• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When Will You See...42

When Will You See...  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 42

• Theaters
    • DVD/Cable/Etc
    • Never

I don't know why, but a nitpick line I have from the trailer is "Jackie Robinson, a black man in white baseball!" Just seems like pretty bad dialogue that makes me like the movie is going to feel like a made-for-TV biopic and it bugs me each to the commercial plays. Especially the delivery of it.

Oh yeah, and there's this...

42-movie-poster.jpg

The new trailer for "42" presents Jackie Robinson like you've never seen him before. Our own AngelsWin.com historical write & author of "Once They Were Angels" Rob Goldman, plays the role of the first base coachin the film, hitting the theatres on April 13, 2013. 

Written and directed by Brian Helgeland ("L.A. Confidential"), "42" tells the story of Jackie Robinson and his difficult journey to becoming the first African-American baseball player to reach the major leagues. Newcomer Chadwick Boseman stars as Robinson, and if the trailer is any indication, is a great choice. He's got Robinson's build and swagger, and looks like a ball player. Harrison Ford stars as Branch Rickey, the Brooklyn Dodgers executive who signed Robinson. 

"42" looks like it may be a big hit in the box office next Spring. Even President Barack Obama wanted to check out the set over the summer. 

Ehh I might see it. I know the story and really doesn't interest me all that much. Jackie Robinson wasn't even that great a ball player. What he went thru was hell but is he really an all time great? 

He averaged .311 BA  .409 OBP .883 OPS over 10 seasons.  Didn't play in the majors until he was 28

HOF  6-time AS, ROY, MVP, Batting title

197 of 227 SB attempts  ( 87%)

Pretty darn good.

He averaged .311 BA  .409 OBP .883 OPS over 10 seasons.  Didn't play in the majors until he was 28

HOF  6-time AS, ROY, MVP, Batting title

197 of 227 SB attempts  ( 87%)

Pretty darn good.

I'd say so! 

I wasn't sure when this was coming out but I was just re reading "Jackie Robinson" a Biography by Arnold Rampersad last week.  Considering his injuries he had a remarkable career.  What an athlete.  I wouldn't miss this movie for anything. 

A bit of trivia.  I drove over to Chattanooga when this was being filmed last year.  Some shots were at old "Engel" stadium, the old home of the Chattanooga Lookouts. I could have been an extra but sadly had to drive back home.  I think it would even paid $60.  a day or so.  win win  Wish I would have done it now.

I had the day off so I went and saw 42. It was much better than I thought it would be. The previews don't give it justice. The score is a little over-dramatic and there are some unnecessary slow-mo scenes but all in all a great flick. Take your kids to it but beware, there are n-bombs galore as you would expect.