• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Starlin Castro

Cdaniel

This is a buy-low situation.

Learn how to talk to people.

He has been erratic, all potential but never seems to be able to put it together. Last season was not his only full season of tanking and you can't even use the excuse the team was so bad he wasn't inspired to play better. You can't use the excuse it was a bad manager at fault. What you really can't use as an excuse is he will be better in Anaheim. So I'm lost as to what excuse you can come up with to waste resources on a reclamation project other than everyone seems to have too tight of underwear when they think of Giavotella at 2nd base next season, even though he had a better season. Edited by notti

If the price is right sure but even looking at his ridiculous stat line for the last 38 games of the year it shows he doesn't take a lot of walks.  I understand he was hitting the hell out of the ball but point is when his average goes down he's not the type of guy who makes some of it up by getting on base via walks.  Offensively you're talking about a guy who for his career is slightly below league average based on OPS+ and I'm guessing his price would cost more than he may be worth.  

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

I don't think Santiago gets it done.  

The Cubs are the front runners for Price in my opinion.  They'd have Arrieta, Price, Lester, Kendrick and Hammel.  With depth in Wada.  They probably need more depth than an everyday starter at this point, so if they were going to trade Castro, my guess is it would be for upper minors pitchers with a high ceiling, a top flight catching prospect in addition to Contreras (AA guy.  #5 catching prospect in baseball) or in a package to get an everyday CFer.  

They also have one of the best farm systems in baseball even after graduating Russell, Bryant and Schwarber.  They've got a ton more position players coming.  

They also have Alcantara and Gleyber Torres.  

They're top 15 prospects could probably completely displace our top 15.  ha!

Anyway, I don't think they want middle of the rotation guys.  If I were them, I'd be trying to pry AJ pollock away from the Dbacks.  

The idea of Starlin Castro at 2B isn't totally unappealing in a cost conscious payroll environment. He has five years of cost control (about $8.5MM in AAV) which is exactly the type of player the Angels are looking at right now to align with Trout's five remaining years.

His fringe average defense at SS will likely translate to above average defense at 2B so I think he'd be a good fit defensively and his last 38 games of the season as Sam pointed out above point to his potential despite the fact that his BABIP was a bit inflated over his MLB career numbers (although it aligns closer to his Minor League BABIP).

If the asking price isn't high (and it shouldn't be considering the money he is owed and the switch to 2B) the Angels could do worse.

Hitting him in the 2-hole would probably not be a good idea though unless he shows that those last 38 games weren't a fluke.

Edited by ettin

The idea of Starlin Castro at 2B isn't totally unappealing in a cost conscious payroll environment. He has five years of cost control (about $8.5MM in AAV) which is exactly the type of player the Angels are looking at right now to align with Trout's five remaining years.

His fringe average defense at SS will likely translate to above average defense at 2B so I think he'd be a good fit defensively and his last 38 games of the season as Sam pointed out above point to his potential despite the fact that his BABIP was a bit inflated over his MLB career numbers (although it aligns closer to his Minor League BABIP).

If the asking price isn't high (and it shouldn't be considering the money he is owed and the switch to 2B) the Angels could do worse.

Hitting him in the 2-hole would probably not be a good idea though unless he shows that those last 38 games weren't a fluke.

Curious to know what you think it take for a trade. As Doc mentioned they are stacked.

This is getting old. Threads get frozen/deleted for "personal attacks", but this is how a mod replies to a simple opinion? Bullshit.

If I missed an inside joke here, my bad. But I doubt it.

Name a single thread that's been removed for "personal attacks".

This forum is the wild ****ing west of Angel's baseball.

And bitching.

Curious to know what you think it take for a trade. As Doc mentioned they are stacked.

Hector Santiago (2 years of arbitration control) for Starlin Castro (five years of cost control) would be a fair trade with no money exchanging hands in terms of current value. A case could be made that you shouldn't tender Santiago a contract in 2017 but the same can be said of picking up Castro's fifth year of control (it's a team option) assuming that both players continue to produce the same WAR as they currently project.

If you believe Castro is better than 1.23 WAR per season (his moving 3-year average by the way) then he'll cost more, perhaps someone like Jose Alvarez who has five years of control.

I personally think the Santiago-Castro trade would be good for both teams. Hector would move to the NL where he'd likely see his numbers improve slightly and Castro is still only 25 years old and still has possible upside for the Angels despite the move to the AL.

Name a single thread that's been removed for "personal attacks".

This forum is the wild ****ing west of Angel's baseball.

And bitching.

I remember some fun threads with Deniz/VegasMike, and one regarding Percy's hat that someone took offense to. Granted, those were a few years back. Do those count?

Hector Santiago (2 years of arbitration control) for Starlin Castro (five years of cost control) would be a fair trade with no money exchanging hands in terms of current value. A case could be made that you shouldn't tender Santiago a contract in 2017 but the same can be said of picking up Castro's fifth year of control (it's a team option) assuming that both players continue to produce the same WAR as they currently project.

If you believe Castro is better than 1.23 WAR per season (his moving 3-year average by the way) then he'll cost more, perhaps someone like Jose Alvarez who has five years of control.

I personally think the Santiago-Castro trade would be good for both teams. Hector would move to the NL where he'd likely see his numbers improve slightly and Castro is still only 25 years old and still has possible upside for the Angels despite the move to the AL.

So a Santiago and Alvarez for Castro trade? The Cubbies would be a little left handed pitching heavy but I don't think they are going to spend as much as some people think they are this winter, so you never really know.

So a Santiago and Alvarez for Castro trade? The Cubbies would be a little left handed pitching heavy but I don't think they are going to spend as much as some people think they are this winter, so you never really know.

I'm not necessarily proposing that exact trade just saying that based on Castro's 3-year moving average of WAR (1.23 WAR average per year over the last 3 years) as a projection of what he will do each year over the next four years and accounting for WAR inflation (which is about 10% per year according to FanGraphs) and his increasing salary you end up with a barely positive valuation for Starlin.

Santiago has a similar dollar valuation as a starter for next year.

Put it a different way: If Castro were to sign a four-year deal as a free agent he'd likely get about $15MM per year ($60MM total) based on his last three seasons of not so great results.

Santiago if he were to sign a 1-year deal would probably get somewhere between $15MM-$20MM on the FA market.

So currently Castro is owed almost $40MM on his contract so his surplus value is about $20MM give or take. Santiago would have about $10MM-15MM surplus based on his projected arbitration price this offseason.

It's that surplus value that most teams are looking at and so there is a case to be made that a swap of them is possible although it will probably expand to a 2nd player on each side to balance out any perceived difference in worth.

Just my thoughts on it I could be totally wrong.

EDIT: Also please note there is a difference between trade market prices and free agent prices. Prices in the former can be much more reasonable than what a free market offers. Demand drives the latter sometimes to absurd levels while the trade market has different driving forces to it. This is why a swap of Santiago for Castro in the trade market makes more sense than it might if you're using free agency dynamics to compare them.

Edited by ettin