• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Team OBP

NrM

I want a couple of talented guys that like to be kinda scrappy next year. Scrappy might not be the word, but players that aren't afraid to mix it up a bit. I know we all thought Brett Lawrie was a dick for going after Butcher, but a guy like that. Kind of like Hunter, someone that enjoyed being the center of attention and wouldn't back down from guys. I want a bit of an attitude. I don't want guys that are downright assholes, like Gomez seems like an asshole. Just someone that brings some heat with him. The offensive version of Jered Weaver I guess. Brad Fulmer or Darin Erstad personality. I am rambling, but I think you guys know what I am saying.

OBP has been a problem for a while. The best was probably 2009 when Figgins and Abreu at the top of the order were both over .400. But for a long time they've really had a problem finding/developing guys with good plate discipline. Kendrick and Aybar are great examples and it's a big part of why each of those guys get on my nerves so much. It's also interesting that Pujols has walked so much less since coming here. Part of it is certainly his overall decline and pitchers not being afraid to challenge him as much, but it definitely seems like the managers/coaches here preach an aggressive hitting approach that is somewhat out of step with current MLB.

Remember when Matsui led the 2010 Angels team with a .361 OBP.

Outside of Trout the player that has the highest OBP on the Angels is Kole Calhoun with a .328 OBP.

Matsui was certainly undervalued and didn't get much recognition for his one year as an Angel.

He got a whole land. What more should we have given him?

Remember when Matsui led the 2010 Angels team with a .361 OBP.

Outside of Trout the player that has the highest OBP on the Angels is Kole Calhoun with a .328 OBP.

Matsui was certainly undervalued and didn't get much recognition for his one year as an Angel.

He also led the team in OPS but yet was hated by a handful of people here. Why? No clue as he did exactly what he was brought here to do. Provide solid production from the DH. Not his fault that Kendrys had a season ending injury or that most of his teammates underperformed. There was aslo the whole Kazmir thing too. 

Extreme shifting. Fewer home runs and walks. Consistent scoring in a pitcher friendly park will need to be solved going forward. Guys like Joyce who are dead pull but don't have monster power are relics. Players who will constantly hit into the shift will be stuck in the .320's for OBP. Yes Albert this means you.

I think priority 1 has to be to eliminate dead weight from the lineup. Everybody has to be able to hit for a decent average and field a position.

I want a couple of talented guys that like to be kinda scrappy next year. Scrappy might not be the word, but players that aren't afraid to mix it up a bit. I know we all thought Brett Lawrie was a dick for going after Butcher, but a guy like that. Kind of like Hunter, someone that enjoyed being the center of attention and wouldn't back down from guys. I want a bit of an attitude. I don't want guys that are downright assholes, like Gomez seems like an asshole. Just someone that brings some heat with him. The offensive version of Jered Weaver I guess. Brad Fulmer or Darin Erstad personality. I am rambling, but I think you guys know what I am saying.

Yep, know what you mean.  These types seem to be rare and hard to find these days though.  With the strength of the players union I sometimes think players are pretty loyal to one another beyond the teams they represent.  And players change teams so frequently anymore they seem not to want to tick off anyone who might be a teammate in the future, or who was in the past.  

The last 2-3 years walks and hitting percentages are down across the league, I assume from a widened strike zone, and the emergence of better pitching.  Consequently, OBP has declined on average a pretty good amount.

You can see these trends at the following link:  http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

I should also add that drug testing programs have probably taken some toll on hitters as well.

Edited by tomsred

Nobody mentioned Brandon Wood yet?

He was the poster child for what happens when an org has a weak developmental coaching staff.

More focus and emphasis on plate discipline and pitch recognition in the minors might be in order, ya'll think?

That takes better coaching, which costs money.

Last I heard Arte has lots of it.

100 mil to Hamilton would have paid for 50 or so well paid coaches. 

(IMO, of course.)

Nobody mentioned Brandon Wood yet?

He was the poster child for what happens when an org has a weak developmental coaching staff.

More focus and emphasis on plate discipline and pitch recognition in the minors might be in order, ya'll think?

That takes better coaching, which costs money.

Last I heard Arte has lots of it.

100 mil to Hamilton would have paid for 50 or so well paid coaches. 

(IMO, of course.)

Not a great example, considering he went to other teams and had zero success. 

Are you kidding me?

You really think he was given all the tools and knowledge he needed to thrive (or even survive) in the big leagues?

He spent his formative years in the ANGEL organization. he only left here when all his once considerable promise had completely disappeared.