• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have acquired OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis from the Mets for cash

Exactly, so when are we going to start drafting hitters again?

The org pitching depth has been totally rebuilt.

sometimes i think nobody in the org knows how to hit. but that ain't right.

although, we used to call skyed tee shots "don baylors" on the golf course when he was an active player!

albert should retire and replace baylor.

Edited by shellback

The problem I have with this is that it doesn't address in any way any of the problems the team has, and for whatever reason Scioscia and Dipoto love getting somebody from another team's scrap pile and treating them like a major acquisition. This guy doesn't bring anything at all to the team that it doesn't already have with Green, and yet he'll probably get a week or two worth of starts to prove how bad he is. We've seen this bizarre infatuation many times with this team.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing we're gonna see this guy in the lineup if not tonight then tomorrow and way too much after that.

So Scioscia and Dipoto are like the fans on here that think other teams struggling players would play well here, and will turn it around, but our struggling players won't turn it around?

Exactly, so when are we going to start drafting hitters again?

The org pitching depth has been totally rebuilt.

We went pitching heavy for what, two or three years in a row? Is that really the end of the world? I wouldn't be suprised to see us do another Kubitzka type of trade where it is minor leaguer with big upside for minor leaguer with upside.

The problem I have with this is that it doesn't address in any way any of the problems the team has, and for whatever reason Scioscia and Dipoto love getting somebody from another team's scrap pile and treating them like a major acquisition.  This guy doesn't bring anything at all to the team that it doesn't already have with Green, and yet he'll probably get a week or two worth of starts to prove how bad he is.  We've seen this bizarre infatuation many times with this team.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing we're gonna see this guy in the lineup if not tonight then tomorrow and way too much after that.  

Are they treating him like a major acquisition?

I think just the fact that only cash was sent to the Mets points to the opposite.

AJ, why are you surprised? Dipoto isn't allowed to make small trades because it didn't solve our issues. I would love to hear from someone on here a realistic trade that solves the Angels problems. In addition to that, I would like to hear how this trade of cash for this guy interferes with that. I haven't followed baseball outside of the Angels nearly as much as I used to for the last couple of years, so it is difficult for me to come up with a scenario where we fix the team without having to give up Newcombe or Heaney. I wouldn't mind getting a DH, someone like Alvarez (from Pitt), because I think he is basically the left handed version of Trumbo, but I have zero idea what he would cost us. At this point you have to decide, give up too much talent to get a younger stud, or give up too much money for a player past his prime, ala Ryan Howard. If it were up to me, I would rather pay more money and roll the dice, over give up too much talent during the season. If that means we don't have a great season, that sucks, but it is better than gutting a system for average players that aren't impactful. It is truly remarkable how quickly it became a league where the offense is coveted over pitching. Thank you steroids.

I like this idea. Alvarez would make a nice platoon player, his numbers against righties are damn good. I don't know how the Pirates are doing this season or if they're willing to give up Alvarez, but I'd love for JD to look into acquiring him.

Edited by SoWhat

Guys, this guy probably cost the Angels $1 and a minor league reliever who had allowed 18 hits in 8 innings. (Chad Smith, who may actually just accept an outright and stay anyway.)

He's basically a faster, most defensively versatile version of Marc Krauss and Efren Navarro. He can play CF. The other guys can't. That's all. All three have hit well in the minors. None have hit in the majors.

It doesn't really affect Green at all. Green wasn't going to play vs. RHPs before this deal, and he's not going to play vs. RHPs after it (Except maybe at 2B if Giavotella continues to struggle.)

It also has zero impact on their search for an actual answer.

Basically, they feel they got a little bit better at no (real) cost at all. That's all.

I like this idea. Alvarez would make a nice platoon player, his numbers against righties are damn good. I don't know how the Pirates are doing this season or if they're willing to give up Alvarez, but I'd love for JD to look into acquiring him.

I think he'd be a good acquisition, problem is, I'm not sure that the Pirates would trade him now that he is starting at first. Their backup wears sunglasses at night.

If they WERE to trade him, I'm guessing we'd have to deal from our pitching depth. Their fifth starter is Charlie Morton.