• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Paris Shooting: 'Twelve people killed'

Lou

I might be the least tolerant person on the board but my intolerance is based on my perceptions of incompetence, intellectual laziness, and lack of principles. Although I guess I should berate myself for not having the forethought to include a derogatory term in my screen name.

If you want to argue that the Muslim dominated part of the world has some huge cultural issues and are behind the times I'd certainly agree with you. I deal with it every day. My issue here is using the term Muslims because it lazily and incorrectly paints all the followers of the religion as the bad guys. It seems like well educated people ought to be able to narrow it down just a wee bit more.

I might be the least tolerant person on the board but my intolerance is based on my perceptions of incompetence, intellectual laziness, and lack of principles. Although I guess I should berate myself for not having the forethought to include a derogatory term in my screen name.

If you want to argue that the Muslim dominated part of the world has some huge cultural issues and are behind the times I'd certainly agree with you. I deal with it every day. My issue here is using the term Muslims because it lazily and incorrectly paints all the followers of the religion as the bad guys. It seems like well educated people ought to be able to narrow it down just a wee bit more.

Isn't that exactly what I argued? Wasn't I clear to say my opinions apply to them "as a group?"

I don't think I know any Muslims. If I encountered one, I'd treat him/her the same way I treat the whites, blacks, Mexicans, and Asians I encounter: with respect and with the belief that he or she is a good person. I'd never form a prejudicial opinion of a person based on the characteristics of their group. But as a group, I think the Muslims are pretty ****ing backward.

And as for my screen name, you are probably more offended by it than any Italian actually is.

That is an incredibly large brush you are painting with. I would argue that it is more cultural than anything. West African Muslims, East Asian Muslims do not act that way, not at all.

You are correct. It doesn't apply to all, and probably not even most, Muslims.

But it applies to huge percentage of Muslims. Just look at all the oppressive parts of the world dominated by Islam. Why shouldn't they be held accountable? Why isn't it safe to say that they don't value women's rights, for example, when so many of them believe women are second class citizens?

Perhaps it is "cultural" more than "religious," I don't really know. I think it might be hard to separate the two. I just know that the biggest problems in the world right now emanate from Muslim-dominated regions, and the problem appears to be getting worse, not better.

Isn't that exactly what I argued? Wasn't I clear to say my opinions apply to them "as a group?"

I don't think I know any Muslims. If I encountered one, I'd treat him/her the same way I treat the whites, blacks, Mexicans, and Asians I encounter: with respect and with the belief that he or she is a good person. I'd never form a prejudicial opinion of a person based on the characteristics of their group. But as a group, I think the Muslims are pretty ****ing backward.

And as for my screen name, you are probably more offended by it than any Italian actually is.

If you don't know any Muslims then how do you know that they are intolerant or don't reject extremism? The middle east and Africa are a century behind in a lot of ways but they are dealing with it. For every Euro or American that gets killed there's probably 1000+ of them that are killed by the same groups.Browse through their papers. 

If you don't know any Muslims then how do you know that they are intolerant or don't reject extremism? The middle east and Africa are a century behind in a lot of ways but they are dealing with it. For every Euro or American that gets killed there's probably 1000+ of them that are killed by the same groups.Browse through their papers.

If they rejected extremism, ISIS wouldn't be thriving, dictators wouldn't run nearly every one of their states, women wouldn't get stoned in their streets (with crowds of people cheering it on), and the radical clerics wouldn't be revered as Gods.

I think if ISIS ruled here, there would be no AW.com since everyone would be executed for worshiping a false god.

This is what I don't get: if ISIS took over somewhere in America, there would be an uprising to defeat them. But in the middle east, they seemingly don't care, making me think the masses might actually support them.

How is it different? It isn't like North Korea, where the masses don't have access to weapons. Why aren't Arabs taking care of ISIS?

The vast majority of terrorist organizations don't even like IS lol. They're thriving on two failed states where civil war is rampid. They set up camp in places where there's instability and weak law enforcement.

I would say the hijacking of Air France in the 90's was bigger than this. They tried to crash a plane into the Eiffel Tower. Thankfully the French forces did a miraculous job minimizing damage. So these recent events aren't anything new to France.

I have heard a lot of derogatory things said about the French, particularly when it comes to their performance in conflict. One of my enduring memories of Paris is getting off the Eurostar at the Gare du Nord train station and seeing a couple of uniformed men with automatic weapons arresting people around the station, most of whom appeared to be Arabic. I thought to myself, these people don't mess around.

The vast majority of terrorist organizations don't even like IS lol. They're thriving on two failed states where civil war is rampid. They set up camp in places where there's instability and weak law enforcement.

But it isn't just ISIS. What about all the atrocities that routinely happen in Pakistan? Why don't they confront and eradicate extremism there? Same for Saudi Arabia, which is by no means a poor country incapable of progress.

i don't  know any white  supremists but I'm  fairly certain i know about their intolerances.

This is what I don't get: if ISIS took over somewhere in America, there would be an uprising to defeat them. But in the middle east, they seemingly don't care, making me think the masses might actually support them.

ISIS is a creation of the failed faux-democracy that Bush II launched in Iraq and the civil war in Syria that is prolonged so the Russians and Chinese can make sure they get a proper puppet installed to rule over the rubble. Several Arab countries are flying missions against them everyday. Jordan even had a pilot captured. There's a lot of political and cultural baggage that keeps them from deploying ground forces yet but for months they've been battling.

When I was at UC Santa Cruz there was a mandatory class the freshman at my college had to take, they made them stand up and "admit" tot he rest of the class that they were gay, black, Mexican, Astros fans... That kind of stuff, to make them pussies.

Some of you seem like you are pussies.

Well, yeah you experienced that, because UC Santa Cruz.

i agree with you, but i think what we see happening is their perceived mission to rid the world of infidels.

what we see with these extremists is that they have absolutely no interest in living a life that's productive. they contribute nothing to the world other than to defend their religion in the most aggressive, violent way possible. they don't make anything, they don't produce anything, and muslim nations tend to live in very poor conditions (outside of the oil producers).

Nail on head.

Im not st all suggesting its right to go to war for material reasons, but the extremist movement serves only to change the life of strangers who see the world different than they do. Its not at all about making the ME better, its actually to make it worse.

Sadly, we in the west hear what happens in the region, but maybe 5 percent of it. The people living there, the majority who could care less about the rest of the world, are victims of that movement far more than we will ever be. What happened last week is a daily, almost hourly occurance out there.

Whats baffling is how many of these fanatics are well educated...and the increasing amount of them who are young and grew up in the west.