• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Some advice for the Angels new GM from another GM

As others have noted, the Angels‘ GM opening is a tough sell to prospective candidates because Arte Moreno is more involved than the average owner, and Mike Scioscia has more power than the average manager. One rival general manager described the Angels’ GM role to Rosenthal as such: â€œYou take all of the beatings (from Moreno) and you’ve got no power (due to Scioscia).” Jerry Dipoto resigned from his post this summer due to reported clashes with Scioscia.

As others have noted, the Angels‘ GM opening is a tough sell to prospective candidates because Arte Moreno is more involved than the average owner, and Mike Scioscia has more power than the average manager. One rival general manager described the Angels’ GM role to Rosenthal as such: â€œYou take all of the beatings (from Moreno) and you’ve got no power (due to Scioscia).” Jerry Dipoto resigned from his post this summer due to reported clashes with Scioscia.

When Rosenthal puts a name to that GM then I will buy he isn't just making up a story to get web hits.

It has been noted in the past that Billy Beane's meddling in all affairs relating to the clubhouse and on field managing has made finding candidates to manage the A's a difficult process.

But it's cool because Brad Pitt was so convincing in the role.

What about money Eric?

My paycheck drives what I want from my employer over anything else. If I had a multimillion dollar long term contract I would reformat Romper Room and it would be my favorite show on television.

If I was managing, $5 million a year trumps what schmucks are taking up bench space.

Money. The rest is ego.

We over analyze things here especially Mike Scioscia, but he would be considered the number one manager available if he opted out. Whatever team hired him would be hiring him as a manager. The power he has here wouldn't be a factor anywhere else. His power here is based on tenure. He has a winning percent in the top 50 all time, I believe, and is around .550. He comes with a resume of success, whether or not you like to hear it, it is all fact.

My paycheck drives what I want from my employer over anything else. If I had a multimillion dollar long term contract I would reformat Romper Room and it would be my favorite show on television.

If I was managing, $5 million a year trumps what schmucks are taking up bench space.

Money. The rest is ego.

Ok, he is guaranteed three years and $18 million from the Angels. What do you think he would get from a team if he opted out?

I can't see any situation where Scioscia opts out.  His paycheck is way too hefty for that.

I pray that happens, but it won't. 

Agree. There is no way Scioscia opts out of his contract and there is no way Arte Moreno will stop being an involved owner. Even if the Angels hired a quality GM, he wouldn't have a huge impact. 

So then money isn't the issue.

Who knows if he will opt out, my gut says yes, but obviously I have been wrong before. I am not a Scioscia hater, I am indifferent about him. I defend him when people say stupid things that don't make sense. I am ready for a change, if for no other reason, to enjoy my time on AngelsWin more. This place always has to have a vililan or a goat, I am ready for a new narrative.

Agree. There is no way Scioscia opts out of his contract and there is no way Arte Moreno will stop being an involved owner. Even if the Angels hired a quality GM, he wouldn't have a huge impact. 

We have yet to see that experiment to say the quality GM wouldn't have a huge impact.

So then money isn't the issue.

Who knows if he will opt out, my gut says yes, but obviously I have been wrong before. I am not a Scioscia hater, I am indifferent about him. I defend him when people say stupid things that don't make sense. I am ready for a change, if for no other reason, to enjoy my time on AngelsWin more. This place always has to have a vililan or a goat, I am ready for a new narrative.

Sounds like your mental health level is right at Dipoto's before he had to step down.

We over analyze things here especially Mike Scioscia, but he would be considered the number one manager available if he opted out. Whatever team hired him would be hiring him as a manager. The power he has here wouldn't be a factor anywhere else. His power here is based on tenure. He has a winning percent in the top 50 all time, I believe, and is around .550. He comes with a resume of success, whether or not you like to hear it, it is all fact.

Regular season success. The guy is John McCloskey in the post-season after 2002. 

Edited by robblin17

Number one manager according to who?