• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

where have you been

Catalina is a great day trip.  You get to the island around 10 am.  Rent a kayak for an hour or so, have lunch at one of the restaurants.  Rent a golf cart for 2 hours and then it is time to get back on the boat and go home.  There isn't much night life on the island so if you aren't there to just relax I wouldn't get a room and stay overnight. 

Mr Wrigley was the original owner of that island.  Cubs held spring training games there back then, and Mr Wrigleys house stood on the mountain overseeing it.  They say he would watch the games with a little telescope from his porch.  

Barber shops and places with old guys still have lots of Cubs stuff posted on the walls.

Its a cool fact for Cubs fans over in Chicago, and Id imagine a neat stop in LA for any diehards.

4 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Mr Wrigley was the original owner of that island.  Cubs held spring training games there back then, and Mr Wrigleys house stood on the mountain overseeing it.  They say he would watch the games with a little telescope from his porch.  

Barber shops and places with old guys still have lots of Cubs stuff posted on the walls.

Its a cool fact for Cubs fans over in Chicago, and Id imagine a neat stop in LA for any diehards.

Man....thst would be cool if you were a cubs fan. Doubt many make that trip, but the nerd in me would if i was one.

When you tell that story of wrigley on his porch, it reminds me of the old man asshole in that crappy movie men of honor, the one that lived in the tower.

4 hours ago, notherhalo said:

According to Huell, Wrigley would phone to the clubhouse, and usually that meant someone would have to walk up the mountain/hill to be given his walking papers. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

The island isn't very active in the winter. Check ahead to see if anything is open. Your best bet is helicopter transport. 

Unless the weather and seas are really, really, bad...like a huge storm...The Catalina Flyer (catamaran) out of Newport goes every day...It skims over the water at something like 30 knots and is as stable as an aircraft carrier. Newport to Avalon in less than an hour.

Avalon is pretty much the same summer or winter, except there are less tourists and  idiots there in the winter. (and you might need to take some jeans and a windbreaker).

(wicked is from SF, it'll feel tropical to him)

I wish I had the time to do a cross country road trip. I would like to take the northern route one way, and a southern route the other way. No hotel reservations, and stay for a few extra days in areas I liked. No time constraints, and have my Amex bill sent to Mr. Wicked.   

I will be knocking Italy off the bucket list next year. Flying into Rome, and out of Milan. Renting a car and trying to hit as much as I can.

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Alright, to refresh the thread. Whats anyones bucket list to go see. If you had the money (in realism, not the moon) and the time off, babysitter, etc, what are the targets you guys daydream about?

New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, Croatia, Vietnam.

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Alright, to refresh the thread. Whats anyones bucket list to go see. If you had the money (in realism, not the moon) and the time off, babysitter, etc, what are the targets you guys daydream about?

i want to see the northern lights.

stay in an ice hotel in sweden.

check out places that are kind of off limits to gringos: north korea, iran, turkey (not so bad here, but very questionable lately)

do a legit safari in africa. 

high on my list: maccu pichu, SE asia, russia, china, devil's pool at victoria falls in rhodesia, jerusalem, egypt, list goes on and on.

pretty much want to go everywhere. traveling is the best way to enlightenment. well that and booze, and T&A.

The Himalayas.

Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, etc. Largest and highest mountain range on the planet. The source of so many great rivers..The Ganges, Yangtze, Mekong and others.

Unfortunately the political situation of the world will prevent me seeing that in this lifetime. Maybe next time around.

golf trip to the british isles.

cross country road trip, which we're talking about doing in some fashion next summer.

rome, athens, cairo/italy, greece, egypt. i'd really like to see king tut's burial mask in person.

i'd also like to do a river cruise, possibly st. lawrence river in montreal and perhaps something along the danube.

On 9/26/2016 at 3:44 PM, notherhalo said:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/2004/04/02/catalina-cubs-californias-gold-6004-2/

14 hours ago, NJHalo said:

I wish I had the time to do a cross country road trip. I would like to take the northern route one way, and a southern route the other way. No hotel reservations, and stay for a few extra days in areas I liked. No time constraints, and have my Amex bill sent to Mr. Wicked.   

I will be knocking Italy off the bucket list next year. Flying into Rome, and out of Milan. Renting a car and trying to hit as much as I can.

Itsly is rad, but id recommend training it out of rome, then renting the car...dont drive in rome. Or near rome.

11 hours ago, OCAngelsNotLAA said:

Diving at the great barrier reef is on my bucket list for sure. Doing a cruise on the Norwegian Fjord is another one for me.   

I was trying to dive the reef this year but didnt happen...worked a ton of OT, was hoping to take a month off and travel the eorld using my miles, stsrting there, but put it off too long and now in screwed.

With you on norway. Resesrched that a bunch

9 hours ago, mrwicked said:

i want to see the northern lights.

stay in an ice hotel in sweden.

check out places that are kind of off limits to gringos: north korea, iran, turkey (not so bad here, but very questionable lately)

do a legit safari in africa. 

high on my list: maccu pichu, SE asia, russia, china, devil's pool at victoria falls in rhodesia, jerusalem, egypt, list goes on and on.

pretty much want to go everywhere. traveling is the best way to enlightenment. well that and booze, and T&A.

We really need to meet up and figure out if we truly are two different people, or split personality like american psycho.

Ive missed the northern lights but have been where i should have seen them. Still an outside shot at the igloo (not ice hotel) this year, depends on the time off for the girl im seeing.

Funny enough just started looking at iran...and instanbul is way up there, but right now dont trust it. Sadly.

Maccu piccu in february, russia in april. Aiming at africa this winter, but i think victoria falls is too far from where im going. A buddy told me its in his top 3 though.

If you ever feel like you gotta get away for a week hit me up. This includes the booze and t&a as well. (Maybe even prior to the other stuff. We can always photoshop ourselves somewhere cool)

9 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

The Himalayas.

Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, etc. Largest and highest mountain range on the planet. The source of so many great rivers..The Ganges, Yangtze, Mekong and others.

Unfortunately the political situation of the world will prevent me seeing that in this lifetime. Maybe next time around.

Ive looked at nepal...would love to...but not sure if i can till i retire. Lot of time off for one event...i can normally just get off a week or so if i find people to swap days with.

Thats possibly "it" though in terms of wow factor.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

golf trip to the british isles.

cross country road trip, which we're talking about doing in some fashion next summer.

rome, athens, cairo/italy, greece, egypt. i'd really like to see king tut's burial mask in person.

i'd also like to do a river cruise, possibly st. lawrence river in montreal and perhaps something along the danube.

Big history fan, tanker? 

I can say that athens was phenom. Very underrated i think. Super affordable, laid back, and the ruins are amazing.

I still dont trust egypt, but people say its fine now. I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned having family who went recently and said not to sweat it.