• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Postseason hero Dave 'Hendu' Henderson dies at 57

seenoevil

In hindsight, and with the inclusion of the 2002 World Series win, the most notable thing about that clip now is that there's a dude in the first row, just to the left of home plate rocking a Sonny Crockett ensemble, Miami Vice circa seasons 1 and 2.  There's no way you'd see that in Seasons 3-5.

So, seeing as this game was played in October 1986, Miami Vice was entering its third season. That dude's duds were sooooo '84-May 1986.

I was at Game 4, which we won in extra innings after being down to Clemens 3-0 in the 9th.

Game 5, I was waiting in line outside the stadium to buy World Series tickets, which we were told would go on sale immediately if the Angels won the game.

Rest in peace to an Angels nemesis. In death, though, there are no longer enemies.

Edited by fan_since79

Very sad. I, too was at Game 5 in '86. I was standing about 10 feet from the left field foul pole. It really seemed to me that Hendu would fly out to Brian Downing in LF. But then the ball kept going... and going...and then Downing put his head down and so did I. That was a hard loss to forget and, of course, it took 16 years for vindication.

But baseball's baseball and real life is real life. Twenty years ago I was in Boston on a mid-November Sunday ready for a week of training. My buddy, Joel from Chicago was hired on with the same company and we headed down to Fanueil Hall to find a pub to watch his Bears. Joel had heard my Game 5 story so many times he could recite it verbatim. We found a booth and I came across a flyer that said that Dave Henderson would be signing lithographs of his ALCS home run all weekend long on behalf of, oddly enough, Angelman Syndrome. I believe he had a child that was afflicted. The flyer mentioned that Dave would appear at a separate restaurant each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I asked the waiter where the Sunday pub was. "This is it, " he said. Hendu would be signing from 12:30 to 2:30. I looked at my watch. 2:00. I peered over my left shoulder and ten feet away was Dave Henderson. I shook his hand, laughingly explained to him how he broke my heart nine years earlier and chatted with him for a couple of minutes until a young mother with with a daughter who suffered with the disorder grabbed his attention. To me, he was a gracious man. RIP Hendu.

I was watching the game with my then girl friend, getting ready to go out to dinner with my parents to Nieuport 17 for my birthday.   

It was weird that I really didn't have it sink in until game 7 of the ALCS, maybe because they were still up 3-2 going back to Boston.

They even led early in both games 6 and 7, iirc, but tanked after that each time.

If only Pettis' drive in the 10th inning was just several inches higher.

R.I.P. Dave.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The thing I will always remember about that day was the silence that such a large and boisterous crowd exited the stadium in.

It was as if someone died.

People just walked out to their cars without uttering a sound.

It was really strange.

The thing I will remember was watching pitch location and Boone reaching for it and then contact and the Jump! 

And then the eventual feeling of having my heart ripped out of my chest!

I was watching the game with my then girl friend, getting ready to go out to dinner with my parents to Nieuport 17 for my birthday.

It was weird that I really didn't have it sink in until game 7 of the ALCS, maybe because they were still up 3-2 going back to Boston.

They even led early in both games 6 and 7, iirc, but tanked after that each time.

If only Pettis' drive in the 10th inning was just several inches higher.

R.I.P. Dave.

Funny. I was at the bar in Nieuport 17 when Aaron Boone broke Red Sox fans hearts in the 2003 ALCS. I probably have the record for yelling the loudest "Ya! F*** you Boston!" ever yelled in that class joint.

Very sad. I, too was at Game 5 in '86. I was standing about 10 feet from the left field foul pole. It really seemed to me that Hendu would fly out to Brian Downing in LF. But then the ball kept going... and going...and then Downing put his head down and so did I. That was a hard loss to forget and, of course, it took 16 years for vindication.

But baseball's baseball and real life is real life. Twenty years ago I was in Boston on a mid-November Sunday ready for a week of training. My buddy, Joel from Chicago was hired on with the same company and we headed down to Fanueil Hall to find a pub to watch his Bears. Joel had heard my Game 5 story so many times he could recite it verbatim. We found a booth and I came across a flyer that said that Dave Henderson would be signing lithographs of his ALCS home run all weekend long on behalf of, oddly enough, Angelman Syndrome. I believe he had a child that was afflicted. The flyer mentioned that Dave would appear at a separate restaurant each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I asked the waiter where the Sunday pub was. "This is it, " he said. Hendu would be signing from 12:30 to 2:30. I looked at my watch. 2:00. I peered over my left shoulder and ten feet away was Dave Henderson. I shook his hand, laughingly explained to him how he broke my heart nine years earlier and chatted with him for a couple of minutes until a young mother with with a daughter who suffered with the disorder grabbed his attention. To me, he was a gracious man. RIP Hendu.

Man I was right next to you. We literally had one foot on the fence by the foul pole ready to rush the field.