• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I would rather lose the way we did...

It's much easier to turn the page (sorry) after getting swept early than it is losing in a Game Seven in the Series. But years from now, those Royals fans will point to this year with pride and remember the three series they won just to get there.

I remember 1979, 1982 and 1986 for all the big wins it took just to get us into the playoffs, beating out the Royals the first two times and the Rangers in 86. I remember beating the A's to make it in 2004 and 2005. I remember beating the Yankees in the first round and KRod racing to the bag to clinch Game Five. I remember playing in New York, Anaheim and Chicago in consecutive days and winning the last two of those. I remember finally beating Boston in a postseason game in 2008 and being SO close to bringing it back home (thanks, Aytard). And of course I remember beating Boston in three games the next year.

Playoff losses are cruel, but don't let them erase the big wins you had just to get in that position. Of course, us winning in 2002 makes it much, much easier to do that. I'd hate to be a Vikings, Bills, or Browns fan in football or Cubs fan in baseball.

Wow… this thread needs a psychologist.

I'll take winning playoff games over losing both home playoff games en route to a 1st round sweep. Royals fans had a TON OF FUN this october. Higher than kites for 4 weeks, believing 100% until the final out was made. It's been a long time, I know, but playoff wins are AWESOME. Better than regular season come from behind walk-off home runs on your birthday. It's the ride that creates long time attending fans, a world series just makes the team a larger part of the city's culture.

AL Pennants fly forever. 

I can not see the other side of the coin on this one.

AL West Division title flags fly forever, too

Edited by Lou

It's much easier to turn the page (sorry) after getting swept early than it is losing in a Game Seven in the Series. But years from now, those Royals fans will point to this year with pride and remember the three series they won just to get there.

I remember 1979, 1982 and 1986 for all the big wins it took just to get us into the playoffs, beating out the Royals the first two times and the Rangers in 86. I remember beating the A's to make it in 2004 and 2005. I remember beating the Yankees in the first round and KRod racing to the bag to clinch Game Five. I remember playing in New York, Anaheim and Chicago in consecutive days and winning the last two of those. I remember finally beating Boston in a postseason game in 2008 and being SO close to bringing it back home (thanks, Aytard). And of course I remember beating Boston in three games the next year.

Playoff losses are cruel, but don't let them erase the big wins you had just to get in that position. Of course, us winning in 2002 makes it much, much easier to do that. I'd hate to be a Vikings, Bills, or Browns fan in football or Cubs fan in baseball.

i don't look back on the '86 season fondly at all

I have some great memories from the 1986 ALCS. For one I remember running out on the field after winning Saturday night's game. We were dancing on the pitcher's mound and a cop told us to get off the field. The cop was as happy as we were.

After reading through this thread, I wish I was still coaching high school baseball because I would change my entire philosophy. I remember having a team that over achieved the entire season. We qualified for the regional, beat two teams that were higher ranked than we were, and lost in the regional championship game. I remember huddling in the outfield after the game and telling the kids how proud of them I was. That the loss in the game we just finished was tough but the victories that placed us in that game were special and they can be proud of what they accomplished. But if I could go back to 1988, I would now have a completely different message. I would tell them they were losers. That believing in themselves, picking each other up, winning big game after big game when no one expected it, and battling until the final pitch of the region championship game doesn't mean anything because we are getting on the bus without the trophy. I would make sure they were ashamed of themselves and not proud of anything they accomplished.

Edited by Coachbulldog

After reading through this thread, I wish I was still coaching high school baseball because I would change my entire philosophy. I remember having a team that over achieved the entire season. We qualified for the regional, beat two teams that were higher ranked than we were, and lost in the regional championship game. I remember huddling in the outfield after the game and telling the kids how proud of them I was. That the loss in the game we just finished was tough but the victories that placed us in that game were special and they can be proud of what they accomplished. But if I could go back to 1988, I would now have a completely different message. I would tell them they were losers. That believing in themselves, picking each other up, winning big game after big game when no one expected it, and battling until the final pitch of the region championship game doesn't mean anything because we are getting on the bus without the trophy. I would make sure they were ashamed of themselves and not proud of anything they accomplished.

I know you would like to think that is relevant to this thread, but really dont bother with your little league stories. Obviously theres a big difference between kids sports and Major League Baseball.

And the Royals have nothing to be ashamed of. They tried their best and got as far as they could. But they should be proud of their effort, not the fact that they won the AL, because it ultimately means nothing.

I know you would like to think that is relevant to this thread, but really dont bother with your little league stories. Obviously theres a big difference between kids sports and Major League Baseball.

And the Royals have nothing to be ashamed of. They tried their best and got as far as they could. But they should be proud of their effort, not the fact that they won the AL, because it ultimately means nothing.

For that matter winning the WS ultimately means nothing.  It's not like finding a cure for cancer or ending world hunger.

Yeah, these guys were a buncha losers.  You've learned from this experience - I suggest you go back into coaching to make sure the next crop of losers know what's what.

If only these Royals fans could have experienced the '04 sweep, where Washburn comes in to serve up an Ortiz meatball.  Or the sweep where Garret got stinkeye, and Shrimpy hit cleanup.  Or if they could have been on the other end of this year's sweep.  They'd have been much better off experiencing Hammy.  If they knew what's good for them, they'd trade the last month of series victories and World Series games to just experience what angel fans had this year.

I completely disagree. The goal is to make it to the World Series. I would've much rather seen the Angels battling until a Game 7 of the World Series than seeing them swept in the 1st round. 

Sure, it's a tougher loss but playing in the World Series is what your goal should be every year. 

If only these Royals fans could have experienced the '04 sweep, where Washburn comes in to serve up an Ortiz meatball.  Or the sweep where Garret got stinkeye, and Shrimpy hit cleanup.  Or if they could have been on the other end of this year's sweep.  They'd have been much better off experiencing Hammy.  If they knew what's good for them, they'd trade the last month of series victories and World Series games to just experience what angel fans had this year.

Yeah I'm so glad we didn't have to face Bumgarner, that guy's a beast!

My favorite part of this thread is it's like 100 people think QM is a moron for having this opinion and like 2 that see his point, but QM keeps up the fight. He even said to one of our most rational and respected board members that HIS comparison was dumb. Not just dumb but the only thing dumb about this thread. Chuck must be so proud to have you as a FB friend.