• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Johnny Giavotella

martinpa25

His Minor League numbers are strong actually he just hasn't carried it over to the Majors obviously. Good consistent OBP in the Minors too.

Just another contestant to win the 2nd base job, if, the price is right (which it was for another reliever).

This is exactly who Josh Rutledge is, isn't it?  The only difference is the price they paid.  Jairo Diaz is a lot better than Brian Broderick. 

Too bad those AAA numbers haven't translated. He was actually a decent prospect four years ago--Sickels had him 12th on his 2011 Royal list, at a time when the Royals had a ridiculously deep system--but just didn't develop. It also could be that he wasn't given a fair shake and could still develop into a nice bench player.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Too bad those AAA numbers haven't translated. He was actually a decent prospect four years ago--Sickels had him 12th on his 2011 Royal list, at a time when the Royals had a ridiculously deep system--but just didn't develop. It also could be that he wasn't given a fair shake and could still develop into a nice bench player.

by all accounts he's a poor defender at 2b.  So that could be it.  His defense wasn't there to keep him in the lineup and let his bat adjust to major league pitching.  Once the bat wasn't doing it, he was ousted.  

Not a bad move -- I hear all the naysayers here -- but one thing about this guy, he's what? 37 now? its hard to think he's that old, just last year he was a 'prospect' it seems -- when he first came up this guy would run like the wind.......he's essentially a MIF version of Jarrod Dyson -- another KC speedster.

this guy is OK MIF at D and is the type of guy you can pinch run (or PH in bunting situation) in the late innings of a close game and then have him play late inning D at 2B (more so that SS -- probably doesn't have the arm for SS).

Problem with this guy has always been finding a roster spot -- he always seems to the 26th or 27th guy coming out of camp --hard to devote a roster spot to guy that hits .200 on a good day.

So what's the harm of parking him at SLC as a 4-A player, let him hold down the fort there as insurance and as injuries arise or was we face an NL team, we can bring this guy up and he could make the difference in some close games.......

if Freese gets on base in the 7th inning - who do you want on the basepaths?  Freese or this guy?

my mistake -- Giaovtelli is 27 not 37. I thought so,.

guys was up with Royals stealing bases and running wild on the base paths (having pinch run -- getting on base himself always a problem) not that long ago -- and then Dyson and the other OF speedster KC has sort of took his place on the roster.......which for Giovatella was always part time up and down from AAA anyway.

Wow, Rutledge, Green, Featherston, and Giavotella. I am so incredibly uninspired by who we will see at second this year. 

Where are all the Howie haters now?

i'll take heaney and two of those above over kendrick. no doubt. it's not even about "hating" howie, which is dumb anyway.

Hey, Grant Green is actually pretty good.......not the best on D but not terrible either and Green has some pop in his bat.

If he plays every day, I could see Green hitting 15-20 HRs this year.

Rutledge is a decent MIF depth guy and can also play 3B -- he has some speed which means he can PR for Freese and play 3B in the late innings.

Giavotella will be a 4-A at SLC and could really help us in September is his speed has maintained what it used to be.

Featherston ? not sure where he fits in.......perhaps a full season at SLC.

Hey, Grant Green is actually pretty good.......not the best on D but not terrible either and Green has some pop in his bat.

If he plays every day, I could see Green hitting 15-20 HRs this year.

Rutledge is a decent MIF depth guy and can also play 3B -- he has some speed which means he can PR for Freese and play 3B in the late innings.

Giavotella will be a 4-A at SLC and could really help us in September is his speed has maintained what it used to be.

Featherston ? not sure where he fits in.......perhaps a full season at SLC.

the only way featherston spends any time in SLC this year is if the rockies don't want him back from the angels, which is highly unlikely. rule five guys have to stay on the mlb roster if they're not hurt.

ah, yes -- he's a rule 5 guy -- which means he could very well make the roster......and I think rule 5 guys have to stay on the 25 man roster all season so he can't be sent out -- or it he is, he gets sent back to the Rockies........thanks for correcting that.

don't know much about faetherston -- guess he competes with Rutledge for that MIF/3B bench depth roster spot.

I am somewhat familiar with Rutledge, he actually started for the Rockies for parts of at least two seasons.

I think of all of them, Featherston excites me the most because of his power/speed combo, versatility and youth. He also has to overtake Green and Rutledge just to stay.

I like Green's offensive upside the most. He'd be the one closest to Howie in terms of offense. With a couple of years, he may even be as good if not better than Howie at the plate.

Rutledge has the inside track inbred starting gig which is completely uninspiring. I mean at his very best what are you getting?.280 with no pop and average defense.

Giovotella and Yarbrough will be in AAA, they both bring a pretty decent skill set. Gio can hit for average and run the bases. Used to be a top prospect. Alex is a switch hitter that died a bit of everything much like Calhoun. He has some pop, plays good defense, can run and even hits for average. Just about the only thing he isn't great at is reaching base and even then he'd be average in that department.

• 9 months later...

I think of all of them, Featherston excites me the most because of his power/speed combo, versatility and youth. He also has to overtake Green and Rutledge just to stay.

I like Green's offensive upside the most. He'd be the one closest to Howie in terms of offense. With a couple of years, he may even be as good if not better than Howie at the plate.

Rutledge has the inside track inbred starting gig which is completely uninspiring. I mean at his very best what are you getting?.280 with no pop and average defense.

Giovotella and Yarbrough will be in AAA, they both bring a pretty decent skill set. Gio can hit for average and run the bases. Used to be a top prospect. Alex is a switch hitter that died a bit of everything much like Calhoun. He has some pop, plays good defense, can run and even hits for average. Just about the only thing he isn't great at is reaching base and even then he'd be average in that department.

I agree