• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on 42

Going to go see it. Looking forward to it.

Meet the Press had interviews with Ken Burns and Rachel Robinson on today -- great stuff.

Ken Burns made the point, which I think is very apt and have thought so for some time -- Jackie Robinson does not get enough credit as truly being one of the greatest civil rights leaders of all time -- in a way that transcends baseball and sports........baseball was the medium but the impact was far broader than that.

Today's LA Times had some very good articles -- one was about Magic Johnson's role in making sure tomorrow night's festivities at Dodger Stadium are first class all the way.  Bud Selig, always trying to do the right thing but lacking judgment at times, appointed some sort of an MLB Ambassador's Committee to help nurture Jackie Robinson's legacy in today's MLB -- and he appointed some good people to the committee -- but one guy he didn't appoint who is as good as an Ambassador for almost anything and should be a no-brainer for the commish's effort -- MAGIC JOHNSON.

I'm really looking forward to how the film portrays the scene in Cincinnati when the fans there were really being nasty to Jackie Robinson during his first road games there and Dodger shortstop Pee Wee Reese (a Kentucky native) goes over and puts his arm around Robinson to help shut up the crowd.......a truly great moment in sports history.

Saw it Saturday,It was a good movie. Harrison Ford was great. In 42 and the movie The Help which I saw with my wife then burned my man card, these movies are terrible reminders of such bad times and racism that its hard to believe people can be so mean.  I'll stick to profanity, violence and partial nudity in my movies.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Took my 10 year old daughter and my 79 year old dad and what a great conversation after. Do not watch Studio 42 w/ Bob Costas until after the movie, it brings more to it just hearing the comments of the actors and Don Newcombe.

Do they mention Moses Fleetwood Walker in the movie?

"Walker has traditionally been credited as the first African-American major league player. However, research in the early 21st century by the Society for American Baseball Research indicates William Edward White, who played one game for the Providence Grays in 1879, may have been the first.[13]"  

^ Associated Press (30 January 2004). "Was William Edward White Really First?". ESPN.com. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Fleetwood_Walker   

I rarely go to movies.  It has been 3 years now.  On Friday, I took my wife, my son and my 15 year old grandson to see it.  Thoroughly enjoyable flick. 

I teased my grandson about not going to see it because I know how it ends.  The black guy plays baseball.

Glad we went.

On Saturday morning, Ralph Branca was on XM radio.  He said the movie is pretty spot on.  He says just a few inconsistencies.  There was a left handed pitcher portrayed as a righty and vice versa.    The comment about we can all wear 42 was attributed to Pee Wee Reese, but actually it was said by a bench player.

The scene about the shower was not quite spoken that way.  Ralph said he told him "Let's go shower with the team".  It was funnier in the movie.  Got a good laugh from the audience.

and this is a bad thing?

Who said anything about bad? If you saw the movie you would understand the pun; Harrison Fords character talks about being sympathetic. ... how being sympathetic towords African Americans at that time was needed to break the prejudices. ..  its a good thing that my kids understand just bad that they know the n word...

Who said anything about bad? If you saw the movie you would understand the pun; Harrison Fords character talks about being sympathetic. ... how being sympathetic towords African Americans at that time was needed to break the prejudices. ..  its a good thing that my kids understand just bad that they know the n word...

must have been your use of the term "unfortunately"