• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Just got a smoker

Adam

By the way, best wood chips to use for Tri Tip in my opinion is whiskey barrel oak.

I had never considered a wood pellet grill, but it does sound intriguing. That could really add some amazing flavor to meat. 

I used to feel cool when i bbq'd "A" steak, or some chicken...thats way out of my league stuff.

Always wanted to get a good set up and do some cool stuff you guys are talking about, but never seem to have the time to cook

Honestly I have a standard Weber charcoal bbq, electric smoker, weber charcoal smoker and a Weber Genesis gas grill.  I use the gas grill the most by far.  It is convenient, easy to clean and does a great job.  Well worth the $700.  If you are looking to dive into BBQ that would be my suggestion.

My dad has a Traeger. It's cool. You can set it and forget it. You literally set the temp you want and walk away. With the exception of flipping the meat, there is not much to do. The food tastes great and it's super easy.

That being said, I love charcoal and wood. There is more to it and there is a bit of skill and practice involved. More of a hands on experience, which I like. Drinking beer, playing guitar, hanging out with friends while smoking ribs and chicken is a pretty good way to spend a Saturday.

Honestly I have a standard Weber charcoal bbq, electric smoker, weber charcoal smoker and a Weber Genesis gas grill.  I use the gas grill the most by far.  It is convenient, easy to clean and does a great job.  Well worth the $700.  If you are looking to dive into BBQ that would be my suggestion.

My wife tolerates my wasting an entire day (read: drink beer and listen to music) about twice a month smoking something on the charcoal grill.  She would prefer we had a gas grill for things like burgers, chicken, steak, etc so it doesn't take 30 minutes for the coals to get ready

Honestly I have a standard Weber charcoal bbq, electric smoker, weber charcoal smoker and a Weber Genesis gas grill. I use the gas grill the most by far. It is convenient, easy to clean and does a great job. Well worth the $700. If you are looking to dive into BBQ that would be my suggestion.

i have a gas and a regular charcoal one but havent used either in 2 or 3 years (pathetically). I used to use them all the time, but just never seem to have time anymore. But would love to learn how to make tri tip and some of the stuff im reading on here.

I think I would not sear meat if I am going to smoke it.  Generally you sear meat to hold in juices, the same mechanism will prevent smoke from penetrating into the meat.  I have never seen anyone sear a cut of meat prior to smoking.

Your spice rub will have sugar in it and that forms a "bark" on the outside of the meat when it combines with the meat juices and smoke.

Yep...I'm the same, though I did ditch the charcoal smoker. If you have a good gas grill, with some time and practice you can do some great things. We went with the Broil King, same rating as the Weber Genesis but half the price. The guy at Lowe's was right, for the money it is the best BBQ I've ever owned.

Another nice investment was the Weber Infusing Chicken Roaster. Mustard slather and some rub, hour or so later you are ripping apart the chicken, can't even wait for it to be carved up.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28631736&KPID=17283455&pla=pla_17283455

that must have been it.

actually it just turns out that the bones combust at about 700 degrees.  Also that my grill will reach 700 if I leave it at max and decide to pay more attention to my beer than the meat.

Nice!  My first time ever grilling was a flank steak on a gas Weber.

Apparently 600 degrees is not the recommended temp.

Yep...I'm the same, though I did ditch the charcoal smoker. If you have a good gas grill, with some time and practice you can do some great things. We went with the Broil King, same rating as the Weber Genesis but half the price. The guy at Lowe's was right, for the money it is the best BBQ I've ever owned.

Another nice investment was the Weber Infusing Chicken Roaster. Mustard slather and some rub, hour or so later you are ripping apart the chicken, can't even wait for it to be carved up.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28631736&KPID=17283455&pla=pla_17283455

The problem is reliability and longevity.  We got the Weber because people have them for 10+ years without issues.  Other grills seem to fall apart.  It may have been overkill before we moved but because rust is a problem here with all the moisture in the air I am glad we have it.  Super easy to clean and the flavorizer bars really add to the taste.

Nice!  My first time ever grilling was a flank steak on a gas Weber.

Apparently 600 degrees is not the recommended temp.

Unless you were trying to make charcoal.

The problem is reliability and longevity.  We got the Weber because people have them for 10+ years without issues.  Other grills seem to fall apart.  It may have been overkill before we moved but because rust is a problem here with all the moisture in the air I am glad we have it.  Super easy to clean and the flavorizer bars really add to the taste.

Agreed. The burner guarantee on the Broil King is 10 years. The last grill I had fell apart in 2 years.

I don't begrudge the Weber at all...my understanding is the Broil King is pretty much on par with it without some of the bells and whistles, just a few hundred less.