• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sherman Johnson

Chuck

I'd really love to see the Angels move this guy out of Arkansas where he can thrive in the PCL and ultimately expedite his promotion to the big leagues. 

This kid would be a great option in LF and leading off IMO, with the occasional start at 2B. 

.374 OBP, 46 walks vs. 42 K's, 11 SB and like Kole Calhoun, he's got some pop in his bat to hit double-digit HR's. 

He's leading AA in runs scored from the leadoff spot as well. 

Sherm_zpsdl4eunk9.png

Oh and for tdawg & Adam, he's black. :)

He's hitting .240 in AA, not like he's tearing up the competition even if he's been hot lately.  A guy like him would get challenged in the zone at the major league level until he proves otherwise, and if he can't make you pay with the bat often enough to matter he definitely isn't going to be walking as much.  And he's started 6 games in LF since 2013, and not once this year.

I know we're all desperate for a LF option, but Johnson isn't going to be the answer.

Edited by Reveille1984

He's hitting .240 in AA, not like he's tearing up the competition.  A guy like him would get challenged in the zone at the major league level until he proves otherwise, and if he can't make you pay with the bat often enough to matter he definitely isn't going to be walking as much.  And he's started 6 games in LF since 2013, and not once this year.

I know we're all desperate for a LF option, but Johnson isn't going to be the answer.

Exactly. Need some context behind that low BA

What kind of .241 is he hitting? Off to a terrible start? 

The career worst BABIP kind.  To be honest the .241 isn't really abnormal, he's never hit for high averages (.266 career average), he's been an OBP guy.  He is basically the anit-Kendrick.  Johnson is the kind of guy the A's would call up and everyone else would then ask how they keep making players out of crap.

Johnson can play 2B, 3B, LF -- I've read he can hold his own at SS too.    

Edited by Inside Pitch

Inside Pitch is on deck to explain this. He's done it before. 

I don't think people really put too much faith in the numbers I've posted in the past.  But to put it into flat baseball terms, he gets on base, he has pop, he doesnt hurt you defensively.  He's the sort of player people would identify as being Moneyball.

If I had to pick between Sherm and Ben Revere, it's not even a choice.  Sherm all the way.

I don't think people really put too much faith in the numbers I've posted in the past.  But to put it into flat baseball terms, he gets on base, he has pop, he doesnt hurt you defensively.  He's the sort of player people would identify as being Moneyball.

If I had to pick between Sherm and Ben Revere, it's not even a choice.  Sherm all the way.

Same here, IP. 

Revere has more raw speed and perhaps a better contact rate, but that's it. 

No power, no on-base skills. 

I have a difficult time understanding the Sherman

Love here. Do I have him in my Top 30 entering next year? Yes, or likely at least. Am I under the impression he's the defensive or offensive presence he's being made out to be? Nope, not in the least.

He gets on base, that's about it. He has average pop for a middle infielder, but people are pretending like he's be an option at 3B and LF, where his thump grades out considerably below average. He can run a little, but he isn't so fast that you'd call him a runner. He's Kendrick type of fast. He's decent defensively at 3 different positions.

I see Sherman Johnson as a utility infielder of the Featherston sort, that bounces between AAA and the majors for a few years before latching on as a full time backup. And people want him in LF?

He isn't even the best option for LF from our AA team. Hinshaw is better is almost every facet of the game and if he's healthy (he's not yet), then he's the one you promote.

I have a difficult time understanding the Sherman

Love here. Do I have him in my Top 30 entering next year? Yes, or likely at least. Am I under the impression he's the defensive or offensive presence he's being made out to be? Nope, not in the least.

He gets on base, that's about it. He has average pop for a middle infielder, but people are pretending like he's be an option at 3B and LF, where his thump grades out considerably below average. He can run a little, but he isn't so fast that you'd call him a runner. He's Kendrick type of fast. He's decent defensively at 3 different positions.

I see Sherman Johnson as a utility infielder of the Featherston sort, that bounces between AAA and the majors for a few years before latching on as a full time backup. And people want him in LF?

He isn't even the best option for LF from our AA team. Hinshaw is better is almost every facet of the game and if he's healthy (he's not yet), then he's the one you promote.

Totally disagree, Scotty. But we've disagreed on Calhoun too, who I see Johnson as a good comparison.

He's a good fit in LF and 2B, Scotty. I've been told by personally that he loves him and even Baylor alluded to him at our Fanfest at being a tremendous contributor at the big league level someday. The club is high on him.

If you've left him off your prospect list, that's your bad. He's a guy IMO that's the closest to the big leagues based on his skill set now that Kubitza is with the big league club. 

And getting on base is a very very good thing.  

Just to point out how good he is at getting on base consider this...   Johnson currently has walked 46 times..  its June.  Grant Green who you have you pimped as a good offensive player has never walked as many as 40 times in any minor league season, ever.   Being able to actually play three positions as opposed to being Roberto Duran is also a good thing.  Is Sherman Johnson a premium offensive player?  Nope.   Is he a player being undervalued by people -- yep.

For a team desperately searching for OBP and potentially a lead off hitter, Sherman Johnson seems like a pretty decent piece to have.  Whether or not he's ready or if his walk rate will translate remains to be seen.

Oh yeah..  AL LFers 2015 --  .247/.312/.387.  Don't look now but "thump" in LF is way way down these days.

Totally disagree, Scotty. But we've disagreed on Calhoun too, who I see Johnson as a good comparison.

Johnson Minor league totals .266/.384/.415/.799

Calhoun minor league totals .320/.403/.545/.948

I just don't see the comparison.

He's a good fit in LF and 2B, Scotty. I've been told by personally that he loves him and even Baylor alluded to him at our Fanfest at being a tremendous contributor at the big league level someday. The club is high on him.

If you've left him off your prospect list, that's your bad. He's a guy IMO that's the closest to the big leagues based on his skill set now that Kubitza is with the big league club. 

I was featured in FanGraphs for being the only one to produce a scouting report predicting Calhoun to be a very good quality major leaguer, so I think we agreed on him, unless I'm mistaken.  

As for Johnson himself, he's a QUALITY guy.  Everything I've heard about him has been overwhelmingly positive off the field.  That counts for something, in the same way it did for Luis Jimenez, whom the Angels lost for nothing.  As prospects, I would've even ranked Lucho and Johnson pretty similarly.  Jimenez hits for better power, better average and plays a better 3B than Johnson.  Sherman gets on base more frequently and is a better runner. 

To me, it's entirely dependent upon context.  If we are talking about Sherman Johnson being our future 2B or UTIF, then I'm with you.  I LOVE how he profiles there.  If that were the plan within the organization, I'd even be so bold as to consider him one of our Top 15 prospects.  But if we're talking about Sherman Johnson as our 3B or LF, sorry, but no.  He just doesn't profile there in my mind.