• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If the Giants win the World Series....

Ohtaniland

Best franchise of the decade? Yes.  Dynasty?  No. Some people are too quick to assign a "dynasty" title to a team.  UCLA basketball was a dynasty.  The Boston Celtics were a dynasty...

Edited by True Grich

How can Bochy be considered the best manager if the postseason is just a crap shoot.

Maybe the luckiest manager, sure.

Poker is a better analogy. A skilled player (manager who pushes the right buttons) has a better chance to win but anyone can get knocked out on a bad beat. (in this analgoy, a Yost-Managed team could beat a Bochy-managed team)

Best franchise of the decade? Yes. Dynasty? No. Some people are too quick to assign a "dynasty" title to a team. UCLA basketball was a dynasty. The Boston Celtics were a dynasty...

TG winning a world championship is a very difficult thing to do. The Giants are on the verge of doing it 3 times in 5 seasons. That's dynasty in my opinion if they get it done. Here at @ngelswin we continue to talk about 2002. Which season will the Giants fans refer to, 2010, 2012 or 2014?

In the post roids era coupled with free agency it's a damn nice accomplishment that has to have Arte shaking his head. Bochy has done a great job in SF.

Edited by CALZONE

Ahh so baseball is like poker now.  Right.

It's a better analogy than your crapshoot comparison. The manager can make moves but ultimately the work is done by the cards. Not all rosters (hands) are equal, some are much better than others, but a skilled manager makes a difference.

They were bad in 2013 and missed the playoffs in 2011. I'd say they're the best franchise of the decade but dynasty may not make sense since they missed the playoffs twice in this run they've had.

The ability to bounce-back is also a dynasty trait. You can't just win one and disappear for a decade.

It's a better analogy than your crapshoot comparison. The manager can make moves but ultimately the work is done by the cards. Not all rosters (hands) are equal, some are much better than others, but a skilled manager makes a difference.

Personally I dont believe in the crapshoot or poker analogy.  

Bochy obviously knows how to prepare his players for the postseason.  If you watch this Giants team you are watching a team that has great at bats, keeps the bat level through the zone, and they dont try to do too much other then just put the ball in play and get on base.  They look like completely different team then the Angels, who have a much higher payroll and steamrolled the regular season. 

You need a certain style of play to win in the postseason, it has nothing to do with luck imo.  Whatever were doing, it isnt working.  And I dont care how many wins we have in the regular season.  Throughout the regular season we get to beat up on teams like the Rangers and Astros.  Teams are constantly moving parts around and calling up guys, and battling injuries.  If you cant even show up in the postseason, 98 wins doesnt mean anything.

Personally I dont believe in the crapshoot or poker analogy.  

Bochy obviously knows how to prepare his players for the postseason.  If you watch this Giants team you are watching a team that has great at bats, keeps the bat level through the zone, and they dont try to do too much other then just put the ball in play and get on base.  They look like completely different team then the Angels, who have a much higher payroll and steamrolled the regular season. 

You need a certain style of play to win in the postseason, it has nothing to do with luck imo.  Whatever were doing, it isnt working.  And I dont care how many wins we have in the regular season.  Throughout the regular season we get to beat up on teams like the Rangers and Astros.  Teams are constantly moving parts around and calling up guys, and battling injuries.  If you cant even show up in the postseason, 98 wins doesnt mean anything.

This is an excellent rebuttal to those who say the status quo with our team is fine and that we don't need significant changes.

Second best winning percerntage in the league in the last decade at close to .600 yet a .300 winning percentage in the playoffs.

Calzone - I'm not trying to diminish the accomplishments of the Giants IF they win the WS.  I'm just putting it in the proper perspective.  I have a higher bar for "dynasty" labels.  We just have to agree to disagree.

In my young life as a baseball fan so far, Bruce Bochy is the best manager i've ever seen. Not remotely kidding...

He is a very good manager but lets look at something.  Is it the manager or the organization.  Bochy managed the Padres from 95 to 06.  He made 4 post seasons in those 11 years.  In those 4 post seasons his record was 7-16.  He lost 3 times in the opening round and made the WS once where he promptly got swept.

So the question is, did he get smarter or does he just have better players now?