• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

One of the things that expanded healthcare would ensure is access to mental health services. It's not always easy now to find a psychiatrist or counselor in your network who is taking new patients.

Russia's numbers are inflated because Putin suicides a lot of people. 

19 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

No it wouldn’t.  And most small businesses don’t pay minimum wage anyway.  Do you know how much more a burger in Australia or Scandinavia is vs. here ?  Despite paying their workers in some cases triple.  And they have much stricter requirements around the food quality.  Somehow they manage and their burgers don’t cost 50 dollars.  That’s as good an example as any. Why is it that labor is the only place where we can imagine a business can cut costs ?

This probably speaks more to consumer preference than anything. Americans are a lot more price conscious than Europeans. We effectively prefer the dollar menu at McDonalds over In-N-Out. In-N-Out is actually a good example that a business can spend more and do better but I'm sure even they are feeling the hit of the minimum wage increases. I am not a fan of enacting good business practices into law.

18 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

In the Scandinavian example I love so much you’ll probably be surprised to know that Sweden for example does not have a minimum wage.  The difference is that they have strong labor power.  Nearly worker In Sweden is in a union and the Employer must negotiate with the union.  The result is a balance that allows for dignified work and a more harmonious society.  We don’t have any of that shit here.  Because the reactionary fucks control everything.  So the only force we have here to ensure a workers dignity is a government that fails miserably.  And it’s allowed because people refuse to believe that life can be better for anyone in the richest country in the world.  As they say “Americans all millionaires that are temporarily embarrassed”   How fucking bleak. 

If we didn't have minimum wage laws here there would be much stronger unions. 

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This probably speaks more to consumer preference than anything. Americans are a lot more price conscious than Europeans. We effectively prefer the dollar menu at McDonalds over In-N-Out. In-N-Out is actually a good example that a business can spend more and do better but I'm sure even they are feeling the hit of the minimum wage increases. I am not a fan of enacting good business practices into law.

Probably because we have a substantially larger population of working poor.  I respect your idea that this shouldn’t be put into law conceptually.  But I’ll go back to my point that there almost no labor power in this country.  So what do you do ? It seems obvious that most businesses don’t choose the in n out model.  Despite the evidence in their faces. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If we didn't have minimum wage laws here there would be much stronger unions. 

No it’s much more complicated than that.  The main reason our labor forces have been completely decimated is relentless hard right fiscal policy.  The department of labor has for decades acted as union busting government entity.  

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Probably because we have a substantially larger population of working poor.  I respect your idea that this shouldn’t be put into law conceptually.  But I’ll go back to my point that their almost no labor power in this country.  So what do you do ? It seems obvious that most businesses don’t choose the in n out model.  Despite the evidence in their faces. 

You could be right, but it seems to have found its way into just about every industry in America - not just fast food. Flying on a plane is another good example, so we aren't just talking about the poor.

In theory, if a better product is truly 'better' someone will come along and provide that option.

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

The difference is a country that doesn’t have a religious devotion to the imaginary powers of the invisible hand.  And I have no idea what the homogeneous comment is about. Lol what does this even mean ? The US has too many blacks and Hispanics to do fair labor and social welfare? What the fuck haha ? The Swedes aren’t all like minded robots dude.  The bottom line is, that in wealthy west most countries decided to have some kind of consensus on a social safety net.  In the US we did not because you’re right.  We are different.  In a deeply shitty way we have pure contempt for each other.  Toxic individualism I think is the right description.  That’s a deep thing to dig into.  All of the history of how that happened and rolled into the situation we have today is too much for this message board.  There’s probably a million pages written about it from all over the political spectrum.  Anyway the US is particularly unique in that way and that is very sad imo.  But back to the discussion, I don’t believe that the US not ever getting around to that simple and humane concept means that it can never ever get around to it.  We’ll keep arguing about it I guess.  Hopefully someday your mind changes a little.

and sure Sweden has less people.  The US has way more wealth, far more natural resources, far more mass of land to work with.  And I’d say that the larger population is an asset not a hindrance.  

This is an insufferable post

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

No it’s much more complicated than that.  The main reason our labor forces have been completely decimated is relentless hard right fiscal policy.  The department of labor has for decades acted as union busting government entity.  

I'm sure there is truth to that, but the issue is simply that unions have lost their utility in the current economic landscape. 

10 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm sure there is truth to that, but the issue is simply that unions have lost their utility in the current economic landscape. 

Well yes.  Because there is no force that compels capital to work with them.  Also, neoliberals and hard right fiscal conservatives (mostly the same thing) allowed the manufacturing economy to leave.