• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Beating a dead horse

Randal Grichuk doesn't walk at all. I don't think he'll sustain his current production. 

His power potential and ability to play plus defense at all three OF spots makes it so it's less of an issue despite it being a legit concern.    He's still only 23 and just beginning to tap into his power.

I did not like the Freese trade at the time because of the inclusion of Grichuk. I felt then, and still feel now, it was a huge overpay. Probably Dipoto's worst trade.

That being said, I remember how angry we all were about losing Segura. That anger really peaked when he had that six hit game sometime in late May of 2013. It looked like we had lost a superstar. But since that game, Segura has barely looked like a major leaguer. So I'll withhold judgement until Grichuk gets a few hundred at bats under his belt.

I'm gonna give Segura a pass.  The dude lost a kid.  

I have a really hard time believing that Grichuk's approach is going to be sustainable long term unless he can learn to swing less.  That said, he could certainly progress in that area to some degree and have a long career.  

He could be kind of like a poor man's Torii Hunter.  Torii was very similar early in his career with good power and a low obp.  Grichuk doesn't play defense to the level that Torii did, but he's still very good and also has some solid speed.  

Bourjos was a backup OFer who was never going to play the position that gave him his value.  It's pretty clear that he's not a very good hitter.  

Salas blows.  He had a solid year last year, but he's back to what I expect this year giving up a run every other outing.  

Freese has done a decent job for the halos.  He's pretty much the definition of an average 3bman.  We didn't have that or anything close at the time.  

Yes, it could be a horrible trade, but it's not right at this moment.  Randall still has a ways to go before to prove he can sustain anything close to what he's doing now.  He'll probably make it lopsided in the cards favor, but it's not overly so as of yet.  

It's almost like St Luis had some secret information about Grichuk. Something that only the Angels would have known about him. Like an a computer file or something.

that's actually an interesting thought btw.  Not that the cards hacked the halos, but what if Houston had been scouting Grichuk heavily for whatever reason or what if the algorithm that Houston was using to evaluate players unveiled something that Stl wouldn't have seen in Grichuk otherwise.  It' a long shot, but I wonder if the halos could get any recourse.   :)

It's almost like St Luis had some secret information about Grichuk. Something that only the Angels would have known about him. Like an a computer file or something.

Not sure what was so secret, I was posting numbers left and right in the minor league forum that all pretty much led to the same conclusion -- he was a player on the cusp.... the indicators were there for everyone to see ..  but I'd sooner argue the Angels made that move because they didn't like what they saw in Cowart .vs anything they didn't see in Grichuk

For me a better criticism of the Angels is what they thought they saw in Freese that was worth completely obliterating their OF depth for.

I did not like the Freese trade at the time because of the inclusion of Grichuk. I felt then, and still feel now, it was a huge overpay. Probably Dipoto's worst trade.

That being said, I remember how angry we all were about losing Segura. That anger really peaked when he had that six hit game sometime in late May of 2013. It looked like we had lost a superstar. But since that game, Segura has barely looked like a major leaguer. So I'll withhold judgement until Grichuk gets a few hundred at bats under his belt.

The Segura trade didn't bother me one bit.   I actually thought that until the Trumbo trade it had been Jerry's best move as GM.   Grienke for Segura and two non prospects was IMO a steal.   I'd feel the same way even if Segura had kept playing well..    A legit Cy Young caliber arm for a single prospect was about as a good a job of maximizing value as a GM could make IMO.

Grichuk has a 3.2% BB% to go along with a 29.8% K%. That's pretty bad and doesn't point to a hitter who will hit for a decent average or have a good OBP%. His BABIP of .377 has helped him maintain a good average in his limited AB's. With everyday AB's, I'd expect him to be more of a low BA, poor OBP% type hitter, similar to Trumbo. Thing is though, that still has some value especially since he's shown to be good defensively in the OF. Didn't like that he was part of the Freese deal at all