• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can We Please

Stradling

Stop using the phrase, "traded the farm for Simmons". This isn't a superfan post, but seriously, we gave up two pitchers. One of those pitchers has incredible upside and I think will be very good, the other might be a back of the rotation type of pitcher. If you traded the farm by trading two pitchers, then you really didn't have a farm to begin with. Sorry for the rant.

Stop using the phrase, "traded the farm for Simmons". This isn't a superfan post, but seriously, we gave up two pitchers. One of those pitchers has incredible upside and I think will be very good, the other might be a back of the rotation type of pitcher. If you traded the farm by trading two pitchers, then you really didn't have a farm to begin with. Sorry for the rant.

Well, I mean....

What Oz is trying to say is we traded all of our wallabies for a kangaroo that was all pouch and no jump. Doesn't matter it was only two wallabies, when all you've got is two wallabies.

Thank you google translate.

We had three bottles of Fosters in the fridge and traded them for a jar of Vegemite even though we didn't have any bread.

Or something like that.

You are right, we didn't trade "the farm."  We just traded the barn and the house.

I posted this at 7:08 this evening.

They didn't gut their farm system, they gave up two players. If that is gutting it the farm system it has less to it than a high school dissection frog. If that's the case then there really is no harm done, it was dead anyway.

Calscuf, what do you think, do I have a lawsuit?

The Simmons deal makes perfect sense if you are trying to win now.  With a LHP heavy rotation, having the best defensive SS in baseball will help quite a bit.  Unfortunately, we have a revolving door in Left Field and an average to below average defensive 3rd basemen, assuming Escobar plays there.  I dont know much about Newcomb but considering how highly rated he was, it would have been smarter to trade him for a LF or a 3B. 

We traded what amounted to our only tradeable assets...  you want to nit pick the phrase fine, but weve got nothing left, what else do you call it ?  
No, we didnt have much to begin with, but one would think trading those parts for an actual need would have made more sense... now we are left dumpster diving for a third place goal?
Bottom line, the front office has called off the next 1-2 seasons on the fans due to its own mistakes.

Strad, you had to know this thread was destined for glorious failure.

/Sarcasm on

Come on man!!

Everyone knows that highly touted prospects ALWAYS make it in the major leagues.

/Sarcasm off

Go Halos!!!

On a side note, I now hope that Duke Newcomb is thoroughly mediocre and eventually gets traded to the Padres, where he resurrects his career. Then the Angels will trade two hot prospects for him, and he'll return to mediocre form.

There's only a handful of great SS's in baseball right now. I consider one of the most important positions on the team. Andrelton saves runs ... a pitchers best friend.

It was either now or never ... I'll take now. I'm a big Aybar fan but his over all rating was near the bottom of the pack. Now we're lock and loaded for the next five years at a premium position and a friendly contract.

BTW Andrelton has the ability to be a power bat. He chooses to spray the ball and boost his OBP ... which was .321 last season. I believe there's still room for improvement/upside offensively.

Did we trade the farm? I don't think so ... we have young pitching.

Did the trade hurt a little ... Yes but it also hurt the Braves.

In a vacuum, its a fair trade - highly talented young potential top of the rotation SP prospect for a SS, a position that is lacking in overall talent, that is widely acknowledged as THE best defensive player at his position in the league by a wide margin.  

However, due to the vast wasteland that is our farm, it only makes sense to use your best trade-able asset to address your most obvious need if you do not plan to fill via free agency.  The most immediate need was LFer who could hit in the middle of the order in a line-up with glaring holes and with no successor waiting the wings.  As stated, in light of the Angels current situation, you only do this if you are going to sign an impact bat that is currently available from the pool of Heyward, Upton, Gordon, and Cespedes.  

The offseason is not over, so I am going to reserve judgement until opening day, but, so far, this trade appears ill-advised.

Here's what will happen. Simmons will be what he's been with a slight uptick offensively. He will provide 4-5 WAR seasons for the next several years. Then he will have a down year during his contract extension. Meanwhile over the next several seasons Newcomb will be an ok pitcher. Then during Simmons down year we will have a pitcher also get hurt. That year Newcomb will have a good season, his first. AngelsWin will be mad we made the trade.