• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Butcher and Baylor fired

Thomas

I guess it is semantics, I just look at it differently. Players and coaches in my mind are similar, if there contracts are up and they aren't retained then it isn't about being fired in my eyes. Also reading the article by Fletcher, Butcher said it was mutual (what else was he going to say), and Baylor was asked to stay on as an advisor. I don't say these things to be "a better fan", I guess I say them out of respect and what I would call accuracy. Mickey Hatcher, he was fired, the Angels paid his salary to go away. These guys just weren't retained. I have never worked for a contracted job, so I don't know what it is like, but my guess is that at the end of the contract you are either kept or you aren't. Sorry if my reasoning makes me give off a sense of superiority, it's not my intention, it's just the way I see things, in sports I don't see good guys and bad guys, unless we are talking about the Red Sox.

I work in an annual, renewable contract environment and there's a lot of euphemism surrounding the process. No one is ever "fired" they are just notified that their contract will not be renewed (and occasionally reassigned to "special projects"). They are, in fact, being canned because the default state is that your contract is renewed, so people naturally equate the two actions as the same.

You can be on contract and end the relationship because the project is done. Or you can have your contract end and not be renewed however someone else takes your place. The latter is fired. I've been on both sides of both types of contracts.