• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Just got a smoker

Adam

one of the sad parts of my diet is that i really don't have anything that can be used in any of these. Vegetarian products tend to be really small and thin, and therefore don't need a lot of this kind of equipment.

i can put a store bought veggie burger on the grill, like something from morningstar farms, but a homemade burger is pretty loose and wouldn't hold up well on a grill. 

Here's a hot smoke salmon recipe I've done that has turned out fantastic using a Weber kettle grill.

Nice sized Salmon filet, 1 to 1.5 pounds, or even the size you can get at Costco.

Lemon with salt and pepper or seasoning of your choice.

Soak small wood chips (a good sized handful or two) for 30 minutes as you let fish come to room temperature and start briquettes.

When coals are ready dump wet chips directly on hot coals. Put fish on grill. Close lid all the way, and closer damper on top all the way, leave some airflow on the bottom. Smoke will be billowing out the sides...that's good.

Don't touch for 20 minutes. Check. If not done put lid back down...open damper a little if you need to and cook a few more minutes.

Perfectly cooked salmon with a nice smokey flavor...but not too overwhelming.

Here's a hot smoke salmon recipe I've done that has turned out fantastic using a Weber kettle grill.

Nice sized Salmon filet, 1 to 1.5 pounds, or even the size you can get at Costco.

Lemon with salt and pepper or seasoning of your choice.

Soak small wood chips (a good sized handful or two) for 30 minutes as you let fish come to room temperature and start briquettes.

When coals are ready dump wet chips directly on hot coals. Put fish on grill. Close lid all the way, and closer damper on top all the way, leave some airflow on the bottom. Smoke will be billowing out the sides...that's good.

Don't touch for 20 minutes. Check. If not done put lid back down...open damper a little if you need to and cook a few more minutes.

Perfectly cooked salmon with a nice smokey flavor...but not too overwhelming.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've done this for boneless chicken breasts as well and it comes out fantastic. Only difference is depending on size of the breast you may need to cook it a little longer, flip it half way through, and spray it down with some water when you turn it. You may want to open up the top damper a little to make sure the coals stoke back up a little. I've had to pull the breasts off the grill and pop them in the oven once because the coals died out since the top damper is shut.

Nate (or anyone else), have you had any luck with those smoker boxes you use with a gas grill? I've tried it a few times, but haven't had much luck.

This is what I usually use.  You can't get the hours of smoke that you would with a smoker.  You can get about 45 minutes of smoke on your meat, maybe 60 if you are lucky.  At least with my old Weber.  You have to put the smoker box under the cooking grate close to the burner and it doesn't make sense to refill the box during the cook.

I do ribs all the time on the gas grill.  I have a "rib rack" that allows you to smoke several rib sections.  There are three burners in my Weber.  The smoker box sits above one of the burners and the ribs are placed over the other two burners which are off.  After smoking I put the ribs into a large covered aluminum pan and cook for about another 1.5 hours.  Before serving, sauce the ribs and finish on the grill.

I would do beef brisket the same way.  Get as much smoke on the meat as possible then transfer to a covered pan.  Cover the meat with a mixture of yellow mustard and onion soup mix (Jewish recipe). During the last 30 minutes sauce it.

I also cook whole chickens using the "beer can" method.  The entire cooking time is 1.5-1.75 hours and you get about 45 minutes of smoke on the chicken.  Comes out really good.  In this case on the 3-burner Weber the chicken sits in the center over a burner which is off, and the two outer burners are on, for "indirect" cooking.

So I like cooking with smoke but I don't really have the right equipment.  Still haven't bought a smoker though.

Red, I often use one just to infuse some extra flavor when I am grilling something.  The trick is to heat the grill up to about 500 and keep it there until you start to get smoke, then get the temp to what you need it and grill.  If you don't give the wood chips a chance to start smoking, sometimes they never will with the smoker box.