• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

where have you been

14 hours ago, calscuf said:

It's beautiful, but stupidly expensive.  I've never been to a place more expensive.  And it's not just the hotels.  A 6 pack of beer at the market is like $20.  There was a dude selling cucumbers on the side of the road for $5.  Dinner at a non-hotel restaurant will still set you back $30 per person minimum before drinks/dessert.  I've had like 3 $50 lunches.  And the overwater bungalows start at $750/night and go up and up.  My buddy who stayed at the Four Seasons Bora Bora paid $2500/night, not including airport transfer, breakfast, lunch, dinner or activities.

yeah but it's four seasons man... totally worth it.

I started attending a bladder cancer support group over at USC Norris and I met a guy last night that he and his wife in 2001 bought a 45 foot ketch and went sailing. He was in his late 50's, retired early as an architect and they started their trip down the coast to Mexico and then just kept going. By kept going I mean across the globe, they were almost following Magellan's route. They covered all of Southeast Asia from Korea to Thailand, all of the Islands, hit up Australia and New Zealand, worked across India and then through the Arabian Sea, Red Sea, through the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean, did Greece, Italy, Spain, down South to Liberia and across the Atlantic to Grenada, up to the Virgin Islands to renew their passports, back to Aruba and across the Panama Canal to return through Mexico. The only areas they avoided were the two Capes, just too dangerous for small craft and even large freighters. They saw their fair share of 50 knot winds and 25 foot swells.

While he was in Asia he was diagnosed with Bladder cancer and flew back to the US for treatment at USC Norris. At first it was an injection of tuberculosis cells that destroyed the cancer cells and went into remission since he was in early stage one. This took them off the seas for 3 months. They returned to their cruise only to be interrupted with the same symptoms and same problem, returned to the US and eventually had the same surgery I had and after 6 months flew back to where their boat was harbored and picked up where they left off. 

In total they were on a 15 year vacation and laugh at people that fly in, spend a week, stay in the same bungalows as their neighbors did, do a little diving and call it an adventure by taking pictures of their food. They made it back to California over the summer and had a huge party on their boat with friends and other sailors that had made similar runs but none that went the entire globe. The boat was sold and while they were away they had their house paid for them by renters. Not sure how long these two can stand the confines of land but for now they have more stories than anyone has time to listen two. Hope to catch up to with them next month and maybe they can convince me to get a passport but I am not going sailing with them, I can't take 15 years off from work. 

^badass story blarg.

Ive toyed with the same idea, renting my house out to pay the mortgage and bailing. 

Funny enough i looked into buying a boat and doing the same thing (renting out my house). live on the boat for now, and when i retire hit the sea and see where it takes me.

I have to learn how to drive a boat first.

But so did columbus.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

But i win because ive been around both capes. tell your friends i called them out.

We're you on a 45 foot twin mast ship? If you were you can boast, if you were on a warship commanded by the US Navy, sit down boy, you ain't done nothing but take a luxury cruise. 

Well I went outside my comfort zone in S Africa, whoops

Mauritius is kind of lame.  The nature is spectacular but the nightlife is lacking along with the food. Things are more expensive than you would think for a country that's mostly Indian-Chinese/Muslim.  

The girls are nothing to look at, and expect to pay first world prices in a third world setting. You half to fly literally to the other end of the earth to get here, and the animal they idolize is the dodo bird, whom you don't feel bad for going extinct after running out of things to do 3 days later. 

The water is nice and the surf is OK, but with perhaps the highest shark attack ratio in the world, you might just want to get your toes wet instead. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 12/9/2016 at 6:26 AM, arch stanton said:

The majority of the time we think we're listening to our heart we're actually listening to our dick.

"What are 'things that happened to every male who ever lived during high school and college.' "

On 12/13/2016 at 10:11 AM, Adam said:

the best part of this article was the description below it:

Tim Conway Jr

Tim Conway, Jr. was born and raised in Los Angeles...and survived 10 years in a youth detention center called the Los Angeles Unified School District.He spent his childhood around Santa Anita, Hollywood Park and Del Mar Racetracks with his father, four younger brothers and older sister. His father is yes, the real Tim Conway from the real Carol Burnett Show. Dad guests regularly on the younger Conway's radio program and recently told his son, "Comedy is in your blood...too bad it's not on your show." Conway survived 12 years at 97.1 FM Talk in Los Angeles until it switched to an all-music format. The show was famous for providing Southern California with a wide variety of entertaining topics including live police Chases, Hollywood craziness and current events with a twist of humor. "What The Hell Did Jesse Jackson Say?" was a favorite segment and maintains a substantial cult following to this day (it's the stuff radio legends are made of). He now hosts a nightly show on the No. 1 news/talk radio station in the country, KFI AM 640, More Stimulating Talk Radio. You can catch the show Monday-Friday from 6-10pm. Conway's down-to-earth take on life brings a sense of refreshing levity to those surrounded by lunatics in SoCal. Today, the Conway tradition continues. When he's not on the air, you can find him at the racetrack with his four-year-old daughter. "I got a tear in my eye the first time my daughter was photo'd out of a win." Tim also turned his wife onto horse racing. She's currently banned from two local tracks for verbal attacks on jockeys.

There are also sailing clubs that teach sailing where you can charter yachts after you complete their sailing program. They are quite a bit cheaper than yacht clubs, and less "stuffy".

The kicker is that you can not only charter from them, but you can also charter yachts around the world. A week or two anchoring in your own little coves in the Carib. or the Med, or even in Alaska.. is much more of an adventure than a cabin on a cruise ship.

Here is one that I know personally and can recommend, but there are others.

http://www.aventurasailing.com/

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Anyone been to Scandinavia? We are thinking of doing Lapland, Finland for Christmas. Supposed to be other-worldly insane. High on my bucket list, along with staying in an ice hotel in Sweden. 

james bond stayed in an ice hotel once.

once.