• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have acquired OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis from the Mets for cash

Angels acquire LHH Nieuwenhuis from Mets â€¦

by Alden Gonzalez

The Angels, desperate for offense from the left side of the batter’s box, acquired left-handed-hitting outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis from the Mets for cash considerations on Wednesday morning.

Nieuwenhuis, 27, is out of options and is expected to join the Angels for Thursday’s series opener against the Tigers. At that point, the Angels will announce a corresponding move for their 25-man roster. To make room for Nieuwenhuis on their 40-man roster, right-handed reliever Chad Smith â€“ acquired from the A’s on May 8 – was designated for assignment.

Nieuwenhuis played in 226 games with the Mets the last four years, posting a .230/.302/.374 slash line with 13 homers, 60 RBIs and 12 stolen bases. In 2015, he went 3-for-38 in the Majors and batted .265/.319/.512 in Triple-A, adding 11 homers and 32 RBIs in 57 games. The Mets DFA’d Nieuwenhuis last week.

A native of Santa Monica, Calif., Nieuwenhuis has most of his experience in center field but can also play both outfield corners. For the Angels, he represents a low-risk addition who provides another option against right-handed pitching. Nieuwenhuis’ addition likely means left-handed power hitter Marc Krauss will be optioned back to Triple-A, creating more depth organizationally.

The Angels were shutout for the fourth time this season on Tuesday – one more than they had all of 2014 – and are tied for the lowest OPS in the Majors against right-handed pitching.

The Angels are expected to continue to look for options to bolster their offense.

-- Alden

Most annoying part of this trade for me is having to try to learn how to spell the guy's last name in order to complain about him. I'm not even going to try. I'm going to simply refer to him as Big Cowgill.

This post made me laugh. Who knows maybe he'll rake here.

Wait I thought this was athwin.

I like this idea. Alvarez would make a nice platoon player, his numbers against righties are damn good. I don't know how the Pirates are doing this season or if they're willing to give up Alvarez, but I'd love for JD to look into acquiring him.

I could see a deal for Pedro Alvarez. Perfect for DH, but can play 1B well (much better than 3B), and 3B if needed. Would add a ton of power from the left side and shouldn't cost that much considering the Pirates have Josh Bell waiting in the wings.

I'd also like to see about trading for Josh Bell perhaps instead of Alvarez, but I'd be fine with either.

Bell is a Switch-hitter, raw power, good speed, great plate discipline. Oh and he's black, Adam. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=605137#/career/R/hitting/2015/ALL

I posted this originally in Scotty's thread about the Angels Future LF....

Kirk Nieuwenhuis was just DFA'd by the Mets. He is a left-handed bat with power. He is capable of decent walk rates but strikes out a lot. He only had 40 PA's this season with a horrible BABIP driving his slash line down into oblivion.It couldn't hurt to make a minor trade for him and test him out in LF (against RHP only) where his defense has been good. If we get closer to the deadline and he isn't working out trade for a different LF. Alternatively he could be a platoon DH option that definitely wouldn't break the bank.He seems like a guy you could take a flyer on but the Angels may not like his splits issues.

I re-post it because "Neuwsie" is strictly a platoon player (check his LHP splits they're bad) with good defense and pop. He has had a MAJOR BABIP issue this year. The other point of concern is his strikeout rate. However this was all over only 40 PA's which isn't much.

The Angels are simply hoping that he fills the LF defense approximately 70% of the time and provides some on-base ability and pop. If he doesn't they DFA him and acquire someone more reliable before the deadline.

Isn't that the sad part?

Why? This isn't the trade deadline, there is still time to make moves, why can't this just be a move that is judged solely on the trade itself? Are you going to miss Mark Kraus? If he is bad, then you call Kraus up again. His presence on the team means we can acquire a LFer that doesn't have to be able to play CF.

I could see a deal for Pedro Alvarez. Perfect for DH, but can play 1B well (much better than 3B), and 3B if needed. Would add a ton of power from the left side and shouldn't cost that much considering the Pirates have Josh Bell waiting in the wings.

I'd also like to see about trading for Josh Bell perhaps instead of Alvarez, but I'd be fine with either.

Bell is a Switch-hitter, raw power, good speed, great plate discipline. Oh and he's black, Adam. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=605137#/career/R/hitting/2015/ALL

Yes to Bell, no to Alvarez. Too many holes in his swing, would drive Angels fans crazy.

I saw him play with the Cyclones years ago. He was pretty good at that point. IIRC the name is pronounced NEW-When-Heiss. 

I wouldn't write this guy off yet. The Mets give up on a lot of players that still have potential; Niewenhuis may be one of them. The same way Ike Davis got back to form when he got away from the Mets and healed up from Valley Fever, Niewenhuis might really be a nice surprise when he's on a team that gives him a shot, doesn't turn on him, and lets him play.

However, I'm hoping that Green won't get hosed again because of this roster addition.

Edited by AngelsSurfer