• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our high priced slugger is better than yours :)

Chuck

Robinson Cano batting third for the Mariners has put up a slash line of .253/.295/.337 with one home run and just 13 RBI.

I guess that makes me feel better about Pujols awful start to his 2015 season thus far.

A .337 slugging pct. and just 13 RBI is pretty pathetic for a #3 hitter. If they didn't have Nelson Cruz they'd be looking up the A's ass in the standings.

Of course he is, while he completely ignores the last three years where Albert was the much better player.

How do you figure?

Cano's slash lines look better than Albert's the past 3 years, unless I'm missing something...

Cano has also stayed healthy where as Pujols missed a lot of time 2 seasons ago.

I knew you'd show up.

Come on Chuck, any justification for Albert's contract is just plain wrong. The fact that Seattle duplicated the process doesn't make Albert's contact any more acceptable. Fielder was a much better signing and he still has some great seasons ahead of him. That's all I'm saying.

Come on Chuck, any justification for Albert's contract is just plain wrong. The fact that Seattle duplicated the process doesn't make Albert's contact any more acceptable. Fielder was a much better signing and he still has some great seasons ahead of him. That's all I'm saying.

While completely ignoring who's been the better player so far during the length of their contracts.

I wasn't comparing Pujols to Fielder, I was saying Pujols despite a slow start this season has been better than Robinson Cano, another high priced FA signing. 

While completely ignoring who's been the better player so far during the length of their contracts.

They've both had injury issues so I excuse them both for that. They're both healthy now but only one of them is earning their paycheck. I think that's how it will be moving forward so Fielder was the better signing.

Any contract given to a player over the age of 25 that lasts longer than 7 years in excess of 20 million per year is a BAD CONTRACT.

This is a bit extreme, imo. I mean, yeah - in the real world $20M/year is ridiculous no matter what, but in baseball terms I think it is reasonable to give a great player that kind of money while still in his mid-20s. The most common noticeable decline window is around age 31-33, so let's say 32 as an average. Giving a player a 7 year contract while age 25 would be age 26-32. Seems reasonable to me.

What is completely insane, though, is giving a 31-year old a 10-year $250M contract from age 32-41 - especially when said player was showing signs of decline. Or equally bad, if not worst, is giving a head-case and drug addict a 5/$125M contract, especially when no other team even really wanted to give him 4 years. The moral of the story is: Arte, stay out of baseball operations! At least if you want your team to actually be good.

That said, no one predicted Pujols would be this bad (or Hamilton, for that matter). Remember after 2012, most people were thinking "OK, he's adjusting. We should expect better years ahead of him." Each of the last few years I admit to thinking, "This is going to be Albert's best as an Angel." Now 2012 is looking like the best we'll ever see from Albert.

The elephant in the room is that Albert's decline, for a player that was as good as he was through 2010, is historic. His career patterns make much more sense if you, well, add 2-3 years to his age. I know, there's no proof - but the pudding says otherwise.