• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Game 1 the 'Bunt'

Troll Daddy

Being a rainy day today I gave myself the day off. I watched game one against KC (for the third time) this morning.

There has been a lot of controversy here over the bunt call for Calhoun by Scioscia. Personally, I thought it was the right call in the bottom of the 8th inning in a tie game with Iannetta on first and Trout/Pujols to follow. The team needed one run for Street to preserve a playoff win. If Calhoun had executed it correctly there is a good chance the Angels win that game. Text book call by Scioscia.

Curious as to why others don't like the call.

Signed

Bored

Edited by Troll Daddy

Wasn't the count 3-1? That in it self is a questionable count to still decide to bunt on.

Also, bunting the runner over, gave them a free out, which then they would simply intentionally walk Trout. Not only does it take the bat out of Calhoun's hands, but it also takes the bat out of Trout's hands. All they would need to get out of the inning is a double play ball off the bat of Pujols, which is no rare occurrence.

Edited by Sam Sanchez

Why did you bring this up again? Now I have to read the comments of manager hindsight!

Being a rainy day today I gave myself the day off. I watched game one against KC (for the third time) this morning.

There has been a lot of controversy here over the bunt call for Calhoun by Scioscia. Personally, I thought it was the right call in the bottom of the 8th inning in a tie game with Iannetta on first and Trout/Pujols to follow. The team needed one run for Street to preserve a playoff win. If Calhoun had executed it correctly there is a good chance the Angels win that game. Text book call by Scioscia.

Curious as to why others don't like the call.

Signed

Bored

I've yet to hear a valid argument why this was a bad call by Scioscia.

Is putting the runner in scoring position with the best player in baseball on deck a bad idea in a tie game? ... with Wade Davis on the mound they were going to pitch to Trout.

You had to try and win the game in the 8th with Street coming in the 9th rain or shine.

Am i the only one who feels this way?

If we had a rabbit on the bench a pinch runner for Iannetta would of been another way to go.

Edited by Troll Daddy

You are the only one that feels that way. There was at least a 50-50 chance that with the base open they walk Trout to induce a DP ball from Albert. Would Albert have hit into a DP, I don't know, but they probably pitch around or intentionally walk Trout. Also you don't bunt with a 3-1 pitch when the batter is a good hitter and he hits lefty and the pitcher is a righty. The pitcher literally has to come into the zone on a 3-1 pitch and Calhoun would have a very hittable pitch in the strike zone to drive.

Wasn't the count 3-1? That in it self is a questionable count to still decide to bunt on.

Also, bunting the runner over, gave them a free out, which then they would simply intentionally walk Trout. Not only does it take the bat out of Calhoun's hands, but it also takes the bat out of Trout's hands. All they would need to get out of the inning is a double play ball off the bat of Pujols, which is no rare occurrence.

This is my take on it. KC would have intentionally walked Trout, because nobody fears Pujols anymore. In that situation there is probably at least a 50/50 chance that they get out of the inning on a double play grounder.

No way they walk Trout with RH Wade Davis on the mound. You don't put two runners on in that situation. They did pitch to Trout even when Iannetta took second on a wild pitch.

I believe when you have your closer coming in the ninth you don't want to waste him on a tie game. You have to get your runner in scoring position.

Still nice to hear other opinions.

You are the only one that feels that way. There was at least a 50-50 chance that with the base open they walk Trout to induce a DP ball from Albert. Would Albert have hit into a DP, I don't know, but they probably pitch around or intentionally walk Trout. Also you don't bunt with a 3-1 pitch when the batter is a good hitter and he hits lefty and the pitcher is a righty. The pitcher literally has to come into the zone on a 3-1 pitch and Calhoun would have a very hittable pitch in the strike zone to drive.

I doubt I'm the only one who understands the logic. Walking Trout to get to Pujols is a dangerous way to go in a tight game.

The odds of getting Iannetta into scoring position were much better by bunting than a 3-1 count to Calhoun.

Davis had just walked Iannetta and had gone to 3-1 to Calhoun.  He was having control issues and got bailed out.  Calhoun had shown bunt on other pitches and got the count in his favor.  Trout still had a chance to drive a runner in from 2b.  As did Pujols.  As did Kendrick.

The entire situation was an exercise in futility.  

Much like this thread.  

Im not saying Scioscia was to blame for losing the series or even that game, but it was and still is a horrible call, and it was over managing.  I understand the idea of bunting in that situation, but it just wasnt the ideal spot for it.  If I remember correctly, Calhoun went up 2-0 in the count and still stuck with the bunt.  First off, why would you want to open up 1st base for Mike Trout, with a guy notorious for GIDP hitting behind him.  You dont take the bat out of your 2nd best hitters hands to create an out, especially when the rest of your offense has done nothing the entire night.  Bunting in that situation and leaving Calhoun in the game was idiotic, when Calhoun has attempted maybe 5 bunt attempts all year.  If youre going to bunt in that situation, you bring in a guy who can bunt in his sleep.  To make matters worse, we didnt have Tony Campana on the roster, which was also a mistake.  

We should have won that series even despite the botched bunt attempt, but its just another Scioscia playoffs move added to the list that had bad consequences.  

Why did you bring this up again? Now I have to read the comments of manager hindsight!

You must not have been reading the gameday thread. Most posters were calking it bs while it was happening.

Also who is forcing you to read the comments?

I am a fan of small ball. However, I had two problems with the call.

1). I cant remember if Calhoun bunted all season. Although a professional player should be able to execute at any time, I would rather have seen him swing away.

2). The count. I think it was 3-0. Why not make the pitcher throw you a strike. Because at 3-1 you would get the same fastball.

You've heard a billion. You just choose to ignore them because...well, I don't know.

There's no right or wrong answer. There were a few good arguments but most managers call for the bunt in the 8th in a tie game with Trout and Pujols coming up.

No way they walk Trout to get to Pujols with Wade Davis on the mound.

Edited by Troll Daddy