It's not like he's played a ton of games already.

5 years/$100 million sounds about right.

I don't think the length of the Cuban league matters much when you consider he's been "working" at being a baseball player since he was 10 years old and he was sent off to a state run baseball "school".   The way the Cuban sports machine works, he's been playing baseball 24/7 for 10 months a year since before he entered puberty -- coming to the US was probably his first real time off.

I don't like his OBP, and because of my saber tendencies he's likely one of the guys I liked the leas... h is swing rates at balls outside the zone don't paint a pretty picture as far as decline goes...

but there are some intangibles in place.  Nobody has ever questioned his motor, the dude works... and he's got genetics on his side.  His family has LONG ties to Cuban baseball AND softball.  His mom was an Olympic softball player, his dad played catcher in the Cuban league for a long time.. 

If the price and years are right, he's a world better than our current options.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Of course OBP means something regardless of who bats after him. I'm not a star geek but there HAS to be a Correlation between base runners and runs scored. Also it's not like one option is good and the other sucks. Sign who you can sign of the two. If it costs you a pick to get a 28 year old good defender that is a lock for 25 homers and a .350 OBP then do it.

The teams listed are as expected.  Orioles, CWS, Giants and Angels.  

I see him as a fit for CWS actually.  Orioles will eventually get Davis.  

That will leave the Giants and Angels with Upton and Gordon on the board.  

Might as well wait it out at this point.  

What I would love to see is Cespedes sign for 4/80 or 5/90 and then we could get Upton at 6/110-120.  Or Gordon at 4/75.  Still wouldn't be too thrilled about Gordon.

I think selfishly what I'm hoping for is a lack of suitable landing spots for the glut of remaining OF's and the end result being a significant decrease in price, which would in essence, even out the market from its early inflation from November/December. Heyward got 23 million, and if all the teams are playing conservatively, we might tend up seeing Upton at 20, Cespedes at 17 and Gordon at 15, which is a steal for Upton and Gordon. 17 million seems about right for Cespedes given the risk. He'll get 20 though.

Or perhaps even some of the OF's take a one year contract in order to re-enter the market next year. That would be amazing if the Angels found themselves getting one of the top three remaining OF's on a one year deal. That's how it shook out for Abreu, though I imagine such a venture would be more pricey today.

Of course OBP means something regardless of who bats after him. I'm not a star geek but there HAS to be a Correlation between base runners and runs scored. Also it's not like one option is good and the other sucks. Sign who you can sign of the two. If it costs you a pick to get a 28 year old good defender that is a lock for 25 homers and a .350 OBP then do it.

Not making outs is a good thing.  Doesnt matter how bad the hitters behind a guy is, if he's not making outs, he's upping the "chance" to score a run.