• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2015-16 Anaheim Ducks Thread

HaloCory22

@mrwickedProblem with those contract terms is it will put the Ducks at their budget amount, and still have a lot of holes to fill.  We are right now $17 million under cap.  But the Ducks never get close to the cap, so they have more like $7-10 million to play with. 

I think the biggest help for this team will be when one of the RFA's get traded, since they are all high skilled, that Depres get bundled with him.  Goalie + Depres is probably the most likely bundle situation.  Since it seems like a lot of teams will be interested in one of our goalies.  That would free $3.7 million from our cap hit. 

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

@mrwickedProblem with those contract terms is it will put the Ducks at their budget amount, and still have a lot of holes to fill.  We are right now $17 million under cap.  But the Ducks never get close to the cap, so they have more like $7-10 million to play with. 

I think the biggest help for this team will be when one of the RFA's get traded, since they are all high skilled, that Depres get bundled with him.  Goalie + Depres is probably the most likely bundle situation.  Since it seems like a lot of teams will be interested in one of our goalies.  That would free $3.7 million from our cap hit. 

I agree. Calgary might be willing to take Despres, if it gets them Andersen. No problem trading with them as the Ducks will still own Calgary but Calgary getting better is bad news for LA & SJ.

The Ducks don't have the brand to do that, Wicked. If we sold out every game and had higher ratings/sponsorship etc. we probably could. Henry and Susan are losing money every year keeping this team going. A deep Cup run would make that back up. You can argue that investing more on the ice would result in better performance and more success on the ice and financially, but maybe they're just not sold on this group being able to provide that?

8 hours ago, mrwicked said:

i wish the owners would go to the cap just for a couple years.

that cap delta is like adding a top level talent. easy to see why kings and hawks are good year in and year out when they get an extra hossa or doughty type player. 

I don't mind it because it's made the team focus on drafting & scouting better & making good trades.

On 5/25/2016 at 2:38 PM, HaloCory22 said:

The Ducks don't have the brand to do that, Wicked. If we sold out every game and had higher ratings/sponsorship etc. we probably could. Henry and Susan are losing money every year keeping this team going. A deep Cup run would make that back up. You can argue that investing more on the ice would result in better performance and more success on the ice and financially, but maybe they're just not sold on this group being able to provide that?

I'm under the impression they're billionaires. If so, as a percentage, I take a bigger financial hit than they do, going to games each year. I could run my life as a business too, and say it wasn't financially feasible to attend games. But I go for entertainment. Just like they own a team for entertainment. The big difference is my position as a SSH doesn't doesn't appreciate in value like their franchise does. 

Yes, he was. He was the captain for the World Championships. Not overly surprised that he didn't make it; Canada is stacked and he isn't as skilled as Getzlaf. 

I'm really nervous about Perry. His skating took a nosedive this year. He looked slower than slow, and we all saw what happened to Heatley at the end of his career. 

On 5/21/2016 at 1:49 AM, UndertheHalo said:

im sure he's a great guy off the ice.  But he's a hilarious troll on the ice.  We love him for it, everyone else hates him for it. 

Seems to be the same thing with Dustin Brown, nice guy off the ice but on the ice he's hated by fans of most teams.

Take this with a grain of salt.  It's @nate favorite.  A team blog. 

https://sabrenoise.com/2016/06/02/buffalo-sabres-draft-options-trading-the-8th-pick-to-the-anaheim-ducks/

But if you think about this logically.  If Buffalo is indeed dangling the 8th pick in the draft, and if they can just add something else.....

The Ducks are in a predicament.  You want to keep Fowler, Vatannen and Lindholm.  But 2 are RFA's this offseason.  And you got the expansion draft coming.  While I'm not sure when the cutoff for it is.  They are supposed to start 2017-2018.  So my guess would be the expansion draft starts after the 2016-2017 season ends.  Here is the predicament.  Bieska goes from a no trade clause to a no movement clause in the 2016-2017 season.  According to the latest of the expansion draft rules.  No movement clauses have to be on the protected list of teams.  And teams only get to protect 3 dmen.  (players with less than 2 years pro are exempt, so that should take out Theodore automatically).  So that means we will lose one of Fowler, Vatannen, or Lindholm.  Fowler is also owed $4 million for the next 2 years, then is a UFA.

Not entirely right about the expansion draft, GB. You can choose to spare 3 D, 7 FW, 1 G or 8 skaters overall and 1 G. I'd rather get NHL ready talent if we were to make a trade. I think its a no brainer that Fowler gets traded this offseason. Shed his $4 and use that for the RFAs (Hampus/Ricky primarily) Maybe Vats but I can see him getting traded as well.

• Teams will have two options in who they protect: either they safeguard seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie; or they protect eight skaters (whether they're defensemen or forwards) and one goalie.

• First- and second-year pros -- including those playing pro hockey at any level -- will be exempt from the expansion draft. But if they're entering their third year of pro hockey, they're no longer exempt. Teams would have to either protect them or expose them.

• Unsigned draft picks (think college or European players) are exempt from the expansion draft for two years from their draft year but not in Year 3, so teams will have to either rush to sign those guys or simply expose them in the expansion draft.

• The total salaries for the players made available by each team in the expansion draft must be at least 25 percent of the previous season's payroll for that team. Daly explained: "The other variation that makes this expansion draft different is we would contemplate having some thresholds based on salary to make sure that the expansion club can be competitive based on the ranges we have in the CBA. Teams would have some obligation to expose a level of salary. And in terms of drafting players, teams would have to draft a certain threshold of salary."

Ducks would be worse off protecting 8 skaters, instead of 3 dmen and 7 forwards.  You have Perry, Kessler, Getzlaf, and Bieska all automatically protected.  If you add the other 3 dmen, that adds up to 7 players.  You would only get to protect one other player out of Silfverberg, Cogs, and Rakell.  

That's why that method for me would be a non starter.

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Ducks would be worse off protecting 8 skaters, instead of 3 dmen and 7 forwards.  You have Perry, Kessler, Getzlaf, and Bieska all automatically protected.  If you add the other 3 dmen, that adds up to 7 players.  You would only get to protect one other player out of Silfverberg, Cogs, and Rakell.  

That's why that method for me would be a non starter.

i think everyone is in agreement that they won't protect bieksa and risk exposing one of they young talents.

if they can't trade him, they'll buy him out.

3 hours ago, mrwicked said:

i think everyone is in agreement that they won't protect bieksa and risk exposing one of they young talents.

if they can't trade him, they'll buy him out.

I wonder if there will be a NHL record of league wide buyouts happening before the expansion draft.

Every team probally has a guy like Bieksa they can buy out to save one of their young talents, players union will be happy lol.

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

@mrwicked yeah, very possible we buy him out.  I forgot what the formula is. I think 50% against that years cap then a % for a number of years or something like that.

yeah i think it's like 2/3s the total contract amount paid out over double the duration.

BUT, it depends on their age. since he will be 35 as june 30 of next year, you get no cap savings.  

so he would still be a $4m cap hit. BUT.... no need for protection at the expansion draft. ouch.

he's not terrible though, he was great in second half of season. but it's just painful if we have to protect him. 

The real hitch with the expansion draft is what teams have to do with no movement clauses (NMCs). There are rumors that players with NMCs are exempt, while others have stated that NMC players will have to be protected as well. 

The Ducks will be in trouble if those players aren't exempt; particularly with that awful, AWFUL deal that kicks in for Bieksa next year. Even a buyout for casual Kev sucks for a budget team like the Ducks. We will see, but Stieksa and even Despres to a lesser extent are worrisome obligations in the future.