• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sherman Johnson

Chuck

Oh yeah..  AL LFers 2015 --  .247/.312/.387.  Don't look now but "thump" in LF is way way down these days.

And you believe Sherman Johnson will hit .250 in the majors right now when he's hitting only .241 in AA?  I've watched him a few times this year in AA and like him....for a 2B.  For a 3B or LF?  Nope, and I just don't think there's much you could say that would sway me in the other direction. 

I'd take Revere over Johnson if the price is right.  The reason being, Revere has done it in the major leagues, he's better defensively, faster and hits for a much higher average than Johnson.  The only thing Johnson has on Revere is OBP.

OBP is a HUGE asset to have.  But in my mind, it's essentially the only reason Johnson is remotely relevant right now.  There's more to the game, and while he's fair at those other aspects, he isn't so good at them in the way Calhoun was that I can see him being predominately featured in the same OF with Trout and Calhoun. 

You can't go by stats alone, knucklehead. 

If you are comparing players and saying they are alike then they should be alike. Just because Jerry and Don pointed at him and said nice things at the fanfest doesn't mean he is close to the majors. It took Calhoun two years to go from being lauded at a dinner and getting a roster spot.

I was featured in FanGraphs for being the only one to produce a scouting report predicting Calhoun to be a very good quality major leaguer, so I think we agreed on him, unless I'm mistaken.  

As for Johnson himself, he's a QUALITY guy.  Everything I've heard about him has been overwhelmingly positive off the field.  That counts for something, in the same way it did for Luis Jimenez, whom the Angels lost for nothing.  As prospects, I would've even ranked Lucho and Johnson pretty similarly.  Jimenez hits for better power, better average and plays a better 3B than Johnson.  Sherman gets on base more frequently and is a better runner. 

To me, it's entirely dependent upon context.  If we are talking about Sherman Johnson being our future 2B or UTIF, then I'm with you.  I LOVE how he profiles there.  If that were the plan within the organization, I'd even be so bold as to consider him one of our Top 15 prospects.  But if we're talking about Sherman Johnson as our 3B or LF, sorry, but no.  He just doesn't profile there in my mind. 

Luis Jimenez hasn't really done anything at the major league level. He has all of 3 walks in 168 PA with zero home runs and a slash line of .217/.253/.268/.521. He is pretty much irrelevant and the Angels lost nothing when they got nothing for him. I hope that Johnson does not compare with him in any way.

And you believe Sherman Johnson will hit .250 in the majors right now when he's hitting only .241 in AA?  I've watched him a few times this year in AA and like him....for a 2B.  For a 3B or LF?  Nope, and I just don't think there's much you could say that would sway me in the other direction. 

I'd take Revere over Johnson if the price is right.  The reason being, Revere has done it in the major leagues, he's better defensively, faster and hits for a much higher average than Johnson.  The only thing Johnson has on Revere is OBP.

OBP is a HUGE asset to have.  But in my mind, it's essentially the only reason Johnson is remotely relevant right now.  There's more to the game, and while he's fair at those other aspects, he isn't so good at them in the way Calhoun was that I can see him being predominately featured in the same OF with Trout and Calhoun. 

Why do you think anyone is trying to sway you on anything?   Again, I don't think he's an elite offensive prospect, I think he has a particular skill that is particularly valuable to the team as it's currently constructed.

I wouldn't bother trying to predict his batting average, but FTR, I've already pretty much hinted that people shouldn't expect Johnson to hit for average -- so while you're trying to dismiss him there, my response is that I really don't care so long as he's getting on base and showing gap power.  Again I'm focusing on a specific aspect of the game that would actually fill a need... and to that end.  Congrats!!!!  you seem to realize that his calling card is his ability to get on base.  This team needs a lead off hitter or at the very least they need more hitters that can extend innings and turn the lineup over.   Sherm Johnson might be able to help there..... something Ben Revere has proven he's not very good at.

While we are at it -- do you realize how hard it is to take you seriously when you attempt to dismiss Johnson because he lacks "thump", then talk up Ben Revere?  Where in the name of "thump" does a career ISO of .052 fall?  We are talking about a "proven" major leaguer with speed who's career high in 2Bs is 13.   And why do you keep saying Ben Revere is good defensively?  Are you under the misguided impression that if you say it enough it might become true?  Rag arm, bad jumps and iffy reads, if he wasn't fast he would be a disaster defensively.

As I said previously -- I don't know that Johnson is ready, or that his skills will translate, but it's worth taking a look.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Is Figgins a good comp for Johnson?

I've heard that Revere is more about spectacular plays, but misreads balls hit to the OF.

Interesting question.   Johnson has walked more, hit for more power but doesn't have anywhere near the same speed as Figgings.   Chone Figgins hit .260 overall at his High A stops and .234 overall in his AA stops.  As a whole he ended up beating his minor league batting averages at the MLB by a very slim margin.

Neither guy was known for his batting average as minor leaguers.  Truth is neither guy was known much at all while in the minors.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Why do you think anyone is trying to sway you on anything?   Again, I don't think he's an elite offensive prospect, I think he has a particular skill that is particularly valuable to the team as it's currently constructed.

I wouldn't bother trying to predict his batting average, but FTR, I've already pretty much hinted that people shouldn't expect Johnson to hit for average -- so while you're trying to dismiss him there, my response is that I really don't care so long as he's getting on base and showing gap power.  Again I'm focusing on a specific aspect of the game that would actually fill a need... and to that end.  Congrats!!!!  you seem to realize that his calling card is his ability to get on base.  This team needs a lead off hitter or at the very least they need more hitters that can extend innings and turn the lineup over.   Sherm Johnson might be able to help there..... something Ben Revere has proven he's not very good at.

While we are at it -- do you realize how hard it is to take you seriously when you attempt to dismiss Johnson because he lacks "thump", then talk up Ben Revere?  Where in the name of "thump" does a career ISO of .052 fall?  We are talking about a "proven" major leaguer with speed who's career high in 2Bs is 13.   And why do you keep saying Ben Revere is good defensively?  Are you under the misguided impression that if you say it enough it might become true?  Rag arm, bad jumps and iffy reads, if he wasn't fast he would be a disaster defensively.

As I said previously -- I don't know that Johnson is ready, or that his skills will translate, but it's worth taking a look.

Nice straw-man fallacy.  Where did I indicate Revere has "thump"?  

At some point in this debate I sincerely hope you realize you're advocating for a 24 year old utility infielder without any "plus" tools other than the ability to recognize a strike from a ball, that's hitting .240 in AA to come up to the majors, take over LF and save the offense from certain doom.  Can we just fast-forward to that part when you do? 

Nice straw-man fallacy.  Where did I indicate Revere has "thump"?  

At some point in this debate I sincerely hope you realize you're advocating for a 24 year old utility infielder without any "plus" tools other than the ability to recognize a strike from a ball, that's hitting .240 in AA to come up to the majors, take over LF and save the offense from certain doom.  Can we just fast-forward to that part when you do? 

As usual, you're talking out both sides of your mouth.

What part of saying it's hypocritical to talk down Johnson as a potential option in LF because of a lack of "thump" then turn around and argue Ben Revere would be a better option is a straw man?  I guess I could have made it more clear but I thought the hypocrisy was pretty evident to anyone with a functioning brain stem.  Meanwhile, you are yapping about Johnson saving the offense from certain doom..  LOL..   Talk about straw men...    I'll say it again, maybe this time it will sink in.  I don't think Johnson is an elite prospect, never have I argued he would save anyone from certain doom (In fact I've said I don't even know if he's even ready), but I do believe the one thing he does well could be useful..  best of all, he's already under club control.

And I'll fast forward to wherever you want as soon as you stop referring to Ben Revere as a good defensive player... 

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm not seeing the Calhoun thing personally.  Calhoun pretty much wrecked minor league pitching and is an OFer thru and thru.  

Sherm is a util type who's biggest asset is the BB and some decent pop for a middle infielder.  He hasn't shown to be all that good of a hitter.  

I think bringing him up right now isn't a good idea.  A recent hot streak got his avg up to .240.  Until his last 7 games it was around .220.  

Don't get me wrong, I like him battling for the 2b job next year and I'd be ok with him getting some reps at 3b at some point.  But not at 3b or LF right now.  

We need to make a trade.  There is no way around it.