• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why is Taylor Featherston starting over Grant Green?

laagamer

I've been a big believer in Green, but he just hasn't produced in the majors. I see no reason to have him play unless he performs.

He has to get playing time to see.  Reminds me of Brandon Wood.  Called up, not played, sent down.

That aggravates me more than anything.

He has to get playing time to see.  Reminds me of Brandon Wood.  Called up, not played, sent down.

People keep saying that, but when he DOES play, he does nothing.  You can't just assume that if he gets 20 straight starts that he'll magically start hitting .300.   He now has 300 plate appearances in the majors.  He has produced a slash line of .249/.283/.335, while playing sub-par defense.  He's also about to turn 28, so it's not like he's still "developing."  His time has passed.  Move on.

This. Even if Green is a percentage point better than Taylor offensively, which I think we all can agree on, he has to be in there at this point in the season. Especially with how abysmal this offense has been all season.

Except that run prevention has been proven to have a greater impact on wins than run production -- last night being a perfect example...   Of course had Green been on there he wouldn't have even tried to make a play on the ball -- it's what he does.

When push comes to shove, I think the Angels have decided Green isnt going to factor into the team's future while Featherston still might.  They basically handcuffed themselves all year with him, may as well play him now.

Featherston's defense, particularly his throwing, isn't very good either.

All the flawed new age and old school defensive metrics say differently.   I get it, defensive metrics are iffy -- but when they all point to the same conclusion its a where they is smoke there is fire argument.  Conversely, all the metrics and the eye test say Green blows defensively.

Edited by Inside Pitch

overall, they are probably of about equal value.  

Featherston is a very good defense player who might as well not take a bat to the plate

Green might as well take an OFers glove to play 2b.  But his bat is much better even though it's still below average.  

Game to game, the defensive difference is going to be more consistent.  With Green you try to catch lightning on offense with a decent match up or just dumb luck.  

At this point, Green is the guy you send in to play second in the 15th inning, after you pinch hit for Jackson (who was only playing because you pinch hit for Featherston in the 8th).

When we officially go into SLC West mode, he'll become the guy you send in to pinch run for Cron in the 8th, maybe leave him in playing first.

He is, but at this point he is best projected as an INF utility who can play 3 positions well and maybe start 40-50 games a season once he gets more minor league hitting experience in 2016.

Even Ray Oyler in 1968 was a better hitter.

But there is no way I would lose a 1st round pick to sign a 33 year-old in 2016 HK to a multi-year deal.

Signing Heyward to fix LF canyon sized issue on the other hand is a different story, being just age 27 in 2016.

Do you believe Kendrick will get a 13 milion qualifying offer?

Yes Strad, please continue telling me why I made this thread. Do you predict the future as well?

Will my ear herpes ever go away?

Yea my bad I must have missed this thread two nights ago when he started and we won, oh and his strong armed throw completely a double play that got Richards out of a jam late in the game. Or when you created this thread the night before when Featgerston started and we won. And no your ear aids is there for good.

Do you believe Kendrick will get a 13 milion qualifying offer?

It will be closer to 16 million and honestly I think he will just because it's the Dodgers. Any other team would probably not give him the QO but the Dodgers throw around money like it's worthless so they can probably take it or leave it either way. If he takes it, they get one more year of good production from 2nd base. If he doesn't, they have Olivera and Sweeney in the minors to take over and they get a first round pick.

Well he can't get sent down any more this year.  There is no where to go, Salt Lake is about done.

In limited playing time, Green has a .489 OPS. Yes, Featherston's is even worse, but when you get into sub .500 OPS territory, it's all bad. Green has never done anything in the majors, and I think it's time for everyone to just realize that he's not good. Second base is a massive black hole in the organization, as Yarbrough had a terrible year this year, too. So much for being the heir apparent.

It's sad that a replacement-level guy like Johnny G is, by far, the best option in the org.

Yarbrough has a .600 ops....in the PCL. Yeesh

I know he can't hit, but that is just awful

Except that run prevention has been proven to have a greater impact on wins than run production -- last night being a perfect example... Of course had Green been on there he wouldn't have even tried to make a play on the ball -- it's what he does.

When push comes to shove, I think the Angels have decided Green isnt going to factor into the team's future while Featherston still might. They basically handcuffed themselves all year with him, may as well play him now.

As you said, defensive metrics are questionable.

Did that play cost us the game? Not necessarilly. I agree that if we had even a little amount more offensive production, that play wouldn't have had such a big impact.

Regarding Green, I'm not saying he's a difference maker offensively. Although he hasn't had nearly as much playing time as Taylor. My point is more about how bad Featherstons offensive numbers are and how lost at the plate he looks. He's just not a major league hitter, in any way. I don't even like him off the bench.

Also, although you said it's proven, I don't agree with the stat that says run prevention has a bigger impact on wins than run production. Especially with how flawed and deceiving defensive metrics are known to be.

Yea my bad I must have missed this thread two nights ago when he started and we won, oh and his strong armed throw completely a double play that got Richards out of a jam late in the game. Or when you created this thread the night before when Featgerston started and we won. And no your ear aids is there for good.

1) I've hated Featherston for a long time now. My diary proves it. 

2) It's cool I'll just rub Purell all over it.